Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Ripper415 wait so the obx headers have problems with the collector being to close to the floorboard ...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    wait so the obx headers have problems with the collector being to close to the floorboard too? that's the major problem with the xs's they sell over on ls1tech. their drivers side collector is angled up so high that it's literally impossible to get the y pipe on w/o cutting and re-welding either the header, y pipe or both. i was considering getting a set of obxs to avoid this problem until i read about this....

ps. i'm not talking about the collector being close to the floor so that when you drive it may bang (i'd just use the heater hose mod) i'm talking about it being literally so close that you cant make a connection with the y pipe in its stock setup (like the xs).
    This was certainly not a problem with my set, they slid in easier than pulling the stock manifolds and the donut gasket allows you to get the perfect allignment for the Y pipe. These stainless OBX are definitely worth the money.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    You are totally welcome, I was hoping this thread would do just that. I had such a problem with getting all the right parts. Every garage I pull into for service I get lots of compliments on the headers.

I can't wait to see your vid(s), I've not heard OBX with the Loudmouth but I'm sure it's gonna be nasty!

as soon as i take care of the banging problem and the minor exhaust leak, i will be posting vids of it. it already sounds sick!!! and surprisingly at idle its pretty tame...but when that throttle opens up, hold on to your butts....

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

IM GETTING PISSY WITH THIS. THE INSTALL WENT GREAT, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. BUT NOW IM HAVING CLEARANCE ISSUES WITH MY CATBACK. GRRRRRR. AND ALL THE BAND CLAMPS LEAK...EVERY SINGLE ONE. IVE DECIDED TO JUST SAY F' IT AND WELD EVERY SINGLE PIPE. AND APPARENTLY YOU NOT ONLY NEED O2 SIMS, BUT YOU NEED O2 EXTENSIONS AS WELL FOR THE FRONT 2 SENSORS.

DEAR OBX,
    THANKS FOR PUTTING TOGETHER SUCH A COMPLETE KIT. I REALLY LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU INCLUDED THE 2 3" DOUGHNUT GASKETS NECESSARY TO CONNECT THE RESONATORS TO THE Y PIPE. ALSO, THANKS FOR THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF BOLTS INCLUDED IN THE KIT. I ACTUALLY HAD SO MANY LEFT OVER, THAT I SUPPLIED MY WHOLE SHOP WITH A MONTHS WORTH OF BOLTS. ALSO OBX, I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED WITH KIT. SUCH CARE AND DETAIL WENT INTO THE INSTALL DIRECTIONS. AND IT EVEN INCLUDED A PARTS LIST, AND A LIST OF PARTS AND TOOLS YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE. ALSO, THE LINK TO YOUR SMOOTHLY RUNNING WEBSITE WHERE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL FAQ SECTION, OF POSSIBLE ISSUES WITH THIS KIT. THANKS SO MUCH OBX!
    -ANDY

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

OK...now that I got that off my chest, I can explain myself. First I'm sorry the post is all in caps, I'm at work so I am always in caps. Secondly, excuse my sarcasm.

All in all the install was a pain, but so far it has been worth it. The performance gain was awesome, and the noise level is enough to wake your deaf grandma from her mid-day slumber. There are a few bugs to be worked out still, but it will come in time. Time meaning whenever it's warm without rain!!!!

Bugs to work out when running these headers, and then when running SLP LM:

1: You need 2 3" doughnut gaskets, someone posted a part number earlier in this thread and it works perfectly.

2: You need new manifold gaskets. I recommend going to your local GM dealer, and purchasing the metal stock manifold gaskets. Cheap and reliable!

3: You need 12 header bolts, and a few exhaust bolts for the ORY and resonator.

4: You need 2 O2 simulators, I bought mine from WS6store.com for $90

5: You need 2 O2 sensor extensions for the front 2 sensors.

6: The Ypipe bangs on the removable cross member right before the I-pipe. Easy fix, just take a pair of channel locks and bend the crap out of it.

7: You need a bump stop, mufflex makes a good one. I installed mine right behind the drivers side rear O2 sensor on the Ypipe. There is a pre-existing bolt you can mount it to. This prevents the pipe from hitting the floorboard under hard accel.

8: All of the band clamps leak. Hell, some even leak backwards. It is just a poor seal. I am having everything welded up to solve this issue. Because trust me, you cant tighten those bolts up enough, i tried!

9: The collector on the passanger side has slight clearance issues. just cut some of the floor board skid plate out and it should be good to go.

(above problems occur no matter what catback you are using)

Now with the LM exhaust, it is hitting in 2 different spots.

1: Sometimes, the bullet muffler hits against the drive shaft. I am clueless on what to do about this problem, since most of the exhaust is welded up.

