Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Very incouraging info,Thanks!Waiting for the video to come out LOL....

red
    1999 trans am convert

Very incouraging info,Thanks!Waiting for the video to come out LOL.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Can you guys get your drain plug out? On mine, I had to dent one of the pipes to get it out. Just curious because on mine, headers went right in, but the y pipe doesnt fit very good at all. I didnt catch it until after I was done installing everything, I was needless to say very pissed off. Nothing like taking out the driver side header one more time. I guess it was a good thing it was still on the stands yet.
    Last edited by 98formy; 04-05-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

my drain plug is close, but it comes out. first thing i checked since they looked so similar to the flp's.
    and yeah, the y pipe took some massaging to get together. had to open up the ends of the resonators just a hair to get the pipes in and the ends were a little out of round making them hard to get together. wasn't a big deal. took about 5 minutes and a few taps from a hammer to get everything to go together nicely.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

That header on mine must not be bent properly, that's why my y pipe fit like crap and hangs down some on the drivers side. Thanks.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Since those resonators are not cats, are you guys using Sims or throwing codes?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    That header on mine must not be bent properly, that's why my y pipe fit like crap and hangs down some on the drivers side. Thanks.
    there is a ton of room for adjustment on the y pipe. just loosen all of the connections (even the 4 bolts for the resonators to header connections), have someone else hold up on it and retighten everything. with the type of connection the header and resonators have you can get the y pipe right against the floor(got mine tucked up nicely, just took a few extra minutes).

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Since those resonators are not cats, are you guys using Sims or throwing codes?
    usings sims for a few weeks until i get it tuned. you'll throw codes for sure. you can pick them up and look right through them.

red
    1999 trans am convert

You guys pretty much convinced me on these and I am on the verge of ordering them but have a couple more questions.
    Did you use the header gaskets that come with them,they look kinda skimpy in the pics.
    Also,what lenght O2 extensions for front and rear(in case I don't use sims)?
    Thanks for all the info!

Pewter
    2001 Z28

You guys pretty much convinced me on these and I am on the verge of ordering them but have a couple more questions.
    Did you use the header gaskets that come with them,they look kinda skimpy in the pics.
    Also,what lenght O2 extensions for front and rear(in case I don't use sims)?
    Thanks for all the info!
    i bought new gaskets from the dealer. don't waste your time with the ones that come with them. you're actually supposed to be able to reuse the stock ones, but i bought new ones just to be safe. as for the o2's, i bought bosch 13111's instead of using extensions. i'd rather use ones that already come with longer wires than mess with splicing or extensions. plus the car has almost 70k on it so i wanted to change them anyways.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Well,I took the plunge and ordered.I prefer not to spend another hundred on the Bosch O2's so can you tell me what lenght extensions I woul need?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Well,I took the plunge and ordered.I prefer not to spend another hundred on the Bosch O2's so can you tell me what lenght extensions I woul need?
    that i'm not 100% sure of. you MIGHT get away with 12 inchers, but i don't want to make a liar of myself and tell you that it's definitely what you need.
    for the rears, you might as well run sims or leave them unplugged because you're gonna get a code from them anyways since there's no cats. no sense in spending money on any extensions for them (even though i don't think you'd need them, they would probably fit with the stock o2's).
    if the longer extensions are the same price, i'd just get them and you can zip tie the extra wire out of the way.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

i got a few questions about these. first, i assume these things are long tube's. it didn't specify the length anywhere on the ebay page. they look like lt's but i'd just like to make sure. second, the resonators are just hollow pipes that are there to reduce rasp and/or look like cats? they wont rob any hp from the setup as cats would right? finally, are these race headers or do they have air/egr fittings. i have an 02 which doesn't have egr to begin with, so having to buy blockoff plates for something i dont have would piss me off. thanks in advance guys!

ps. i looked through the whole thread and no one has posted a vid/sound clip of these installed yet. does anyone have one they can post up somewhere?

Pewter
    2001 Z28

yes, they're longtubes. the resonators are just straight through resonators with a perforated shell in them, similar to looking through a magnaflow muffler. they come with the air/egr fittings too. the ones that i got for my 01 had an egr fitting, but it had a screw in plug in it so you don't need block off plates.
    i'm still waiting for the snow to clear up to get good video/pics/soundclips of them. until then, it's sitting in the garaged at my dad's house covered up.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Until hallass can haul his ass out of the snow(LOL),here is a video clip of the sound from the OTHER site.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...v?t=1169999724

Hope I did it correctly

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

One 12" and one 24" o2 extension is recommended.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Thanks,9t8z28 I want to get the parts together to install in a couple weeks.

Black
    1999 Formula

Any pics of them installed?

thanks

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Until hallass can haul his ass out of the snow(LOL),here is a video clip of the sound from the OTHER site.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...v?t=1169999724

Hope I did it correctly
    sounds good man, but im sure the magnaflow is helping some. i would love to hear a before and after with the stock exhaust setup (or even better with the slp dual/dual cause thats what i have lol). but beggers cant be choosiers so thanks for the vid!

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    sounds good man, but im sure the magnaflow is helping some. i would love to hear a before and after with the stock exhaust setup (or even better with the slp dual/dual cause thats what i have lol). but beggers cant be choosiers so thanks for the vid!
    you really wont notice a difference with/without LTs on a stock exhaust

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Okay, I also got a vid posted on photobucket.... Also with Magnaflow cat-back.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...Magnaflow4.flv

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information