Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Arrow OBX y-pipe fitment issue?

So I got my OBX headers in the mail and I wanted to make sure everything fit together prior to tearing into the car and running into problems. Most of the pipes on the Y are not fitting together. One search indicated that they are a butt fit and not slip fit? However, one of them slips into the y pipe with no problem. The box was dinged up pretty bad and most the exhaust clams are bent. I don't know if the pipes got bent in the shipping process or if they are not meant to slip into each other. Will a 3" exahust pipe expander solve this problem if it is suppose to be a slip fit or if I want to convert it to the slip fit? Thanks!
    Last edited by JehalinTA; 08-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do they come with any instructions? Does the clamp style indicate whether it is slip or butt joint? Problem with turning a butt joint into a slip joint with an expander is that it is going to shorten the pipe run.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Well a closer look at the y pipe answers my question.. Although I bought the kit brand new, someone already tried to expand the wrong end of the pipes because there are scratches on the inside of 2 of the pipes and they are the only 2 pipes not fitting. I am contacting the seller and chewing him out for selling me a returned set of headers. If he does not do anything about it, is there any way to shrink the flared end or would I have to expand the other side? THanks

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

It is definately the slip kind and has been modified by a previous individual. I am extremely pissed at this ebay seller. The headers even show sign of previous installation and use!!! The drivers side has oil and debris on the inside and there are rings around the hole from where a bolt was put in. I paid full price and he was a top rated seller...

red
    99 camaro

now thats bullshit there folks!!!! Makes you wanna kick his ass dosent it.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Definately is!!! I don't want to go through the hassle of installing these headers only to find out that there is something defective about them. There was a reason they were installed and removed...

red
    99 camaro

Maybe the guy that had them before that f-ed em up didnt know how to hook up the ypipe and just started flaring shit without reading the directions first??? I have been guilty of that before but Id atleast check before modifying... Sucks none the less, but if ya get money back I got hooker painted lt's on ebay for 240 shipped with o2 extensions and hardware. They went in easier than the stock manis came out with the car on jack stands in the driveway. Verry little k-member grinding involved with them and didnt have to remove the starter either. I then got the tsp oryp and had some trouble installing it but it did work and worked great. No hitting the floorpan at all. Hope all goes well. BTW I did poly motor mounts ( black ones ) at the same time and its been a verry good investment for me.
    Last edited by JRENIGAR; 08-07-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Thanks for the input... that makes sense... He probably ran them as open headers after the install to hear it and did the y pipe afterwards and jacked it up (which explains the oil and debris in the headers)...I emailed the seller and I am hoping that he will replace them with a new set without charging me anytype of shipping charges. The business should have known better because the box was not sealed and was in poor shape.. makes it hard to believe that they did not know.

Definately not what I expected after paying $530.00

Has anyone encountered problems like this on ebay before?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28

What was the name of the ebay seller? Yes this is my first post!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Thanks for the input... that makes sense... He probably ran them as open headers after the install to hear it and did the y pipe afterwards and jacked it up (which explains the oil and debris in the headers)...I emailed the seller and I am hoping that he will replace them with a new set without charging me anytype of shipping charges. The business should have known better because the box was not sealed and was in poor shape.. makes it hard to believe that they did not know.

Definately not what I expected after paying $530.00

Has anyone encountered problems like this on ebay before?
    If he said they were new on ebay you can report him to ebay and they will take care of everything, if you can't settle it by talking to the seller. Trust me ebay will make the seller give you your money back. Something similar happened to me, this guy sold me this exhaust claiming it was slightly used and usable but I got it and it was torn apart. Needless to say I ended up getting my money back by reporting him to ebay/paypal.

Thread Information