www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

New exhaust system, best one for my setup?

First, thank you for reading this post. I really need your help!

A dancing bannana.

That's not my problem, but this is. I have a '98 Camaro z28 with midlength headers, comp cam 224581, intake manifold port, throttle body port, msd wires, KN lid and intake, no cats, max energy program, all free mods, 3400 stall. I have 3.5" Pipe ran in H in a true dual setup that dumps before the rear axel with 80 series magnaflows. That's my setup, now here is my question.

I want to run the true dual setup over the passenger side axle, and have normal rear exiting exhaust like everyone else on the planet. I like the low bass that dump setup produces, but I think its visual rather unappealing. I would like some fancy chrome exhaust, that produces a good CAM lobe effect, but still quiet enough to get into the local golf resorts. Aggressive yet civilized. I want something that won't hinder my performance too much, slightly is fine but I don't want to lose more than 10rwhp. I would like something that sounds good when under high RPM, but sounds really deep and low, but quiet at idle. Something that sounds great when starting cold, but not too raspy to where it sounds like rice. I am thinking of letting a local exhaust shop do the setup, but I want to pick the tips and muffler that will achieve this sound.

Muffler:
    Magnaflow 80 series I current have, I don't think it will fit.
    Bullet style
    No muffler, SLP cats

My tip choices are:
    quad style corvette exhaust
    SS rectangular center exit dual
    3.5" Pipes Hotrod style straight out the back on either side

Which will look,perform, and sound the best? If you have a setup in mind that isn't listed, PLEASE SUGGEST ONE! I'm going to commence the exhaust replacement in about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by eautocad; 11-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

all i can say is every time i see the dancing banana it brings back imagines of Steve-O and Chris (what's his name) in the jungle running around in giant banana suits in front of pissed off gorillas, DOH. Those guys are freakin nuts.

good luck, i can't wait to see what every chimes in with as a good system.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    First, thank you for reading this post. I really need your help!

A dancing bannana.

That's not my problem, but this is. I have a '98 Camaro z28 with midlength headers, comp cam 224581, intake manifold port, throttle body port, msd wires, KN lid and intake, no cats, max energy program, all free mods, 3400 stall. I have 3.5" Pipe ran in H in a true dual setup that dumps before the rear axel with 80 series magnaflows. That's my setup, now here is my question.

I want to run the true dual setup over the passenger side axle, and have normal rear exiting exhaust like everyone else on the planet. I like the low bass that dump setup produces, but I think its visual rather unappealing. I would like some fancy chrome exhaust, that produces a good CAM lobe effect, but still quiet enough to get into the local golf resorts. Aggressive yet civilized. I want something that won't hinder my performance too much, slightly is fine but I don't want to lose more than 10rwhp. I would like something that sounds good when under high RPM, but sounds really deep and low, but quiet at idle. Something that sounds great when starting cold, but not too raspy to where it sounds like rice. I am thinking of letting a local exhaust shop do the setup, but I want to pick the tips and muffler that will achieve this sound.

Muffler:
    Magnaflow 80 series I current have, I don't think it will fit.
    Bullet style
    No muffler, SLP cats

My tip choices are:
    quad style corvette exhaust
    SS rectangular center exit dual
    3.5" Pipes Hotrod style straight out the back on either side

Which will look,perform, and sound the best? If you have a setup in mind that isn't listed, PLEASE SUGGEST ONE! I'm going to commence the exhaust replacement in about 2 weeks.
    not calling BS but i dont think you have an 80 series if you have true duals right now because the 80 series has only 1 inlet and is made for the stock set up. i have magnaflow and so does Mr. Luos, he has the same exhaust you are talking about doing except he has longtubes. he has the true dual going over the axle and his sounds f'n unreal. borla also sounds very nice(borat)

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    all i can say is every time i see the dancing banana it brings back imagines of Steve-O and Chris (what's his name) in the jungle running around in giant banana suits in front of pissed off gorillas, DOH. Those guys are freakin nuts.

good luck, i can't wait to see what every chimes in with as a good system.
    good ole' pontius!!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Its 80 series magnaflows according to the shop that installed them. It's also a muffler per pipe, two total muffs.

