Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

New Member Exhaust - Help?

I got my '99 T/A about 2 months ago, and ever since it's been day after day of trolling forums, watching countless youtube vids, and visiting LS1sounds religiously. I've narrowed it down a bit, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed. I've wanted an LS1 T/A since I was 8, even made loops of a LM1 on a CD and fell asleep to it (yeah, I was THAT kid, haha). A guy I knew in highschool had a 30th T/A with a MAC catback, BBK lt's, ory, and a mild cam. It sounded raspy and NASTY mean, and I adored that sound back then. Luckily, my idea of tone has matured, and have since grown out of the SLP/rasp binge. I've become somewhat of a tone freak (through guitar, etc.) and seem to be a bit anal about nailing the sound I want...certainly doesn't help my choice, haha. I've come to really like what I'm guessing is the "chambered muffler" sound. To be perfectly honest (I know this may be blasphemy)...I really dig the sound of 99-04 Mustang exhausts. Any catback you throw on them, you get this perfect rolling, growl. It's almost melodic. Granted, modded F-bodies can't be beat in tone, but for a moderately "stock" car...I think Mustangs sound a bit better. That being said, I suppose I'd be looking for a "clean" rolling, low growl. Loudness has no effect on me. I care nothing about decibel range. Only tone. I've looked at the Magnaflow, and am by no means impressed. Clean, but too quiet for my taste. Highway drone isn't a big factor for me either. I enjoy it. Bring on the volume, as long as it sounds good.

(Sorry, I know this is long...)

After all that, here's the set up I have: stock. Haha.

I don't plan on making any huge exhaust changes, at least for a while. It'l be catted, stock manifolds, and stock Y. That's what leads me to the more aggressive sounding cat-backs/mufflers. If I'm correct, they pronounce really well when catted, and with stock parts.

I've heard Dynomax is pretty raspy...true?

Hooker is another on my "ok" list.

GMMG of course is No. 1...but the price kills it for me. Think I could take a TSP system and just use a GMMG clone? Are the systems close enough in design to give the same sound? Would I be better off getting a shop to take a look at a GMMG pic and fab a custom one for me?

I've done some looking at GMMG-like mufflers. I think there are a few. Powersticks, Stainless Works, maybe a few more. Some seems to come aluminized, rather than stainless...will this have a negative effect in the long run?

Also, what's the difference in a "chambered muffler" like a powerstick, and a Dynomax Bullet? Is a Bullet just a resonator, like a LM1?

Now that you know a bit more about my setup and plans...any advice, suggestions?

Thanks guys.

hugger orange

a bullet muffler is basicly just a small strait through glasspack muffler (resonator).
    I've heard lots of people say they have never heard a better sounding exhaust that a Spinteck...you can get them in a 4" single that flows excellent.
    since you are keeping stock manifolds and cats you might even want to go to a local shop and get a custom bent strait pipe 1st, listen to it and see if you even want to put a muffler on it (stock manifolds and cats will keep your car pretty quiet). then if you want a muffler later you can just cut a section of pipe out and mount your muffler

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I have a Borla catback on my T/A with stock manifolds. I don't really care for the tips but they are going to stay for now, low on cash. My GTO has a Kooks 1 and 7/8" long tubes and a Corsa Touring catback. The Goat sounds sorta like a Mustang but in a good way.

Scott

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quite pleased with the Magnaflow system. Like you, I did not want any rasp or drone that some systems exhibit. My results: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121606

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

thanks for the replies, people.

i'm going to start giving Spintech a look.

Corsa is great...just a bit out of my price-range unfortunately :/ i LOVE the tips though. might look into getting a set of those (or at least some clones, haha).

and the Magnaflow really is good about no rasp, i can attest to that. I had a Magnaflow catback on my '98 Firebird before i got the T/A. loved it. pajeff02...your results really are impressive. i'm still thinking that it's a bit too quiet for my taste. thanks for the suggestion though!

any other thoughts on powersticks or similar GMMG systems, with a stock setup?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Corsa,Magnaflow,GMMG, and SpinTech all have great a great tone. Have a SpinTech on my car. This video is before cam and cutout I really enjoyed the SpinTech tone with no cam.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_0116.flv

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

thanks Hi-Po! that spintech sounds sick! it's got a good growl to it. right now, hooker, spintech, and GMMG clones are my top choices. i just really want something that makes the ground shake when i drive by.

