Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

newb, stock, driveway mods?

This is a discussion on newb, stock, driveway mods? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If you have more than 1 property then its ok. If you just register it out of town at a ...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you have more than 1 property then its ok. If you just register it out of town at a friends house or something thats differant. If your gonna do it, try and see if you have any family members around so it will be less suspicious.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

And this is why i love living in OK no smog bs or inspections anymore

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    And this is why i love living in OK no smog bs or inspections anymore
    How is your beach weather?

And, won't you have a foot of snow in a couple of months.

I see bishes in bikinis everyday, wear flip-flops all year.....

But really, lets stay on topic... Back to getting around smog checks

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RossRinSD View Post

I see that everyday as well........in the summer that is. No fucking way ill be seeing that in January. Ok back on topic.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I want to go ask Someone at a DMV if I can just use a po box for my registration because I have rental property in lake county and I'm going to keep my car there. if I get the green light I'm doin it

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I want to go ask Someone at a DMV if I can just use a po box for my registration because I have rental property in lake county and I'm going to keep my car there. if I get the green light I'm doin it
    Post up your results. I'd bet you get misinformation from the DMV employee. I wouldn't mention any of the rental property type stuff, just tell them that you only get your mail at a PO box.

If that doesn't work, try the Mailboxes plus. That way if you get a red-light ticket, or even just the renewal notice Mailboxes plus can forward it to you. And with Mailboxes plus, you'll have a real street address, not just a PO box.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Post up your results. I'd bet you get misinformation from the DMV employee. I wouldn't mention any of the rental property type stuff, just tell them that you only get your mail at a PO box.

If that doesn't work, try the Mailboxes plus. That way if you get a red-light ticket, or even just the renewal notice Mailboxes plus can forward it to you. And with Mailboxes plus, you'll have a real street address, not just a PO box.
    ok good to know. does anyone know if you can get mail to a po box forwarded to your home adress. if so that would help alot

Black
    2002 Z28

Mod Results

Quote Originally Posted by thefridge View Post
    ... im looking for a good combination of mods i can do possably over a weekend, im a marine and i live in the brks,
    i have a set of pacesetter lts,
    *note i do nto know most of the abbv. i see on here so full names help me out alot, i want to learn as much as i can here.
    from reading arround i have figured out,
    frost tune, lt headers,
    but alot of what i read i dont quite understand right now, so if anyone wants to help me and anyone else that new out, let me know what is soem good things to start out with, and also what exactly does that part or tune do for me thanks in advance
    Hello Marine from SeaBee!

Although I don't post much, I read a lot... From all the info I gathered here's what I did to my daily driver along with the results I got:

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142987

I'm sure the brands probably don't matter as much for power production as they do for quality, fit and durability. The catch cans are primarily for HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) that I'm only beginning to get involved with. The header wrap I'm using primarily for heat insulation reasons, and unless you want it, probably isn't worth it. The jury is still out on the smooth bellow... however it's an easy mod and certainly can't hurt efficiency. The tune won't happen over the weekend if you mail it, so plan ahead about a week (depending on shipping) for total turnaround door-to-door. It's worth it though. The part about the tune you don't see in the graph is drivability... It's much more fun to drive as a result.

I plan to spend more time at HPDEs than at the drag strip. So, after I get some decent experience under my belt, my planned future mods will be suspension related. Some will say for HPDEs I should've done this first, but after having the car 9yrs, I was ready for a little bit more of a hot rod getting on the highway going to work in the morning

Anyway, hope this helps.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans am ws6

SORRY been awhile since i read all this, thank you all for all the information, it really is kinda overwelming though, its ok i wanna learn,
    ok ive deffinatly got a 6speed,
    and im not looking for all out balls to the wall speed, (yet) right now i just want them few extra that puts me above the stock cars out there.
    yes i have cali plates, BUT i will only be stationed here for another month and its already been smogged.
    so from what i gather i shouldent get the mail order frost tune untill after i have got the headers in, because right now im not going to do much else untill i get to my new duty station in north carolina, so wait for the tune untill i have the headers in right?
    ok another question skip shift, i hate it, badly, how can i make it go away.
    lid? explain please i know what it is but what does it do, and how does a better one help! yall are awsome thanks

Black
    98 Camaro 1LE

SORRY been awhile since i read all this, thank you all for all the information, it really is kinda overwelming though, its ok i wanna learn,
    and im not looking for all out balls to the wall speed, (yet) right now i just want them few extra that puts me above the stock cars out there.
    yes i have cali plates, BUT i will only be stationed here for another month and its already been smogged.
    so from what i gather i shouldent get the mail order frost tune untill after i have got the headers in, because right now im not going to do much else untill i get to my new duty station in north carolina, so wait for the tune untill i have the headers in right?
    lid? explain please i know what it is but what does it do, and how does a better one help! yall are awsome thanks
    You should be able to have Frost turn off the skip shift when you get the tune. I got one of those skip shift eliminator kits on ebay for a few bucks.

The lid removes the factory restrictions that mostly make the thing quieter. So, if you combine the lid with something like a Fast Toys Ram Air, you'll hear it. I like the exta noise myself.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Subframe connectors will help make your car last longer and transfer more torque to the rear end. They help prevent the body twisting out of places, making t-tops not fit, panels not align and so on.

The LID is a cheap upgrade that adds a couple HP, nothing youll notice though. Added with some other things like a smooth bellow, throttle body bypass, and porting the throttle body will get you even more.

Skip shift:
    READ THIS for the cheap way to eliminate the skipshift. It's also the least reliable.
    2nd cheapest way is the SLP plug and play skipshift eliminator, READ HERE.
    The third option is to get it tuned out. Frost is a very trusted site sponsor.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would say Subframe connectors definitely should be the first mod for any fbody.

the "resistor" method might be the least reliable method to eliminate the skip shift, but I did it in the summer of 02 and it still is "fixed"

black

thanks on the skip shift ideas, ill prolly try out the reisister, just bc its easy and i hate the skip shift that much.

black

subframe connectors, could someone give me a lil info on those?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

subframe connectors, could someone give me a lil info on those?
    They are a must for any uni-body car, IMO. (Street, track, or touring)
    They will help prevent the body flexing/twisting and stop the body sag which causes the doors to become out of alignment.
    They will stop a lot of the rattles, creaks, and groans caused by the body being twisted.

UMI is a sponsor on this site and is the brand you should go with.

black

thank you ill look into it, what level of skill is the installation?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

thank you ill look into it, what level of skill is the installation?
    You can get bolt in (do it yourself relatively easily) and weld-in (need to know how to weld).

I would recommend weld-in, but you can always get the bolt-in and install them yourself and then later on down the road get them welded in.

black

so i got on umi's website and im wondering what kind of sfc am i looking for there were a few types bolt in and weld in, and different price ranges*right now im basically making my to do list*

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the 2pt tubular weld-in.

You can't go wrong with either 2 or 3 pt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information