Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ok how about a quick vote on these 2 brands?

This is a discussion on ok how about a quick vote on these 2 brands? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Gaskets are cheap I'd replace them. I had to install my headers 2 times because I tried to save a ...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Gaskets are cheap I'd replace them. I had to install my headers 2 times because I tried to save a few dollars and reuse the gaskets. It's ok I upgraded the headers while I was at it. Both headers you are looking at are great, I would just see who has a sale or better price. I went with QTP race headers and ORY since they were cheaper fit great and I like the polished finish.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I have Kooks and like them. And their ORY fit nicely and tucks up under the car very well. I have some rasp between 2000 and 2500 rpm on medium to heavy throttle. The rest of the rpm sounds really nice. I have the Borla 3 inch adjustable cat back with no plate. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a couple plates to see if I can muffle the rasp. If I can, I'm golden. If not, then I'm gonna do dual exhaust.
    Hey Cutlass. I also have the Kooks and adj Borla. I know what you mean about the rasp. I've tried the closed plate which helped make the rasp a little less noticable but overall the exhaust was too quiet so I put the smallest plate in there now and right in that rpm range there's a rasp that I'm not to fond of. Other than that it sounds great. I'm curious to know if you're able to get rid of that rasp.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yah I made 2 plates today. One with a 1" hole in it and one that was a complete block off. I agree, complete block off is too quiet. 1" holes is ok. The rasp never completely went away. It kinda sucks. All this money in the exhaust and I don't like how it sounds. I can't really dump any more money in the exhaust now so I'll live with it. In the mean time, I'm gonna read every exhaust thread I can find until I come up with a solution or an exhaust system I wanna try.
    Anyone know if the Flowmaster Y-pipe merge will fix the rasp?? Or should I just go duals?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

OP let me know if this threadjacking is annoying the heck out of you and you want me to take my raspy Borla conversation outta here.

Ok here's a quick update. I put my car on the hoist today to get a good look at everything and found out my ORY had moved around on me a bit and was touching the tunnel near the transmission tailshaft. I think that was part my annoying "rasp" noise. So I adjusted it and the rest of the exhaust and drove it and found that the rasp was pretty much completely gone or really difficult to induce. Possibly that "rasp" was a rattleoops.
    But by the time I got back home it was back again so I'll have to check it my ORY moved on my again or what.
    Too be continued...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok here's a quick update. I put my car on the hoist today to get a good look at everything and found out my ORY had moved around on me a bit and was touching the tunnel near the transmission tailshaft. I think that was part my annoying "rasp" noise. So I adjusted it and the rest of the exhaust and drove it and found that the rasp was pretty much completely gone or really difficult to induce. Possibly that "rasp" was a rattleoops.
    But by the time I got back home it was back again so I'll have to check it my ORY moved on my again or what.
    Too be continued...

Are you considering that bracket that you posted up (I think it was you)?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes I am considering it but I'd like to see what I can do first.
    Also now that I adjusted it and got my SFCs on, my y pipe bangs on the floor, so now I have 3 areas of exhaust/body contact.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm also considering poly motor mounts

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

OK!! So I jambed an old rubber exhaust hanger in between the y pipe and the body and went for a quick road test. ALL abnormal noises gone!! So now I just need a more permenent solution to hold the y pipe down a bit further away from the floor and my car will sound awesome again!!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is the Y hitting that bracket on the driver side of the tunnel?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

OK!! So I jambed an old rubber exhaust hanger in between the y pipe and the body and went for a quick road test. ALL abnormal noises gone!! So now I just need a more permenent solution to hold the y pipe down a bit further away from the floor and my car will sound awesome again!!
    have you tried to loosen the I-pipe where it goes over the axle and twist that a little bit. When you twist that pipe it changes the angle that it connects to the y with and completely stopped my y-pipe bang.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Is the Y hitting that bracket on the driver side of the tunnel?

I believe its hitting the bracing in the right side of this pic. Right where the y-pipe bends and heads towards the center of the car.

Its was also hitting where the y pipe connects to the catback. I believe that is solved.

It was/is also hitting where the pipe goes over the rear axle. I've made some progress there but there isn't much clearance there. I think I can get it better.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    have you tried to loosen the I-pipe where it goes over the axle and twist that a little bit. When you twist that pipe it changes the angle that it connects to the y with and completely stopped my y-pipe bang.
    yah I tried a bit but I believe more adjustment is needed. I'll work on that this weekend.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's where I had the biggest problem. By pulling the Y back off the collectors a bit and rotating it counterclockwise on the passenger side collector (looking from the back) I was able to gain the clearance I needed. To gain clearance over the panhard brace, I slid the mid-pipe about 1/4" back off the Y before clamping everything down.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

its not annoying at all......my headers should be hear anyday now and i also have the adjustable borla so i am concerned with these issues since i plan on getting subframe connectors and an adjustable panhard bar once im lowered......but im also going to be using the bump stop hanger for the y pipe

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    its not annoying at all......my headers should be hear anyday now and i also have the adjustable borla so i am concerned with these issues since i plan on getting subframe connectors and an adjustable panhard bar once im lowered......but im also going to be using the bump stop hanger for the y pipe
    It will sound awesome when its not banging and rattling around against the floor. It just takes some adjustment and maybe poly engine mounts/bump stop hanger. I'm gonna try to fix it with adjustments only since I don't wanna spend any more for a while.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Formula M6

It will sound awesome when its not banging and rattling around against the floor. It just takes some adjustment and maybe poly engine mounts/bump stop hanger. I'm gonna try to fix it with adjustments only since I don't wanna spend any more for a while.
    Well I guess I'll get my car up in the air and take a look around for any clearance issues. So you don't here that rasp anymore uh? That's cool hopefully I have the same result.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes I believe all the "rasp" I was hearing was actually rattling exhaust. I'll let you know of the final results when I get around to working on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information