No mufflers with cats, too loud??

well this is my first post im going to introduce my self. i just purchased this car my second z28 i first owned a 95 z28 auto nice car but i had to sell it. Now i have a 2001 z28 6speed i love it. but it has a dual exhaust with flowmasters i didnt put this on the car by the way. it was done by the previous owner. what i would like to do is cut it off right where the rear axle is because that is where the pipes are weld'd on b4 the mufflers. The car still has 2 cats from the down pipe its not too loud now, but i heard that a single flowmaster isnt a great flowing muffler and now i have 2 so i bet it would flow alot better with out ne mufflers!! but the sound is what im worried about i was wondering if any one has ran thier cars with the cats and straight exhuasts. i know it would be very loud with long tubes and no cats but when i get long tubes i plan on getting 2 slp shog gun resonators. What are you opinions i just cant deside i'd like more power of course but i dont want my car to be insanly loud. and also i have heard ls1's with a electric cut out b4 and they sound good to me do you think this will sound similar. thanks for your time everyone.

black
    2000 ss

get a cutout thats what i did and its louder than stock but not to bad

yea i was thinking about that but id have to spend like over 200 for 2 cut outs and i'd probly drive with them open the whole time. i was actualy thinking of taking it to an exhaust shop and just getting the mufflers replaced with straight pipes so it still looks good. i mean do you think i would feel the power difference when i take off the flowmasters?

Snake Eater
    Cutouts are only 20 or so dollars a piece. If you decide to take of the flows, I would suggest putting a different muffler in place of each. Perhaps bullets--they sound loud and deep.

so are bullets a brand in them selves or is it a dynomax bullets? thanks for the help again. but the price i had were for 2 electric cut outs. im going to definitly getting some manual cut outs as well.

Snake Eater
    No problem. Yes, Dynomax Bullets. My mistake about the cutout.

Snake Eater
    Oh and since you're running straight pipes out, open cutouts may actually rob some power.

Black
    1998 Trans am

I drove a 95 Z-28 (LT-1) with cats no mufflers and pipes out the back, and it was LOUD. Real snappy cracky loud, probably louder than an LS-1 car would be. The LS-1 cars have a higher pitch to the exhaust and I think it would get real annoying. It would be a real cop catcher.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Rather than figuring this out and taking it to a shop to get it all done and hoping it's what you want, just cut the mufflers off and see if it's too loud and if you like the sound. If you do like it than take it to have the pipes ran out the back, and if you don't like it have them put in some bullets or something . That way you can hear it without mufflers without paying to have it ran out the back and commiting yourself to it

yea the 95's only have 1 cat. so i dunno if that would make it louder. but yea i think im going to go with the idea of cutting it. im probly going to cut it at the axle where the weld spots are then take off the rear section and hope it sounds good and either leave it like that or get new piping to the tips. im just into it for the power honestly but do you guys think ill realy gain much at all from takeing off the flow masters. i mean ill tell you right now its not that much louder than stock i think. but with the mufflers cut with just cats i bet it will be loud as hell so im hoping it will just sound like an ls1 with a cut outs because in theory it should? but let me know if ya'll think i will actualy gain some real horse power thanks for the help again.

Thread Information