Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    99' T/A

are new headers and pipes worth it?

Well???....are new headers and pipes worth it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Short answer: Yes.

We upgraded our car in March with Kooks LT's and a catted Y. This plumbed into our pre-existing Magnaflow catback. We followed it up with a mail order tune from Frost and have been enjoying it ever since. Still need to get to the track to lay down some numbers, but to me -- the change in sound sound, ditching the factory cats, and the underhood appearance of the headers -- were all well worth it.

red
    99 camaro

I did the hooker lt's and tsp oryp with the frost tune and nobody can convince me its not faster... Nuff said...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent421 View Post
    Well???....are new headers and pipes worth it?
    A good flowing catback is worth about 10wrh over the base models system. A set of long tube headers with a 3" cross over Y pipe will net you right around 25rwh. I had a hooker catback and I really liked it. When I added Long tube headers with a 3" texas speed catted Y pipe it got really loud. There was also a performance gain in the upper powerband. Most noticeable after 4k. Hope this helps.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    A good flowing catback is worth about 10wrh over the base models system. A set of long tube headers with a 3" cross over Y pipe will net you right around 25rwh. I had a hooker catback and I really liked it. When I added Long tube headers with a 3" texas speed catted Y pipe it got really loud. There was also a performance gain in the upper powerband. Most noticeable after 4k. Hope this helps.
    true duals with an x pipe will do the same thing again from about 4k and up. Just alot louder with turndowns, hence Im gonna run em out the back this weekend and see how that sounds. BTW I had exactly the same setup as yours 2 days ago. It was a good sound for sure but thought I was leaving hp on the table with the single 3in pipe on the catback.

Blackshirt Member SactownHuskers's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

I added a Magnaflow catback about six months ago and loved the better sound. Now I want to add headers and a Y. I've heard alot of people say that even the ebay headers are decent so I may go that route. My question is: will I have fitment problems or can I just order any pair of 1 7/8 long tubes and fit it with any Y pipe for an '01? Also, do different brand headers make much of a difference in sound or does the derive mostly from the catback one has?
    Last edited by SactownHuskers; 08-07-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Half cocked, Full Throttle!
    2001 Black Trans Am WS6 M6
    1986 383 Stroker Red Chevrolet Camaro
    2006 Blue Kawasaki ZX6R 636

Red
    2001 Trash Can

NOOOOOO!!!!! Once you start modding you wont be able to stop so dont do it unless you plan on devoting part of every paycheck/ every moment of your spare time to researching, buying, and working on the car

Quote Originally Posted by SactownHuskers View Post
    I added a Magnaflow catback about six months ago and loved the better sound. Now I want to add headers and a Y. I've heard alot of people say that even the ebay headers are decent so I may go that route. My question is: will I have fitment problems or can I just order any pair of 1 7/8 long tubes and fit it with any Y pipe for an '01? Also, do different brand headers make much of a difference in sound or does the derive mostly from the catback one has?
    All long tubes flow and sound the same, price reflects quality. ARH, and Kooks are the top runners. Brands like pacesetter and BBK are middle of the road. Make sure you get ceramic coated. One thing I noticed is that magnaflow doesnt get loud when you add long tubes. My buddy has mf catback/lts and he sounds nearly stock.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Thanks Mike, i think the mabnaflow catback really improved the sound. Its not way loud but definitely more aggressive than before.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

1st thing I did on the 02 was exhaust. 3rd thing I did was modify the exhaust into a true dual setup (see sig).

And the mod bug just won't stop. I'm currently looking at a set of ZO6 (LS6) heads and a cam to get into the 11's...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Where can I buy a texas speed y pipe? I'm going with pacesetter ceramic long tubes. It says it's for offroad, is this what i want? Or is there a different model number I need to find?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Where can I buy a texas speed y pipe? I'm going with pacesetter ceramic long tubes. It says it's for offroad, is this what i want? Or is there a different model number I need to find?
    Never mind. Found texas speed.com. Do I want catted ypipe or offroad?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Depends. Do you want to run cats or not? Do you have visual emissions or no?

Imo i didnt lose any horsepower with high flow cats and i like the sound of a catted y over an ory. Also if you removed your cats you will def need a tune to get the light to go off. Local shops around here charge $550.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Is it worth it???? YES YES YES!!!! I ran TSP long tubes with 3" straight pipes back to dynomax mufflers dumped, then had it tuned by Frost. Power improved alot, pulls alot harder, worth every penny!!!!!

yellow
    2005 corvette

What happens to the mixture with long tubes? run rich and tuning will lean it out?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Imo i didnt lose any horsepower with high flow cats and i like the sound of a catted y over an ory. Also if you removed your cats you will def need a tune to get the light to go off. Local shops around here charge $550.
    Thanks. I think i'll go with the catted y then. I'm pretty sure i'm going pacesetter headers. They have Pacesetter QuikTrip and then just Pacesetter. It looks like in the product description that QuikTrip ones are maybe for offroad use and the other are street legal. Is this the same scenario as ory vs. catted y pipe? The quiktrips are more expensive.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

I will go with everyone else. It is definately worth it. Make sure you add the tune when you are done. It makes a huge difference. I sent my computer into Frost, and it was worth the $125. This thing runs great.

I beg to differ about LT's, ORY, and magnaflow. Mine is louder than stock at idle and when you get on it, it definately opens up. I am happy with my setup...

Don
    2002 CETA - ASC# 0008 - 9-7-2001 | Pacesetter LT| TSP ORY| Magnaflow CB | Poly M-Mounts | ASA Cam | 3600 stall | Tuned By Frost <mail order>

Yes they are.
    316 rwh 333 rwt with stock exhaust

337 rwh 342 rwt after lts+ory without a tune

I have the cheapest pacesetters with the tsp off road y pipe and I love it. Got it all for under 500 to the door.

Thread Information