Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question OBX header install ?'s

Ok a while back there was a thread on this and I read all 9 pages of it and wanted to double check on a few things so I can have everything ready for the install.

1. I plan on deleting the rear 02 sensors almost immediately after the install. Will I need 02 extensions for the front 02 sensors to plug in? The site makes it seeks that it is in the same place as the stock set up. Also how do you plug the hole for the rear 02 sensors?

2. I hear the band clamps leak on the y-pipe. Is there a solution to this by using some type of sealer or gasket or did not everyone have the problem? One guy welded them together and I want to avoid that so I can take it apart if necessary.

3. When the y pipe becomes one do I use a sawsall to cut where the pipe will meet?

4. Are motor mounts necessary and are these a pain to install?

5. Do you have to remove all 8 spark plugs for this install? I know the pasenger rear is a PITA to get to, however, it would be worse if it broek when removing the header.

Thanks guys.. I searched on this topic so hopefully not repeating a previous thread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In lieu of extensions, and if you have some miles on your existing senders, you may just want to splurge for a set of Bosch 13111's. They have a nice long harness and have worked great in our car. Some have apparently experienced issues with the extensions.

The band clamps that I have used all worked good. No leaks or problems, but you do have to tighten the bejesus out of them. I also check them when I am under the car from time to time. I bought some for our Corvette last year and they came with a thick black goo. I cleaned it off and installed them without it.

Motor mounts are recommended as you have everything out of the way once you drop the exhaust. I installed my Kooks and left the stock mounts alone as they appeared to be in good shape. That's your call -- how many miles on the car?

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

The car has 114K. So I would have to either get extensions or completely replace the 02 sensors with longer extensions?

Are motor mounts difficult to install with everything out of the way?

I don't want to fork out too much money so if I can do without them for now that would be great, unless it is very difficulty to do them once LT have been installed.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Better to do the mounts now imo. Unless the O2's have been previously replaced, yours are certainly due. Around 80,000 miles is my understanding of their life expectancy - over time their accuracy degrades.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Ok a while back there was a thread on this and I read all 9 pages of it and wanted to double check on a few things so I can have everything ready for the install.

1. I plan on deleting the rear 02 sensors almost immediately after the install. Will I need 02 extensions for the front 02 sensors to plug in? The site makes it seeks that it is in the same place as the stock set up. Also how do you plug the hole for the rear 02 sensors?

2. I hear the band clamps leak on the y-pipe. Is there a solution to this by using some type of sealer or gasket or did not everyone have the problem? One guy welded them together and I want to avoid that so I can take it apart if necessary.

3. When the y pipe becomes one do I use a sawsall to cut where the pipe will meet?

4. Are motor mounts necessary and are these a pain to install?

5. Do you have to remove all 8 spark plugs for this install? I know the pasenger rear is a PITA to get to, however, it would be worse if it broek when removing the header.

Thanks guys.. I searched on this topic so hopefully not repeating a previous thread.
    1. You will need O2 extensions for the new location of the sensors

2. The band clamps SUCK!!! I was the one who welded everything together and I'm happy I did. Not sure if there's another way around the leaking.

3. The Y pipe should meet up with any Fbody catback perfectly. I put these headers in after I installed the SLP catback and they mated. No sawing needed.

4. The motor mounts aren't necessary, but a good idea to replace with a poly instead of the OEM rubber. They aren't too bad as long as you have a hoist.

5. I didn't remove any spark plugs for the install. But if you are in there, you may as well replace them since you said it yourself... they are a PITA to get to, and you are already going to be nosing around in the right areas.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    98 Trans Am

Great choice of Headers. Which OBX set up did you get? the stand alone headers or the OBX LT Kit? I use the Stand alones and LLP ORY pipe and had HF cats welded in later (cuts down rasp and drone but keeps its mean tone under throttle)

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have OBX headers and I didn't need extensions...for some reason.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

I bought the entire kit with resonators and y pipe. I had some issues with the guy who sold them to me on eBay, as he sold me a kit where the y pipe wasn't lining up and the kit seems slightly used. Long story... So in the process of ordering a new kit since he has been giving me a run around and eBay had to intervene. I think the resonators cut down on the rasp, but there is a kit with HF cats, but is like another $195. I don't like how the y pipe is in 3 pieces and goes together with clamps. Just seems like it would leak a lot.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    I bought the entire kit with resonators and y pipe. I had some issues with the guy who sold them to me on eBay, as he sold me a kit where the y pipe wasn't lining up and the kit seems slightly used. Long story... So in the process of ordering a new kit since he has been giving me a run around and eBay had to intervene. I think the resonators cut down on the rasp, but there is a kit with HF cats, but is like another $195. I don't like how the y pipe is in 3 pieces and goes together with clamps. Just seems like it would leak a lot.
    I have the kit with the high flow cats and it doesn't leak at all as long as you have those clamps on tight.

Red
    98 Trans Am

THe kit seems alright, but it looked like its piping was a littlke smallers so i went with
    these from OBX

THe ORY pipe is from LLP. FIT GREAT

Then later i added some HF cats

Thread Information