...was waiting for a bus to the university the other day, and was listening to music through noise canceling headphones. didn't hear a thing, but felt a vibration in the post i was leaning on. my clothes and chest got a little tickle in them too. turned the other way to see a red WS.6 taking off. lifted my headphones and heard one of the most glorious sounds ever. cool moment. i want that, haha.

anyone with opinions (biased or not) on those 3?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 99superhawk View Post
    thanks Hi-Po! that spintech sounds sick! it's got a good growl to it. right now, hooker, spintech, and GMMG clones are my top choices. i just really want something that makes the ground shake when i drive by.

...was waiting for a bus to the university the other day, and was listening to music through noise canceling headphones. didn't hear a thing, but felt a vibration in the post i was leaning on. my clothes and chest got a little tickle in them too. turned the other way to see a red WS.6 taking off. lifted my headphones and heard one of the most glorious sounds ever. cool moment. i want that, haha.

anyone with opinions (biased or not) on those 3?
    If you really want ground shaking, I would look into an electric cutout and... a different cam No better sound. I would say look around for deals. Check out the sale section here, and the 'other' site. Can find good deals on people who buy 4 different catbacks looking for thier magical sound. Good luck.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Corsa,Magnaflow,GMMG, and SpinTech all have great a great tone. Have a SpinTech on my car. This video is before cam and cutout I really enjoyed the SpinTech tone with no cam.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_0116.flv

Really sounds great! Stupid Nicorette ad kept trying to open the whole time I was watching your vid.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

anyone have any good Spintech vids? (preferably stock)...i'm not picky though.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If you really want ground shaking, I would look into an electric cutout and... a different cam No better sound. I would say look around for deals. Check out the sale section here, and the 'other' site. Can find good deals on people who buy 4 different catbacks looking for thier magical sound. Good luck.
    X2 on the electric cutout! Install it in your I pipe under the passenger seat. You can adjust the volume and close it up when the cops come.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

i may consider doing a cutout from a catback...still wanting to change up the sound a bit

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

I got a Borla adj catback you should look into it you can put different plates in or use the block off plate and drill holes to make your own sound.

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo..._System/14780/

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Spin Tech does have a 3" cat-back system available.
    http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

I'd kill for a borla...but they're pretty far out of my price range. Thanks for the spintech link...does anyone have any vids/soundclips of the system?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ls1sounds.com that is about as good as it gets.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

You should still be able to get the Spin Tech 3" cat-back with oval exhaust tips also, for about $20 more.The sound should be very similar to the Mufflex dual outlet 3.5" and 4" cat-back systems, since the only difference in the dual outlet Spin Tech mufflers is the inlet size,and the cases are 5" x 11" x 17" (3.5", 4"),the 3" system has a 4" x 10" x 15" case;they all have 3" outlets.
    Last edited by Blue28; 09-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

no offense to any users, but after hearing the Mufflex (which is a bit too tinny at hi-rev for my taste), if Spintech supposedly sounds similar to Mufflex, i'll most likely be looking elsewhere. still, much thanks for the suggestions, guys. this really is helping me narrow my options.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 99superhawk View Post
    no offense to any users, but after hearing the Mufflex (which is a bit too tinny at hi-rev for my taste), if Spintech supposedly sounds similar to Mufflex, i'll most likely be looking elsewhere. still, much thanks for the suggestions, guys. this really is helping me narrow my options.
    no offense taken here man, that's why there are so many exhaust compamies out there.....we all have different tastes

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Wink

FYI, The Mufflex is available with a Flowmaster 40 series or Spin tech muffler.
    Furthermore, I was only making comparison to the Mufflex with the Spin tech muffler, not the flowmaster.

Which one have you heard, or have you heard both?
    BTW, no offensive taken here either.
    Last edited by Blue28; 09-21-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Thread Information