Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on OBX Racing headers!!!!!!!!!! within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by bealschad Well i do have close-up on my smashed phone. But I can tell you they are ...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Missing Parts in OBX Header Kit

Quote Originally Posted by bealschad View Post
    Well i do have close-up on my smashed phone. But I can tell you they are a high polished stainless, 100% welded,3/8 flanges,they are also welded inside the collectors with a cone in center. 4 welded nuts for the o2 sensers. The collectors are the best 4 bolt flanges with donut gaskets. Not the old junky 3 bolt with a gay paper gasket that blows out every other day. 1000% yes on the OBX headers
    I bought the OBX headers and the welds look great, the flanges are thick and everything looks great about them. Except for the fact that the kit is missing header bolts (ordered Stage 8 bolts), collector to cat flange bolts (picked up 8 stainless steel bolts+nuts at Lowe's), and most importantly, missing two 3" donut gaskets between the collector and "cats." I have called all over town and spent an entire day off on this wild goose chase trying to find 3" donut gaskets.

OBX's website does not work anymore and I can not find a phone number for them on yellowpages.com. Now this guy I went to thinks I have to get something fabricated just to get this kit together. That is rediculous! My car is on a lift and these headers need to get on the car. Do you guys know how to get this kit together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    I bought the OBX headers and the welds look great, the flanges are thick and everything looks great about them. Except for the fact that the kit is missing header bolts (ordered Stage 8 bolts), collector to cat flange bolts (picked up 8 stainless steel bolts+nuts at Lowe's), and most importantly, missing two 3" donut gaskets between the collector and "cats." I have called all over town and spent an entire day off on this wild goose chase trying to find 3" donut gaskets.

OBX's website does not work anymore and I can not find a phone number for them on yellowpages.com. Now this guy I went to thinks I have to get something fabricated just to get this kit together. That is rediculous! My car is on a lift and these headers need to get on the car. Do you guys know how to get this kit together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    From pics I have seen of them awhile ago, (I'f I remember correctly) they are ball flanges. They do not need donuts. Just put together and tighten down. They are excellent because you can adjust them however you want.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

So does the rounded end fit right up on the collector? It just doesn't seem like it would make a tight seal that way but I could be wrong. Do you have a link or photos of the kit installed?
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 02-21-2007 at 09:27 PM.

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Hoss I e-mailed you I got them a advanced auto. They can get them some of those guy's that wook there just don't fill like looking in there books. But they do have them. I think for $3.50 You do need 3" donut gaskets no ball flanges. hope that helps you

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    So does the rounded end fit right up on the collector? It just doesn't seem like it would make a tight seal that way but I could be wrong. Do you have a link or photos of the kit installed?
    Does the kit come with the ball flanges from the pic on the right? If so, or if it is similar, it doesn't need them. We make that style ball flanges all the time, and they seal perfect.
    Now from the pic of the OBX headers it seems like the headers have a flange, but not a ball flange. The cats have a flared end for the ball flange. What gives? Why the hell would they have you put a donut in their. Thats just stupid!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I took another look at the header collector and I noticed a raised lip on the end. I guess it does need a gasket. WTF, thats stupid, I am sure they are good quality headers but WTF would they do that? The pic you have on the right should be how their made.
    When I get my QTP headers, (the pic on the right of the ball flange) is what I am going to do to mine. It doesn't require a gasket and it seals perfect!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Obx Wtf?

Okay, Chad says Advance has some 3" donut gaskets so that sounds like a possibility. Tomorrow morning I'm going over to the shop I left my headers at and put bolts in those flanges and see if they will bring those parts together on their own and most importantly if they will indeed seal. If not, I'm heading right over to Advance and not taking, "sorry bud" for an answer!

9t8z28, I that other picture is not a part of the OBX kit. I was just showing what it should have included.

Chad, do you by chance remember who makes those donuts or even better, a part #?

