red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

new headers aint workin for me....

so i recently installed a set of SLP longtube/tuned headers into a 3" out(1999 trans WS6/ LS1), no cats and no mufflers. since the install, the engine hasnt been running right. is thise due to the lack of back pressure? or maybee cuz the sensors are acting up? i ordered a flowmaster super 40 to put on it, but if its because of the sensore, were can i get cheater sensors, to convince the computer that nothings wrong? ive kinda dug a deep hole on this one...
    LS1, SLP lid, SLP MAF, bilstein HP shocks, SLP longtube/tuned headers and loudmouth exhaust, built 4L60E w/ transgo shift kit, true ram air, ported TB, LS6 intake, LS6 PCV w/ catch can, FAST fuel rails, LCRB, sub-frame connectors, wide-band O2.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you need a dyno tune, it has nothing to do with backpressure.
    youre a/f is off and thats whats causing the problem. also could be the 02 sensors
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It sounds like you forgot to connect something

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

my car is throwing a ton of codes from my header and ory install but i expected that, definitly need a tune

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

thanks for the input guys, i kinda expected id need atune sooner or later....i was hoping for later. i got a quote for 725.00. is that normall?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sutie View Post
    thanks for the input guys, i kinda expected id need atune sooner or later....i was hoping for later. i got a quote for 725.00. is that normall?
    ($725) Thats crazy!
    I got a quote for $250 and $500 I would expect is average.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

damn i got quoted 100 locally!!

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28 View Post
    damn i got quoted 100 locally!!
    For your first tune? Thats awesome. Any more expensive than that just sounds incredibly unreasonable to me.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    For your first tune? Thats awesome. Any more expensive than that just sounds incredibly unreasonable to me.
    yeah 1st tune

when i go with a cam i am sure it'll be more

I dont see why.

To pay a person to tpye on a laptop and meddle with a dyno over $100 is just nuts. Theyre not even breaking a sweat. Price...and availability is why Ive never gotten one.

Black
    1998 Trans am

If it was easy, anyone could do it. But its not. These people are professionals and have had to learn the fine art of tuning, plus they have thousands of dollars invested in equipment. I would expect to pay $400 to $600 for a good dyno tune. A mail order tune costs more than $100. There is quite a lot more involved than sitting at a laptop and punching a couple of keys. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If you are getting a $100 dollar tune, then you are probably getting your moneys worth.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

so i recently installed a set of SLP longtube/tuned headers into a 3" out(1999 trans WS6/ LS1), no cats and no mufflers. since the install, the engine hasnt been running right. is thise due to the lack of back pressure? or maybee cuz the sensors are acting up? i ordered a flowmaster super 40 to put on it, but if its because of the sensore, were can i get cheater sensors, to convince the computer that nothings wrong? ive kinda dug a deep hole on this one...
    try ditching the SLP maf and putting in your stocker. no muffler will not hurt the PCM. No cats merely means no rear o2 sensors. get some o2 simulators for them or have them tuned out. as said before your Air to fuel ratio should be off alittle so tuning it will yield more power and clear up any roughness. If the only place you can get a dyno tune is charging $725 then just buy a Predator or VHP handheld and delete the rear o2 sensors and put in the stock cam performance tune. Not the best but cheaper than $725. then save up for the cam swap and have a real dyno tune done.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    try ditching the SLP maf and putting in your stocker. no muffler will not hurt the PCM. No cats merely means no rear o2 sensors. get some o2 simulators for them or have them tuned out. as said before your Air to fuel ratio should be off alittle so tuning it will yield more power and clear up any roughness. If the only place you can get a dyno tune is charging $725 then just buy a Predator or VHP handheld and delete the rear o2 sensors and put in the stock cam performance tune. Not the best but cheaper than $725. then save up for the cam swap and have a real dyno tune done.

Do you have a SES light on? Get the codes scanned if you do. Seems something else isn't right. Although headers and no tune aren't the ideal situation the car should still run ok. Define "hasn't been running right". Does that mean it's running like crap or just feels down on power? Explain.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

mine feels down on power at times, of course when i first start it up it runs real good

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

check all your plugs and plug wires, make sure they aren't pinched or burnt through as a result of header contact.

next check your O2's and see if you mixed them up on reinstall.

third if you have an ORY the rear O2's will throw the SES light. check to make sure that none of your O2's are bad.

finally get a tune...

red and black
    1999 Formula/WS6

its down on power, and it idles bad...like a miss. all the plugs and wires are fine. i ordered 2 o2 simulatores to replace the stock ones, and im getting a tune next week.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

its down on power, and it idles bad...like a miss. all the plugs and wires are fine. i ordered 2 o2 simulatores to replace the stock ones, and im getting a tune next week.
    hope that fixes the problem. btw, with the tune, make sure you post up numbers/dyno sheet when it's all said and done!!!

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

$500 in Sacramento

I am getting mine DYNO'd next week after a few mods are complete. I got a quote of $500. I think that's about the right price around here. I would shop around a bit more if I were you.

Thread Information