Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

New Intake...Worth it???

I have some minor mods to my 02 TA WS6

373.1 Gear, SLP Air Box, K&N, Nitto DR 555 Tires

I have been trying to figure out what to do next to step things up a bit. I have been looking at several different intakes. Will I notice a big difference with an upgraded intake??? Also what is a good brand and where is the best place to get them from?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by TopForm11 View Post
    I have some minor mods to my 02 TA WS6

373.1 Gear, SLP Air Box, K&N, Nitto DR 555 Tires

I have been trying to figure out what to do next to step things up a bit. I have been looking at several different intakes. Will I notice a big difference with an upgraded intake??? Also what is a good brand and where is the best place to get them from?
    The FAST intake would probably be the best intake for you, but you would not gain very much from it with your current mods, and it would be expensive. To get more bang for your buck I would look into getting an exhaust set up with long tube headers and a tune before you start thinking of an intake. With the 02s having the LS6 intake it does not seem feasible to me to bother with an expensive intake until you have a cam and heads to support it.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I do have Flomasters installed...but just the muffler for now.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Put some pacesetter lt on there and a nice ory and get a tune........

black trans am

dude your ls6 intake will be fine if u do the free mods and descreen your MAF ull get a bit more power out of that car.. port and polish ur TB of by a after market one ull have plenty of air flow to ur intake side ... just changing ur muffler is not going to give u a ton of power .. if i wanted to start building my eng i would get a full ex like magnaflow (best flowing) and great sound the tey to hp is air flow

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Looks like you are on your way! Don't think the LS6 intake is not gonna work, it's an excellent intake and even with an MS4 cam (which is on the big side) the LS6 will not hold you back much. When you move up to aftermarket heads you can start looking at the FAST intake and throttle body.

My opinion is that you need to get some good long tube headers and a free flowing exhaust. Believe it or not, Ebay has some good stainless steel headers for a great price. There are threads about them on here, just do a search to learn more. Also, check out LS1sounds.com and listen to some different setups. For the money I think Magnaflow is the best overall. Great sound, stainless steel throughout, and they flow among the best. Once you get your full exhaust your next step is the dyno.
    Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 01-21-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Red
    2001 ws6

LT's and 90mm FAST LSX inake with nick williams 90 MM TB

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

a new intake will not really help until you get a new head and cam package. Spend your money on some long tubes (which you will need for further modding)
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

white
    99 trans am convertible

which intake would you guys prefer weiand or the bbk aftermarket?

I cant justify spending the same on an ls6 as the above. I have the stock ls1. I plan on putting lts, cold air lid, 3500 stall, ms4 cam, updating the valve train, (aftermarket throttle body matching the intake), and have it proffessionally tuned.

or just buck up and spend the money on a fast?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the ls6 doesn't heat soak like the bbk or weiand and you can get used LS6 intakes fairly cheap, I paid $325 shipped for mine 2 years ago off ebay. I would actually put the intake further down the list on your car. I'd get stall, headers, and things like that before the intake.

to the original poster, do you have an auto or stick? If auto do a stall first, if stick then do headers.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TopForm11 View Post
    I do have Chokemasters installed...but just the muffler for now.
    Fixed it for you.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

there is no need for you to get an intake at this time. your car has an Ls6 intake on it already and that will hold you over fine until you go H/C, then get a FAST 90/90 and port it...

put money into other mods such as headers, U/D Pulley, and invest in a good catback system like true duals (ditch the flowmaster no matter what), and get the car tuned. you will be pleased with the numbers...

however, if you have not touched the suspension, hit that up with an Adj. PH Rod, LCA's, Sub-Frame connectors, STB. get the suspension to put the power you have now to the ground...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    there is no need for you to get an intake at this time. your car has an Ls6 intake on it already and that will hold you over fine until you go H/C, then get a FAST 90/90 and port it...

put money into other mods such as headers, U/D Pulley, and invest in a good catback system like true duals (ditch the flowmaster no matter what), and get the car tuned. you will be pleased with the numbers...

however, if you have not touched the suspension, hit that up with an Adj. PH Rod, LCA's, Sub-Frame connectors, STB. get the suspension to put the power you have now to the ground...
    +1^^^^^^^

Thread Information