Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Ordered some new parts, am I missing anything?

Yesterday, a day which will be forever referred to as legendary in my mind, I ordered

1) Longtube headers
    2) TSP Y-pipe
    3) SLP Lid

Am I missing anything to complete the install? I'm also deleting the EGR. Gonna make my own plates to shut it all up too.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

gaskets for the headers should be able to use the stock ones. and band clamps for the exhaust.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Did you get new O2 sensors with the longer harness, or extensions for your existing ones?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Did you get new O2 sensors with the longer harness, or extensions for your existing ones?
    I knew I forgot something. Rear corvette 02 sensors it is..

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Band-aids for your knuckles. Have fun

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Band-aids are for punks rub some oil and dirt in there

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

Just replaced my headers a weak ago. I hope you have small hands and patience. I would never do it again. Plus just delete the EGR and AIR system they are useless components. You will need to have a tune done anyway just have them tuned out with the secondary O2 sensors. And if you haven't done a tune up now is the time. By the way if your interested I have an extra 2 1/2" electric cut out I need to sell if your interested. A

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

if you have a lift it makes life a lot easier, took me and my brother about 2.5 to 3 hours to take off manifolds all the way to the tips off, put new plugs in, install the headers and put new wires on. If you have stock plugs and wires, why not upgrade them while you have the extra room?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Good idea, I'll be sure to do that too while I have the chance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Remember Anti-seize and PB Blaster are your friends.
    Beer for buddies that help

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I just did headers a couple weeks ago. Some things I figured out:

- Make sure you have enough lift. You won't need much to get everything off, but you won't be able to fit the headers under the car if you don't have enough. I'd estimate 20" minimum clearance is needed. 24" is better. A lift is ideal.

- Have a good assortment of sockets and extensions

- When you try to raise the headers into place, identify places where it's hitting something and work out a common sense way to alleviate the problem. If you try to force them in there, you'll crack a plug (if they're in) or scratch the headers up or dent them.

- The 02 extensions sold by numerous online retailers work great. They're weatherproof and plug right in. My car hasn't been driven much and the 02s are still perfect or I would have got the Corvette rears, but the extensions are a quality product and much cheaper.

- Remove the EGR first, and also remove the passenger-side coil pack before getting started. Makes things much easier.

- A good torque wrench that gives you positive clicks (not just one barely discernible click) is helpful on the header bolts.

- Oh forgot to add... Advanced Auto had a 1 3/8-1 1/2 freeze plug that will fill the EGR opening in your intake, if you hadn't considered that yet...

This job would have sucked alone. With a buddy it was really no big deal. Time consuming but fun and definitely worth it for the results. If you take your time and are thorough you'll be really happy with the results.
    Last edited by nmbr5ml; 01-29-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    I just did headers a couple weeks ago. Some things I figured out:

- Make sure you have enough lift. You won't need much to get everything off, but you won't be able to fit the headers under the car if you don't have enough. I'd estimate 20" minimum clearance is needed. 24" is better. A lift is ideal.

- Have a good assortment of sockets and extensions

- When you try to raise the headers into place, identify places where it's hitting something and work out a common sense way to alleviate the problem. If you try to force them in there, you'll crack a plug (if they're in) or scratch the headers up or dent them.

- The 02 extensions sold by numerous online retailers work great. They're weatherproof and plug right in. My car hasn't been driven much and the 02s are still perfect or I would have got the Corvette rears, but the extensions are a quality product and much cheaper.

- Remove the EGR first, and also remove the passenger-side coil pack before getting started. Makes things much easier.

- A good torque wrench that gives you positive clicks (not just one barely discernible click) is helpful on the header bolts.

- Oh forgot to add... Advanced Auto had a 1 3/8-1 1/2 freeze plug that will fill the EGR opening in your intake, if you hadn't considered that yet...

This job would have sucked alone. With a buddy it was really no big deal. Time consuming but fun and definitely worth it for the results. If you take your time and are thorough you'll be really happy with the results.
    Great info man. I really appreciate the help from everyone. I'm excited because the Trans Am I had before had everything done to it so I didn't appreciate it as much, this Camaro feels much more like my own project and I'm happy for that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When I did mine I tried to do everything on the top side first. Then after car was in the air I didn't have to worry about going back in forth as much. Highly recommend having a buddy help you. Its a real bitch to hold headers from the bottom and try to put bolts in. Also be prepare for the drivers side headers to have issues. It seems there are as many issues as there are headers. I got lucky and was able to get mine up there without lifting the engine up. Many will say while down there go ahead and install new motor mounts. More work but worth it if you go with the poly.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Band-aids are for punks rub some oil and dirt in there
    That's what I did, I was just trying to boost the economy by getting him to buy some Band-aids

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Motor mounts.

Your stock mounts are going to be worn out and while you have everything apart you might as well upgrade the motor mounts to polys. This will help you out tremendously by lessening the possibility of the Y slapping the floor when the motor torques.

I ended up getting new OEM gaskets because when I pulled my manifolds off the stock gaskets fell apart. The gaskets are around $30+ each, but are WAY better than the paper/fiber gaskets that come with most headers.

Lastly, plan for a tune to tune out the EGR/AIR codes. Frost does great work and is fast. I waited until I had done a bit more work (changed rear gear as well) and the car runs dramatically different before and after the tune with headers.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yeah I'm looking for a 9" at the moment as well, once I get all of that complete I plan on getting it tuned by frost. I don't know who else to take it to around here in Orlando that I would trust, I used to be spoiled because Mike Norris was literally 5 min from where I live.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

dam i might have to pay someone to put my headers on LoL! i might as well buy new motor mounts,plugs,wires,rear corvette o2 sensors or 02 sensor extensions etc while im at it,i had it good with my first two T/A's they both had headers,y pipe & full exhaust already i thought the third time was a charm? LoL!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Thanks for the referral and nice words!

Tuning gives a lot of bang for the buck if done with headers and lid!
    http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products_m03.htm

Thread Information