Thread: which ORY?

Black
    1999 trans am

which ORY?

I have pacesetter LTs and am in need of a y pipe... I was talking to a buddy and he said the pacesetter pipe is junk because of the way they connect the 2 pipes. Is the pacesetter pipe really that bad?

So the choice is between pacesetter ORY or Texas Speed ORY?
    Last edited by stew215; 07-19-2010 at 05:25 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

both suck really. get a custom one made by a shop near you. you wont regret it

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have a pacesetter on mine and had no problems, and the fit was great. maybe i got lucky but i am about to buy another one. for my other car.

Black
    1999 trans am

I would have a shop do it but I don't have the time to put the headers on and drop the car off. I need to do this all at one time. The car is my DD and I go to school full time/work on my time off school. Later on down the road I will probably get a custom Y but for now I need a pre made piece.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

mine's a pacesetter ORY... easy to install & affordable. i had no issues installing my ORY, just takes some patience.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

tsp ory worked great for me, no problems whatsoever. Good merge and easy on the wallet

Quote Originally Posted by stew215 View Post
    I have pacesetter LTs and am in need of a y pipe... I was talking to a buddy and he said the pacesetter pipe is junk because of the way they connect the 2 pipes. Is the pacesetter pipe really that bad?

So the choice is between pacesetter ORY or Texas Speed ORY?
    Your buddy is right.
    I've bought 2 of the pacesetter off road Y's. It's basically a "T" merge. I cut mine apart because I had to reposition the driver side pipe and I found a very small 2 inch hole cut with a torch, and alot of slag. Extremely piss poor if you ask me considering this is all 3 inch piping.
    I ended up cutting the hole to match the pipe and rewelding.

My opinion,,,,look elsewhere at a Y that has a nice uniform merge collector. You might pay more but you know the saying...........

I'm eventually going to switch mine out,,,and have been looking at Texas Speed Y's, they are affordable. Then something that looked better came along via a member here on the board.
    He bought a nice looking Y from LSXtreme that looked very well made. Nice mandrel bends around the troublesome driver side floor and what looked to be a well made merge. Claimed fitment was excellent and I believe it was priced better than or at least comparable to the Texas Speed Y.

Black
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    He bought a nice looking Y from LSXtreme that looked very well made. Nice mandrel bends around the troublesome driver side floor and what looked to be a well made merge. Claimed fitment was excellent and I believe it was priced better than or at least comparable to the Texas Speed Y.
    Do you know if this Y was made for pacesetter LTs?

Quote Originally Posted by stew215 View Post
    Do you know if this Y was made for pacesetter LTs?
    The fellow here that was trying it had Pacesetter long tube headers and he stated it fit great. There was a post on it a couple months back or so. He had some pics of the install and how the driver side pipe was made. It appeared to be just what I was looking for.

On the same token, many people use the Texas Speed Y on the pacesetter headers as well without issues. Although I do here of some complaints here and there. I was going to buy a pair of their Y's anyway because I didn't see a better alternative,,,,that is until LSxtreme popped out of no where.

Here ya go,,,I still had this sitting in my email allert.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136128

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have a TSP catless y and Pacesetter headers and had no problems at all. I just flattened the pipe a little where it gets close to the frame piece on the drivers side

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    I have a TSP catless y and Pacesetter headers and had no problems at all. I just flattened the pipe a little where it gets close to the frame piece on the drivers side
    Ya that's exactly what I don't want to do. Which is why I have shyed away from the TSP.

Looking at the LSxtreme pipe, it is actually mandrel bent around the floor in that area so no pipe smashing required.

My Pacesetter off road Y-pipes were already smashed like that (from Pacesetter) and I still had clearance issues. I didn't want to smash it more, which is why I cut it, repositioned and rewelded it.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

^^^ i just barely had to tap it down. maybe a 1/4 inch. its hardly noticable and doesnt hit at all. but it depends on who and how its put on i guess.

Thread Information