Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter size

black
    firebird formula 99

Oil filter size

Hey guys Ive heard you can run a bigger filter on the ls1 but im not sure what size it is and if i ran a bigger one would it hurt anything and would it be worth even doing?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

problem with running a larger filter is the area where it's located, kinda wraps around the filter next to the oil pan so you can realy go bigger in diamiter, and length is a issue also, the tall the filter, the more it hangs down below the protection of the cross member.

if it concerns you to run a larger filter, you should get you a remote filter relocation kit and roll from there.

black
    firebird formula 99

yeah thats what i was thinking i know its limited on space i just didnt know if it would help/improve anything

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

not really.. stay with the stock size, every chevy motor from 92 and up use a small filter assy, but they're just as effective

black
    firebird formula 99

Oh ok thanks buddy

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I use the longer one. Its only about an inch and a half longer. If my oil filter gets hit then so are my headers, BMR k member and steering rack. Ive never been concerned with the filter getting hit.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have also run the longer filter on our car with no issues. Currently back to the shorter style though.

White
    72 HQ Holden

A bigger filter as in more surface area can be nuthin but good for your engine, i can't comment on physical problems with clearance etc but a smaller filter with the same amount of debri will obviously flow less oil then a larger surface area filter with the same amount of crud in it, Filters with synthetic media can get away with a smaller overall 'can' size because the filter media is so much finer and filters smaller particles down to 10microns, by this i mean the crossection of the filter paper, the fibres i guess you could call it,(when looked at under a microscope) takes up far less room, so theres more room for holes for oil to pass thru, I always use K&N oil filters they have the 10micron synthetic media and are not to expensive. I think the average premium filter like RYCO or COOPER are rated at about 40microns and i suspect that being cheaper they are def not synthetic media. Just my 2cents.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Well a 10 micron filter has holes smaller than 10 microns, so the oil would flow slower, granted smaller holes SHOULD mean more holes, leaving flow rate unaffected, but I dunno....

Leave it as bigger is better, lol
    LS6 intake, Pacesetters, TSP rumbler !EGR, !AIR, 295/35 BFG KDW II's, UMI Adj LCAs. Tick Master Cylinder, LS7 Clutch and flywheel, Pro 5.0, Lous short stick, Frost Tune.

White
    72 HQ Holden

A 10micron filter should theoretically have holes enough to trap 10micron particles and larger, the point i was tryin to make was that the synthetic filter media allows more surface area while keeping the outside of the filter to a 'stock like size'. I have had in depth conversations with my lecturer at tafe when i did my adult apprenticeship about the benefits of lower micron rating filters and just thought i would pass on what i had learnt- that is all. Moroso claim in their catalogue that their 20micron rated filters are all you need as anything smaller than 20microns is insignificant- but there is evidence to suggest otherwise, we are talking engine longevity here not HP gains.

black
    firebird formula 99

so what would the longer filter number be on the k&n?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdformula99 View Post
    so what would the longer filter number be on the k&n?
    Here's something else to keep in mind;
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ght=oil+filter

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ill go check under my car tomorrow morning

Black
    2004 GTO A4

I ran the longer filter in my 2001 SS. No issues to report. I also run a longer filter in my GTO. No issues to report, but it is very close to the skid plate (maybe 3/8 of an inch). Kind of made me worry the first time I tried it, but put 40K miles on her and never had a filter issue.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

HP-2006 is the K&N number

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Ive run the acdelco pf61 before they switched to the Ecore (pf61e) and no longer run them. Never had any issues though...there are other things that definitly hang lower, headers to be 1 of them.

Can only see it helping by running larger filter media! just make sure you are getting a quality filter!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

^^^ whats the "ecore" and why dont you use them anymore because of it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

E-core is a type of filter that is sold under a variety of names, including AC Delco. The quality is not up to par with the older style AC Delcos and many others.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    ^^^ whats the "ecore" and why dont you use them anymore because of it
    They basically changed the entire design of the AC Delco filter and now it resembles more of the shitty orange Fram. I cant remember all of it but I believe the end cap was changed to a cardboard type and the filter media was changed.

here is a very good thread to read through if you care about your filter/car:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151907

Red
    98 Trans Am

so the only thing you guys are doing is taking a trucks oil filter and putting it on your cars engine. Your cars engine really doent need all that much filtering. proper oil change intervals will keep your cars engine oil clean. The other issue with putting on a bigger filter is oil pressue will drop. And also, clearance issues. Stock ride height might be fine, but on dropped cars, one random item on the road in the right spot has the possibility of denting or even tearing open the filter, OR even worse catching the filter and pushing it up into the block causing god knows what. a remote filter would be a better option.

Thread Information