Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

oil catch can

This is a discussion on oil catch can within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 So do you have any more of the brackets? Ill buy one now, you have em.. ...

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    So do you have any more of the brackets? Ill buy one now, you have em..
    I've got 2 more brackets for the small can.

A larger version will be made, but there needs to be demand to use machine time to make them. It's easier for me to make several of the same part, rather than set the machine and tools up again just to make one.

Lethal designed them, but need the mounting location to be moved a little, installed pics will be up to him

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I dont mind taking some pics when I get mine installed. I want to note that I payed $50 for mine just like anyone else that wants one and have nothing to do with the sales aspect of it.

White
    2001 Z28

When you install your catch can be sure to mount it with enough clearance under it that you can drain the oil out of it. I failed to allow for such clearance when I installed mine.
    Hope this helps.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

When you get it installed take some pics, id appreciate that. Im just curious cus of how you said the mounting is a little off.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    When you get it installed take some pics, id appreciate that. Im just curious cus of how you said the mounting is a little off.
    I got the first bracket made-the prototype- and one minor thing had to be changed. The tab on the back of the bracket-had to be made a little longer.

I will definately take some picture for ya as soon as I get it mounted.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

that would be cool, I to am interested in the catch can, I know my intake manifold looks pretty damn dirty...I would like to get one down the road.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    that would be cool, I to am interested in the catch can, I know my intake manifold looks pretty damn dirty...I would like to get one down the road.
    Yeah this is prolly the cheapest way to get one. The HUSKY filters can be bought at Home Depot for around $10. Then all you need is a bracket and some rubber hose and a couple clamps. I like the fact that they are see through so you know when its gonna need drained.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Last time I took my MAF off to clean it I couldnt believe how much oil was in my throttle body. That when I started to look into a catch can.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

yea I took my throttle body off and cleaned it a while back and noticed a little bit of a better throttle response after I got a nice layer of gunk and oil off...AIR is gehy, gehy as aids.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Useful Pics for Newbies!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Hardware store-Plumbin department-Black PVC tube and end caps,,,a few drill holes,,,a coupld of brass connectors for the hoses,,,and walah,,,home made,,not sexy oil catch can.

10 bucks at the most,,

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Hey guys,
    I'm definitely a newb on all this but have been trying to research it since I have the same issues it sounds like. Awesome oil pressure, not leaking a bit of oil, great temps, almost 100k on my 98 Trans Am with LS1 but I go through a quart of oil a month just driving to work and back. Only smokes when I romp it.....

So my question is this. When I run the catch can design.....instead of filling that thing up with oil each month, why can't I just run a elbow out the bottom of the catch can and run that directly back into the oil filler neck or somewhere similar to redirect the oil back into the car?

Seems lame, but until I can get the LS6 conversion this may be what I have to do. Just have to get the ol girl to pass California emissions without clogging up my sensors.

Mike

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 5150WS6 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm definitely a newb on all this but have been trying to research it since I have the same issues it sounds like. Awesome oil pressure, not leaking a bit of oil, great temps, almost 100k on my 98 Trans Am with LS1 but I go through a quart of oil a month just driving to work and back. Only smokes when I romp it.....

So my question is this. When I run the catch can design.....instead of filling that thing up with oil each month, why can't I just run a elbow out the bottom of the catch can and run that directly back into the oil filler neck or somewhere similar to redirect the oil back into the car?

Seems lame, but until I can get the LS6 conversion this may be what I have to do. Just have to get the ol girl to pass California emissions without clogging up my sensors.

Mike
    I don't believe the pcv valve would work properly then.

Black
    2001 WS6

Hey i just ordered mine, but i have a question on mounting. I know it mounts to the pass. head, but what bolt do you use? I've got 3 holes on the head, but no bolts. Do you have to buy a bolt? if so, whats the size?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Hey i just ordered mine, but i have a question on mounting. I know it mounts to the pass. head, but what bolt do you use? I've got 3 holes on the head, but no bolts. Do you have to buy a bolt? if so, whats the size?
    I believe the bolt is a m10x1.5... I picked one up at my local hardware store. If i remember correctly the threads aren't too deep in the head so it has to be a fairly short bolt. hope that helps.

Black
    2001 WS6

it does. i should be getting it in the mail today, ill go to the hardware store tonight and pick one up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Thread Information