Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

Question Oil coated knock sensor!!!

I kept getting an engine check light, so I had it checked, it was code P0332 which is the rear knock sensor on my 99 Vette (LS1) So I did some research and found that they tend to get corroded. I gathered everything I needed to change the knock sensor. Last night I finally had time to work on it and when I got everything out of the way so I could access the knock sensors, I removed the knock sensor wire, which was discolored and covered in oil, and I found that where the rear knock sensor is seated was full of oil. It wasn't like a cup of oil, but it was enough to soak a rag and raise some concerns. I figure this is my be why I started getting the check light. Does anyone have any knowledge of why oil might be pooling up around my knock sensor? Does it have something to do with the PCV valve? PLEASE HELP!! I want to drive my car NOT look at it in various pieces in the garage!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I kept getting an engine check light, so I had it checked, it was code P0332 which is the rear knock sensor on my 99 Vette (LS1) So I did some research and found that they tend to get corroded. I gathered everything I needed to change the knock sensor. Last night I finally had time to work on it and when I got everything out of the way so I could access the knock sensors, I removed the knock sensor wire, which was discolored and covered in oil, and I found that where the rear knock sensor is seated was full of oil. It wasn't like a cup of oil, but it was enough to soak a rag and raise some concerns. I figure this is my be why I started getting the check light. Does anyone have any knowledge of why oil might be pooling up around my knock sensor? Does it have something to do with the PCV valve? PLEASE HELP!! I want to drive my car NOT look at it in various pieces in the garage!

There maybe some one can read it now and help out.. The blue you chose was hard to see with black background option..

Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

Yeah, now that I look at it, I can see your point, Thanks!

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

I would say to check your pcv, hoses. look for cracks in that area behind the intake. thats the only way i can see oil getting up their. as far as the knock sensor it deffinatly failed because of the oil. these things are very sensitve. if you look into it gm actually put out a tsb on building a liitle dam around the sensor with silicone to prevent water from getting into the cavity. hope this helps man.

Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    I would say to check your pcv, hoses. look for cracks in that area behind the intake. thats the only way i can see oil getting up their. as far as the knock sensor it deffinatly failed because of the oil. these things are very sensitve. if you look into it gm actually put out a tsb on building a liitle dam around the sensor with silicone to prevent water from getting into the cavity. hope this helps man.
    Yeah I was looking at those hoses a little today, I will have to get more i depth with it I think. I am definitely going to build that silicone dam...does anyone know where I can find the info for doing that?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Maybe that valley cover is leaking. It would be a good time to upgrade to the LS6 valley cover/PCV system! LS1 to LS6 PCV Conversion
    Or maybe that oil pressure sender is leaking back there into the knock sensor hole. But it usually leak down the back of the block not forward...

Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Maybe that valley cover is leaking. It would be a good time to upgrade to the LS6 valley cover/PCV system! LS1 to LS6 PCV Conversion
    Or maybe that oil pressure sender is leaking back there into the knock sensor hole. But it usually leak down the back of the block not forward...
    I have to agree with doing the LS6 valley cover upgrade, I ordered that yesterday. Might as well since I have it torn apart already. I think I will be checking the Oil pressure sender too, Thanks.

Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

Just wanted to let everyone know what the results are, so if anyone else has this issue they might know what to expect.

I dug into the motor and was surprised by the oil coated knock sensor and couldn't figure out how in the world oil got in there. I removed the valley cover and found that the rubber grommet that is supposed to be pressed into the valley cover had come out, and worse yet it was so dry rotted that I couldn't get it back in. I ended up doing the LS6 valley cover MOD. It took forever to get all the parts I needed, but I got them and over this past weekend I reassembled everything and took it out for a spin. Everything looks good now, and no more Check Engine light...YIPPIE!!!! I also changed the oil pressure sender while I was in there...I now have accurate oil press readings.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some suggestions.

Where is the knock sensor located? ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by sbaydoun28 View Post
    Where is the knock sensor located? ?
    1st - you do know this is a 3 yr old thread right?

2nd - The knock sensors are located under the intake manifold. You will have to remove it in order to have access to them. Not hard to do, takes about an hour for beginners.

Thanks

Thread Information