Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i just put on my headers last week it took more time to take off the exhaust manifold than to ...

White
    2000 Camaro SS

obx headers

i just put on my headers last week it took more time to take off the exhaust manifold than to put them on. i heard a lot of people say they had problems with the passenger side, with a little finesse i had no problem. i strongly recomend these headers they look and sound great with the loudmouth exhaust.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyss View Post
    i just put on my headers last week it took more time to take off the exhaust manifold than to put them on. i heard a lot of people say they had problems with the passenger side, with a little finesse i had no problem. i strongly recomend these headers they look and sound great with the loudmouth exhaust.
    same thing i said about mine. they slid right in easier than the stock manifolds came out. just had to find the right angle and they went in no problem.

as for the guy asking about track times, i've gained over .2 in the 1/8th once is was tuned and i got traction. i'm running 7.96 in the 1/8th with these headers, 3400 fuddle, tranny cooler, 160 thermo, mti lid, sportline springs in the front, a tune from Quik (George)and nitto dr's. this is all with full weight, spare tire in the back and everything.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Thumbs up

I just put these on my 02 T/A. Let me tell you they are extremely loud. I have the GMMG exhaust also. They are LOUD. Thinking i might get a different set of cats to tone them down a bit. I just dont want the noise tickets.
    As far as installation, i thought the passenger side would be harder but i was wrong. Other than that very easy installation. Only thing i had to do during install was swap position of the O2 sensor connectors.

I recommend them but just warning you they will be loud with deep tone that sounds very racey.

White
    2000 Camaro SS

yea they sound real nice i did buy 12'' extensions and had only one problem a couple hours later my car threw the check light at me i know its from the 02s any suggestions?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

mine threw an o2 code about 2-3 weeks later, i reset it and it hasn't come on since. i guess it's common when installing headers since the o2's are in a different location afterwards. i've heard of it from just about every brand of headers, but it's not supposed to be anything to worry about unless it keeps coming back on.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

These headers seem to be pretty nice but how would you compare them with ceramic coated pacesetters.

Thanks

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMoss View Post
    These headers seem to be pretty nice but how would you compare them with ceramic coated pacesetters.

Thanks
    Well, any stainless steel exhaust is going to be longer lasting than mild steel with or without ceramic coating (which wears away eventually). You are always going to do better with stainless because it will never rust. I am almost certain that for the price they are listed for, these are discontinued headers and once they are out, they are OUT!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyss View Post
    yea they sound real nice i did buy 12'' extensions and had only one problem a couple hours later my car threw the check light at me i know its from the 02s any suggestions?
    Yeah, the O2s behind the "cats" are smelling some funky air so they will throw a code. Just get them tuned out. Those sensors are there to let you know when your cat needs to be replaced. Since this is an ORY setup, you won't need them anyway. Instead of running O2's I plugged the holes.
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 08-01-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Well, any stainless steel exhaust is going to be longer lasting than mild steel with or without ceramic coating (which wears away eventually). You are always going to do better with stainless because it will never rust. I am almost certain that for the price they are listed for, these are discontinued headers and once they are out, they are OUT!

Yea i know about the stainless and mild steel thing but I mean in power gains would they be about the same.

Thanks for the info.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Thanks
    Sorry Mike, I didn't realize you were asking about power difference between Pacesetters vs OBX. I've not had my car on the dyno so I can't answer that question but I imagine the gain difference is negligable as LT's as a rule make about the same power from brand to brand.
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 07-09-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Sorry Mike, I didn't realize you were asking about power difference between Pacesetters vs OBX. I've not had my car on the dyno so I can't answer that question but I imagine the gain difference is negligable as LT's as a rule make about the same power from brand to brand.
    Thanks for the info I was kind of leaning towards the OBX because they are stainless but wasnt sure if they would give the same power gains.
    So have you been satisfied with your purchase?

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the info I was kind of leaning towards the OBX because they are stainless but wasnt sure if they would give the same power gains.
    So have you been satisfied with your purchase?
    After all is said and done, yes. I am happy every time I get to drive just for the sound alone. The OBX kit is lacking nuts and bolts to join the resonators to the collectors as well as the 3" donut gaskets. Save yourself a lot of hassle and round up these little things before you go for the install if you decide to go with OBX. Stainless for that price is too good to pass up!

Good luck

puiter
    1999 trans am

let me know i can get this 480 shipped
    Thanks

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

so has anyone had an issue with the spark plug boots touching the header pipe on the drivers side? also, has anyone had an issue with the collector on the passenger side touching the floor board? i am in the middle of an install right now and those are the two issues thus far.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    so has anyone had an issue with the spark plug boots touching the header pipe on the drivers side? also, has anyone had an issue with the collector on the passenger side touching the floor board? i am in the middle of an install right now and those are the two issues thus far.
    just one boot touches on mine. you're going to have that with any headers though. my collector is very close to the floorboard on the passenger side, but it doesn't touch though.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I have one spark plug boot touching the header on the driver side, there is nothing you can do about it. The boot will melt where it touches the header and that will be the extent of it.

With the collector issue, I would suggest poly motor mounts. My collector was almost touching the floorboard but once I drove the car it would vibrate and pound the sh*t out of the floor. I got the Mufflex Bump Stop and it helped a bit but once I got the Prothane motor mounts in there, it stopped all of the vibration nonsense and relieved fitment issues. Turned out that my driver side mount was all but destroyed.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

These look nice, but I have noticed that they are not "tuned length" headers (ie Kooks, QTP, SLP designs to name a few). That being said, and without getting into the dynamics of exhaust pulse, etc., they will under perform vs equal length primary header (tuned) systems. I would image that for most people, this is not a big issue anyway, and for the price they are a good value for what they provide. Just my .02.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Just Wanted To Thank Anyone Who Has Contributed To This Thread. Not Only Did It Help Me Out A Ton, But I Got All The Right Parts. I Even Got Those Doughnut Gaskets For A Whopping $11 A Piece. Hopefully I Will Have A Video Clip Up Soon With The Obx + Slp Loudmouth. Too Bad The Cold Weather Is Coming

Thanks Again Everyone!

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

wait so the obx headers have problems with the collector being to close to the floorboard too? that's the major problem with the xs's they sell over on ls1tech. their drivers side collector is angled up so high that it's literally impossible to get the y pipe on w/o cutting and re-welding either the header, y pipe or both. i was considering getting a set of obxs to avoid this problem until i read about this....

ps. i'm not talking about the collector being close to the floor so that when you drive it may bang (i'd just use the heater hose mod) i'm talking about it being literally so close that you cant make a connection with the y pipe in its stock setup (like the xs).

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Just Wanted To Thank Anyone Who Has Contributed To This Thread. Not Only Did It Help Me Out A Ton, But I Got All The Right Parts. I Even Got Those Doughnut Gaskets For A Whopping $11 A Piece. Hopefully I Will Have A Video Clip Up Soon With The Obx + Slp Loudmouth. Too Bad The Cold Weather Is Coming

Thanks Again Everyone!
    You are totally welcome, I was hoping this thread would do just that. I had such a problem with getting all the right parts. Every garage I pull into for service I get lots of compliments on the headers.

I can't wait to see your vid(s), I've not heard OBX with the Loudmouth but I'm sure it's gonna be nasty!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information