2: Pipe rattles on top of suspension bars, where it snakes over the axle. My fix, in which i havent done yet, is to get some heater hose and mount it up like a bumper. I know its probably not permanant but that rattle is just annoying.
    Last edited by konigandy6; 10-17-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: forgot something

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Hows the clearance accessibility to the oil drain plug? I know with FLP headers (OBX headers use FLPs design) you couldn't get it out.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Hows the clearance accessibility to the oil drain plug? I know with FLP headers (OBX headers use FLPs design) you couldn't get it out.

I will let you know when I do my next oil change.... I know some people were having trouble with the oil filter clearance, but I have no issues with that.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Hate to hear all the install problems, Andy. I definitely feel your frustration though, I was pissed off with the lack of donut gaskets and how incomplete the kit is. I remember having the kit welded up since the band clamps are a joke. Get everything welded up nice and tight and spray the welds with engine enamel to weatherproof them.

That is a great list by the way! The only thing I would do different is save $ on the O2 sims and plug the holes. You will throw a code but you won't hurt anything and can have it tuned out anyway.

If you have the time, patience, and $ I recommend Prothane mounts, change sparkplugs (NGK TR55's are very affordable) and performance wires since you are already in there.

No problems with drain plug here, but getting to my oil filter is about impossible! I am now using the K&N high capacity filter (PN: 2006) since it is longer and you can get a wrench on it.

Keep us posted!

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...uv/results.asp
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...ugs/vpower.asp
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 10-17-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

ws6 with obx and lm

Only things i was missing were the bolts and nuts for the res. But my problem was my steering shaft hit the third header pipe...i had to more the shaft over and grind both ends of the bolt that connects it to the shaft of the pump...that sucked...I am not sure of clearance with oil filter...as far as I know its fine but my filter gushes oil so I have an issue with that anyways...Overall they are wonderful!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I have no issues with the oil filter clearance. Did an LOF and no problems came up at all. The steering shaft is close but it clears and doesn't rub. The only thing that wont clear is one of the spark plug wire boots, I let it melt away a bit and now its not an issue! lol.

GNICTRY, your kit came with the proper gaskets? The donut gasket too? Odd.

Did you reuse the stock steal manifold gasket or did you use the paper ones from the kit?

red
    1999 trans am convert

I ordered the set with emissions hook up (98-99) and they came with donuts.I reused origanal flange gaskets(car had less than 40,000mi on it) and they are fine.You need nuts and bolts,yes, but that comes as no suprise if you did any research on these threads.Everyone here has been extremely helpful and all the info you need is at your fingertips!Did it in my garage on jack stands.Had to take it to muffler shop to have cat back pipe opened up a tad to match y pipe and that went ok.No fitment issues except it rattles against crossbrace.Mines a 'vert so the crossbrace is not an x but a straight piece across the car and I got some washers and shimed it down.Works A-OK.
    Now for the best part-the sound is incredable! I have it hooked to a Hooker catback and its not so loud driving normally that you couldn't be next to the Law.Yet,when I had it at the strip a couple months ago,a guy asked what exhaust I had because he noticed the sound when I ran!
    I think it's a shame that OBX doesn't have anyone to give help if you have problems because I feel they are a very high quality product,well made and a bargain at $500. for headers and Y pipe!The swivel joints at the resenators make them easier to install (IMO) and they soung GREAT!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I have no issues with the oil filter clearance. Did an LOF and no problems came up at all. The steering shaft is close but it clears and doesn't rub. The only thing that wont clear is one of the spark plug wire boots, I let it melt away a bit and now its not an issue! lol.

Did you reuse the stock steal manifold gasket or did you use the paper ones from the kit?

Use the stock steel steel gasket, throw away the paper ones.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Took some pics at the time,thought I'd show them.[IMG][/IMG]
    Good clearance on steering.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Good clearance on spark plugs.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Use the stock steel steel gasket, throw away the paper ones.

I've had them installed for months now....the paper gaskets are a joke. I spent the extra $20 and got a new set of OEM manifold gaskets at the dealership. Definitely recommended!!!!

edbird, I agree, the sound is amazing. Also I had an issue with them banging on the stock stamped steel tunnel brace. So I bought the spohn performance one and haven't had any issues since. I'm not sure if the vert is similar in that department....

red
    1999 trans am convert

konigandy6,I should of bought new GM gaskets but since I had a weeks vacation,I thought I could get them if needed after I see the old ones.

I think the difference in brace is weather it's a M6 or an A4.I think the A4's have the X brace.Does the Spohn stick down much more? Any pics?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

my a4 tunnel brace looks just like the m6 ones that i've worked on. pretty sure it's the tranny crossmember that is different.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Did a quick search and it appears the difference is in 'verts only.
    hallass,is yours a vert?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

nope, t tops

red
    1999 trans am convert

Ok that must be it.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Glad this thread has helped so much! I am still loving my OBX's. Yeah, I wish there was somebody to call during the install for help. I guess as long as those headers are available this thread will have to serve that purpose. We got eachothers back like that.

Clean install there, ebird!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post

Mine came with donuts, manifolds but not egr or the bolts for the resonators..Mine werent paper either...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information