Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

O2 sensors

This is a discussion on O2 sensors within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i just got a can of that cleaner and it took all the crap off of the MAF sensor. it's ...

red
    2000 camaro

i just got a can of that cleaner and it took all the crap off of the MAF sensor. it's nice and clean now, but i took it out for a test run and it still jumps on a hill. i guess i'm going to have to replace all 3 sensors now.. and i'd say they're due for a swap, the guy that had it before me didn't take care of anything on the car. i'm just waiting on my check so i can go pick up the new sensors and then swap them out on a warm day. i'll have to look up how to change them and where they're located too, i have no idea where they are. if all else fails my dad will know. he's told me about his experiences rebuilding and adding onto engines when he was my age. i'll let you guys know what happens whenever i get the O2's changed.. and if that still doesn't fix the problem, i dunno what else to check

GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by plumpkibbles View Post
    i just got a can of that cleaner and it took all the crap off of the MAF sensor. it's nice and clean now, but i took it out for a test run and it still jumps on a hill. i guess i'm going to have to replace all 3 sensors now.. and i'd say they're due for a swap, the guy that had it before me didn't take care of anything on the car. i'm just waiting on my check so i can go pick up the new sensors and then swap them out on a warm day. i'll have to look up how to change them and where they're located too, i have no idea where they are. if all else fails my dad will know. he's told me about his experiences rebuilding and adding onto engines when he was my age. i'll let you guys know what happens whenever i get the O2's changed.. and if that still doesn't fix the problem, i dunno what else to check
    B4 u change the sensors, check the cats and I'm pretty sure they're clogged and dirty. Thats what made my car jump around when going up a hill. I straight piped it and it stopped doing it. Oh and I changed the sparks and wires.
    Last edited by dneemorelos; 02-15-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by plumpkibbles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneemorelos View Post
    B4 u change the sensors, check the cats and I'm pretty sure they're clogged and dirty. Thats what made my car jump around when going up a hill. I straight piped it and it stopped doing it. Oh and I changed the sparks and plugs.
    Usually O2 sensors won't cause it to jump under a light load like you describe. It really is hard to figure these things out from several hundred miles away.

Spark plugs/wires can cause what you describe tho. Clogged convertors mainly show up as low power all the time, and not an engine misfire situation. However, a misfire can cause the convertors to plug as they would run too hot and possibly melt inside causing a restricition.

If you can mist the wires with water from a spray bottle then suddenly the engine runs rough, that is most likely the problem, arcing plug wires. Change the plugs at the same time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree. It's tough to diagnose without being there and you said you changed plugs/wires which would be near the top of the list of things to check. Maybe pull those plug boots off and make sure they're clicking onto the plugs....might just have a loose wire.

red
    2000 camaro

How would I go about checking the convertors myself? I'll recheck my plugs and wires though. I made sure they clicked onto the boot before I went on. But it has done this since I bought the car. There is one thing I just thought of.. On my passenger side the jack spot to raise the car is bent to hell causing the fender in front of the door frame to stick out maybe a couple of centimeters. If right, my convertor is right beside that, right? From what I read in my book, it has a honey comb mesh covering. I'm thinking the guy may have smacked it pretty hard with a rock or something.. That thought never occured to me untill just now. I just assumed that he hit something and not to worry about it. I'm definitely goingto check that out and see if it's damaged in any way.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's from someone jacking it up in the wrong spot most likely....pretty common. That tab is plastic. You could try taking those bolts out of there and then using some good epoxy and sticking it back to the fender piece then putting the bolts back in. That may pull your fender up tight.....if that doesn't work it'll take a new quarter panel to fix it.

Normally when you have a blocked cat the car will run like a dog. I just went through this with my truck this summer. I had a cat completely fail and the honeycomb plugged the pipe up completely. The truck would do maybe 30mph all the way to the floor until I could get it to a parking lot and cut the convertor off with a hacksaw. Although your car probably wouldn't be quite as bad it would still be very noticeable that it was down on power.
    The jerking you describe to me really sounds like a misfire. Maybe try to get with some local people and find someone that can data log the car. That will tell you real quick what's going on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information