Yeah, I'm pretty upset with OBX right now. While looking around online for the gaskets I've found other header kits that come with donuts. And for the kit to not include flange bolts and header bolts is beyond me. Stuff like that is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of producing the headers, etc. anyway.

I'll keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 02-22-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Okay, this guy I went to said he's ordered a 3" donut and it should be in today and we'll see if it will do the trick. If so, I will post pictures, brand, cost, part #, everything. I don't want someone else to have to go through all this b.s. again. If this thread can help one other person then it's worth it.

red
    1999 trans am convert

bealschad,how high does the car have to be jacked to get these in?On some headers,I've heard guys say the car needs to be higher than the lenght of the header.They go in fron the top?If this donut thing works out I would consider these in the future.They seem to be emissions legal also?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The headers go in from the bottom. The car should be up about 3/4 of the length of the headers.

red
    1999 trans am convert

That sounds doable in my garage on stands.I'll wait to see how it went with Hoss 2000 z28.Thanks!

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

I did it on a lift so i don't know. But make sure that you put some kind of heat rap on the wires on the passenger side. Also make sure the ABS wire is pulled back.
    A nother cupple things to make it a little easer. First remove coil rack on both sides. To do the driver side remove the oil filter and the tranny crossmember get a strap and pull the tranny to the passenger side that will give you enough room to slide the driverside header up in. The passenger side will go up in pretty easey. Also remove the spark plugs first. It isn't that big of a job. I did it my self in under 3 hours.

I will be more than happy to help with any questions i could give you my phone #. Good luck chad

Forgot you will need to get O2 wire extensions. Ebay has them I think they where about $30.
    Last edited by bealschad; 02-25-2007 at 05:52 AM.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Thanks Chad,I haden't realized you posted so I PM'ed you with one last Question.Thanks!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bealschad View Post
    I did it on a lift so i don't know. But make sure that you put some kind of heat rap on the wires on the passenger side. Also make sure the ABS wire is pulled back.
    A nother cupple things to make it a little easer. First remove coil rack on both sides. To do the driver side remove the oil filter and the tranny crossmember get a strap and pull the tranny to the passenger side that will give you enough room to slide the driverside header up in. The passenger side will go up in pretty easey. Also remove the spark plugs first. It isn't that big of a job. I did it my self in under 3 hours.

I will be more than happy to help with any questions i could give you my phone #. Good luck chad

Forgot you will need to get O2 wire extensions. Ebay has them I think they where about $30.
    Good Info. What did you hook the strap on, to pull it to the passenger side?

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

I had my car on a lift and hooked to it. So lets think........ mabe if you have SFC you could pull of it. It's going to have to be pulled from the car if your on jack stands. If you pulled from a post in your garage you could pull the car of the jack stands. If you don't have SFC look for a snakepocket. Let us know how you make out.

Onyx Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Where can I find this system? This system looks NICE! How much will I be looking to pay?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Rajun Cajun View Post
    Where can I find this system? This system looks NICE! How much will I be looking to pay?
    EBAY

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Alright guys, I've got the donuts!!! They are tightly wound wire mesh covered in a type of foil or something. They are solid and sturdy. The guy over charged me because he knew I was despirate for them ($42.24). I didn't get a box or anything, he just handed me the donuts. I asked him what brand they were and he said he didn't know but I do have a part #

3" Donut Gasket Part #: TTP 1556

Now I've got locking header bolts, I've got collector to flange bolts (5/16 x 2"), nuts (5/16), and lock washers. I've got everything I need to get these headers on tomorrow! I already took pictures of the donuts and how they fit onto the collector and how they mount up to the resonator. I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Price of Ebay headers

Quote Originally Posted by Rajun Cajun View Post
    $499.00 + $32.00 shipping.

Not a bad deal at all for solid stainless steel headers with ORY. But, getting the missing parts together is a bit of a pain in the A$$ but this thread should help.

Onyx Black
    2001 SS Camaro

I like the price, I just have to do a search for the system. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information