Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 76 of 76

oil catch can

This is a discussion on oil catch can within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 So do you have any more of the brackets? Ill buy one now, you have em.. ...

  1. #61
    Sofa King we Todd did
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    164

    Black
    1990 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    So do you have any more of the brackets? Ill buy one now, you have em..
    I've got 2 more brackets for the small can.

    A larger version will be made, but there needs to be demand to use machine time to make them. It's easier for me to make several of the same part, rather than set the machine and tools up again just to make one.

    Lethal designed them, but need the mounting location to be moved a little, installed pics will be up to him

  2. #62
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    I dont mind taking some pics when I get mine installed. I want to note that I payed $50 for mine just like anyone else that wants one and have nothing to do with the sales aspect of it.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    When you install your catch can be sure to mount it with enough clearance under it that you can drain the oil out of it. I failed to allow for such clearance when I installed mine.
    Hope this helps.

  4. #64
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    When you get it installed take some pics, id appreciate that. Im just curious cus of how you said the mounting is a little off.

  5. #65
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    When you get it installed take some pics, id appreciate that. Im just curious cus of how you said the mounting is a little off.
    I got the first bracket made-the prototype- and one minor thing had to be changed. The tab on the back of the bracket-had to be made a little longer.

    I will definately take some picture for ya as soon as I get it mounted.

  6. #66
    The Demon Demon_Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    648

    Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

    that would be cool, I to am interested in the catch can, I know my intake manifold looks pretty damn dirty...I would like to get one down the road.

  7. #67
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    that would be cool, I to am interested in the catch can, I know my intake manifold looks pretty damn dirty...I would like to get one down the road.
    Yeah this is prolly the cheapest way to get one. The HUSKY filters can be bought at Home Depot for around $10. Then all you need is a bracket and some rubber hose and a couple clamps. I like the fact that they are see through so you know when its gonna need drained.

  8. #68
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Last time I took my MAF off to clean it I couldnt believe how much oil was in my throttle body. That when I started to look into a catch can.

  9. #69
    The Demon Demon_Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    648

    Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

    yea I took my throttle body off and cleaned it a while back and noticed a little bit of a better throttle response after I got a nice layer of gunk and oil off...AIR is gehy, gehy as aids.

  10. #70
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Useful Pics for Newbies!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  11. #71
    TerribleTed TerribleTed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California-Sacramento-Roseville
    Posts
    145

    Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

    Hardware store-Plumbin department-Black PVC tube and end caps,,,a few drill holes,,,a coupld of brass connectors for the hoses,,,and walah,,,home made,,not sexy oil catch can.

    10 bucks at the most,,

  12. #72
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Hey guys,
    I'm definitely a newb on all this but have been trying to research it since I have the same issues it sounds like. Awesome oil pressure, not leaking a bit of oil, great temps, almost 100k on my 98 Trans Am with LS1 but I go through a quart of oil a month just driving to work and back. Only smokes when I romp it.....

    So my question is this. When I run the catch can design.....instead of filling that thing up with oil each month, why can't I just run a elbow out the bottom of the catch can and run that directly back into the oil filler neck or somewhere similar to redirect the oil back into the car?

    Seems lame, but until I can get the LS6 conversion this may be what I have to do. Just have to get the ol girl to pass California emissions without clogging up my sensors.

    Mike

  13. #73
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150WS6 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm definitely a newb on all this but have been trying to research it since I have the same issues it sounds like. Awesome oil pressure, not leaking a bit of oil, great temps, almost 100k on my 98 Trans Am with LS1 but I go through a quart of oil a month just driving to work and back. Only smokes when I romp it.....

    So my question is this. When I run the catch can design.....instead of filling that thing up with oil each month, why can't I just run a elbow out the bottom of the catch can and run that directly back into the oil filler neck or somewhere similar to redirect the oil back into the car?

    Seems lame, but until I can get the LS6 conversion this may be what I have to do. Just have to get the ol girl to pass California emissions without clogging up my sensors.

    Mike
    I don't believe the pcv valve would work properly then.

  14. #74
    Senior Member Ramairgod84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    peoria, az
    Posts
    1,017

    Black
    2001 WS6

    Hey i just ordered mine, but i have a question on mounting. I know it mounts to the pass. head, but what bolt do you use? I've got 3 holes on the head, but no bolts. Do you have to buy a bolt? if so, whats the size?

  15. #75
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Hey i just ordered mine, but i have a question on mounting. I know it mounts to the pass. head, but what bolt do you use? I've got 3 holes on the head, but no bolts. Do you have to buy a bolt? if so, whats the size?
    I believe the bolt is a m10x1.5... I picked one up at my local hardware store. If i remember correctly the threads aren't too deep in the head so it has to be a fairly short bolt. hope that helps.

  16. #76
    Senior Member Ramairgod84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    peoria, az
    Posts
    1,017

    Black
    2001 WS6

    it does. i should be getting it in the mail today, ill go to the hardware store tonight and pick one up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. catch can
    By kenro23 in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 08:20 AM
  2. C6 Corvette Catch Can - Catch Me If You Can
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 03:00 AM
  3. Question: Oil Catch can
    By The Silver Goat in forum GTO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 04:22 AM
  4. PCV oil catch can?
    By SilverSteen25 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 06:30 AM
  5. WTB Oil catch can
    By Stricken1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •