Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

oil catch can

This is a discussion on oil catch can within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; In one thread the discussion turned to using steel wool but man I would hate to have that stuff work ...

In one thread the discussion turned to using steel wool but man I would hate to have that stuff work its way into the engine. If I were to think about altering one of these canisters I would probably spend some time in a hardware store to see if there was some coarse stainless pads. But still the slightest risk of that stuff getting out would worry me.

Just so you know, there are a load of threads here and other forums on this topic. You will run across some better ideas than I can give.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

There is a certain brand of steel wool Liberon, that is considered the best in the world, ironically it comes completely free of oil, it's for professional wood finishing and is made from long continuous threads, I've actually used it to remove rust from chrome on my Universal Centurion, for that it worked fantastic, just use a heavy soap and water combo with high suds and their quadruple zero steel wool and you'll have chrome looking like new in no time.

If I were going to use steel wool as a filter medium it would be my only choice.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

so should i replace he stone like filter in my husky catch can?

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    so should i replace he stone like filter in my husky catch can?
    I wouldn't, stone should be fine, I was just talkin' if you were goin to home rig something up and you had a can with nuthin in it, it would then be a good idea to add something.
    Personally, I think if you could rig stone you might be better off, the only thing I don't know is if there is an amount of pressure that should be returned, if there is then I would wonder about using stone, I don't think the pressure is high, and I don't think there is even a required pressure, if there isn't, it's fine.

Pewter
    02 Z28

in what section of the store at Home Depot do I find the Husky or Campbell "catch can"? I looked allover the store and I couldnt find one
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

look around the air compressors or the compressor supplies.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'm not a fan of the ebay cans. I have no idea what those tubes on the side going from top to bottom are for. I just bought one with an f body bracket from catchcans.com. More exspensive yes but totally happy with it. Keeps the intake bone dry.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    The tube going from the valve cover to the throttle body, is that for vacuum or can that introduce oily air into the intake also?

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i am not sure.

Pewter
    02 Z28

Thumbs up

look around the air compressors or the compressor supplies.
    thank you sir

black
    1993 Firehawk

Question

Just picked up my Husky catch can....now the fun of installing it.
    Still need a mounting bracket and fittings and hoses.
    My intake looked like an oil pan full of oil when I peeked thru the Throttle body!!! WTF!?! Hopefully I can repair the damage. I'm worried about the valves and piston and my clogged CATs.
    Anyone have some insite???

Thanks in advance.

Blackhawk

1999 TransAm WS6
    1993 Firehawk
    2000 Camaro
    1974 Camaro TypeLT/Z28 (For Sale!)
    1998 TransAm Vert.
    Last edited by blackhawk1993; 02-14-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Signature not posting.?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Run a whole can of Seafoam thru the engine. If you want, remove all the spark plugs and pour the Seafoam directly into the cylinders. Let sit overnite. Turn the engine over a few times to remove (after disconnecting coil packs) then reinstall plugs. Fire up engine and make a few wide open throttle runs. Should clean everything off pretty good.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I have a billit aluminum bracket that connects to the pass side head underway for the husky catch cans. It should be done any day. I will take pics when its done-depending on how it goes I might get a bunch made and offer them.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i know i need a bracket. is it made for the husky piece from home depot? post pics when you can (of brackert and of it installed). i might be interested.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

i know i need a bracket. is it made for the husky piece from home depot? post pics when you can (of brackert and of it installed). i might be interested.

Yes I designed the bracket for the Husky filters from Home Depot. I will post pics as soon as one is finished. The machinist that is doing it said it shouldnt be long.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

subscribed! This is in my cars future.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Guys I am trying to see who might want one of the billit aluminum HUSKY/Campbell Housfield catch can brackets to mount the catch can to the passenger side head. I found a guy who can make them for $45. The price is higher than I anticipated but the machine used is very exspensive and takes time to set up. I was told the more I order the lower the price so....I was hoping I could find out who might be interested in hope of a lower price. It also gives the machinist more insentive to make several rather than one. The bracket is made of 5/8" aluminum and the front of the bracket can be removed via 2 allen bolts-to easily remove the catch can while the main body of the bracket remains bolted to the pass. side head. This allows you to remove the catch can to drain it. The Husky/CH catch cans are see through so you know when its time to drain them and you know they are working. Also-I am not making anything-I just want one for my car.Here are the cad drawings-

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

i would have to see one made and installed.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

i would have to see one made and installed.
    Thats understandable and thats exactly what I told the machinist-so he is making a prototype that should be done by the end of next week. Then I can get it on my car and take a few pics. If anyone does want one after I take pics etc. they will be dealing directly with Forced_Firebird (the machinist who is making the bracket) not me. I was simply trying to make this project more worthwhile on his end and maybe help out a few people who needed a bracket to mount their Husky catch can. I also thought it would be pretty cool to have somthing I designed come to life. Thanks for your reply.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

can you explan more as to how it mounts and holds the can and also how it comes apart for removal?

Red
    2001 SS (M6) #4581

Heres a couple really nice ones. Bracket may have to be modified a little for your application but in most cases, probly very little if any.

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Thread Information