How did he get them over the axle? What size pipes?

Is it safe to go under the axle? What about clearance issues? Would I get less clearance issues with over, or under?
    Last edited by eautocad; 11-10-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i dunno what size he used but both pipes run over the right side of the axle, it is pretty darn sweet how he did it. also i know you dont have those mufflers because like i said 80 series is for an i-pipe, not duals and for sure magnaflow does not make anything that is rated in series, only flowmaster, and the flowmaster 80 series suck ass

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i dunno what size he used but both pipes run over the right side of the axle, it is pretty darn sweet how he did it. also i know you dont have those mufflers because like i said 80 series is for an i-pipe, not duals and for sure magnaflow does not make anything that is rated in series, only flowmaster, and the flowmaster 80 series suck ass
    sounds like a call needs to be made to the muffler shop to figure out wtf I have under there so i dont sound like a moron.. I looked up "80 series" and your right, only flowmaster. Maybe its a flowmaster? I asked him to install whatever muffler would quiet the car down the most... 80 series flowmaster makes sense.

I did find this which looks exactly like my muffs, except I can't see the magnaflow insignia on the top due to clearance issues. Its the one on the top of the page. Maybe the muffler guy meant comparable to 80 series flowmaster, but in a magnaflow muff. Who knows. The guy spoke rather unclear english, more of a southern draw with chewing tobacco kind of speak.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A2692A0A0.aspx

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

get a pic and post that baby up here

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I don't have time right now to take pictures, I will when its convenient (Aka I'm lazy)
    . It doesn't matter what I have on there now, that is going to be history. I'll post pics when I sell the muffs.

The real problem here is that I want to go over and out instead of dumped. What size pipes should I use? I've read through the dual exhaust sticky, but still I would like to know what the best setup is for my sound requirement. Low, deep, and quiet enough to get into golf resorts. That doesn't' mean it has breathe through a straw, or at least i hope.
    Last edited by eautocad; 11-13-2007 at 07:34 PM.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

I found something on another thread related to 4 Inch pipe instead of duals. What's your opinion on that? Thank you all for your answers and input, it really helps to have the forum pointers.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i have wondered the same thing. A big fat 4" pipe, Y, I, the whole shabang to the muffler and then like 2 3/4 tails or 3s.

The one thing I like most about stangs is the sound of the exhaust. I would love to get something in that range, but it seems like the LS1 has a unique sound just like the stangs.

Does any one know if a 4" system would fit?

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I'm pretty sure it would, the muff guy i asked about true duals over the axle said no, the only way he'll do it is 4" pipe.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

did he say if you had to relocate the panhard? Dude a 4" pipe is monsterous.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I dont recall anything about a panhard. What is a panhard?

My friend also suggests a 4" pipe to go out the back

But I've been doing some thinking and I think I'll just leave it dumped. With gas above $3, I dont drive it much anymore. Maybe once a week if that.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by eautocad View Post
    I dont recall anything about a panhard. What is a panhard?
    Its a rear suspension piece. The one in this pic is an aftermarket one. Its the straight silver bar running from the driver side wheel across to the other side.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

wow, not that is one nice rear end. Do you use the body by jake or thai-bo workout,

very nice, my bicycle isn't even that pretty. I think i can see myself in the rear diff cover. Oh just think of the possible bad puns i could have unleashed...oh the tragedy.

What suspension parts do you use, BMP, Spohn, UMI, Hotchkis, etc...

Junior Member LIVINGTHEDREAMLIFE's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

I run a 4" Mufflex exhaust. It fits just fine. No need to relocate the panhard rod.

Chris

Thread Information