Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

New build, still burns oil ?

I have over 7K miles on my new build ( see sig. below) and I am still burning 1 qt every 2K. I can not see any blue smoke when running however, on a down shift I was told that it smoked. IE; at WOT up to 5K RPM I let off and road it back down and I saw some smoke in the rear view.
    Hoping its not related to rings not setting in yet ( or never will), but rather something to do with the intake build up ?? Help me out as I am not sure of the physics of the oil in the intake. ( no catch can )

Patrick
    Lid, K&N, PPTB, PRC 2.5 heads, Comp Cam 228/.588 112 lsa w/ suporting mods, 96mmNW TB,102mmFast, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, Tune, 4:10's, Aurburn Posi, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter, Stano/ Koni , 18" C6 rims, 295/30 Kumho tires.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

How hard are you driving it? I would install a catch can (it needs one anyways) and see how much would have went into the intake but that seems like alot of oil to me.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

do you engine brake a lot or rev up pretty high (3k+)? there's a TSB from GM about the LS oil burning and it's "normal" to burn 1 quart every 3k i think it is ... but it also says if you engine brake a lot or run the RPMs 3k or more regularly, then it's "normal" to burn 1 quart every 500 miles.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yeah GM said that piston slap is "normal" too.

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Yeah GM said that piston slap is "normal" too.
    lol....

I burn no oil at all, so this seems not to be oh so normal
    2002 Z28 B4C aka "Anakin"

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    do you engine brake a lot or rev up pretty high (3k+)? there's a TSB from GM about the LS oil burning and it's "normal" to burn 1 quart every 3k i think it is ... but it also says if you engine brake a lot or run the RPMs 3k or more regularly, then it's "normal" to burn 1 quart every 500 miles.
    can you post the tsb? I could not find one on the net

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

I appreciate your input but I cant see how that much of a burn is normal. This is my everyday driver ... No, I do not down shift for braking regularly. Yes, it see's 3K+ Daily. I cant help myself ... I am WOT through 2nd & 3rd at least once a day. Its adicting !!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

TSB#: 01-06-01-011E
    "Gasoline Engine - Oil Consumption Guidelines"

1998-2009 GM Passenger Cars under 8500 LB GVW

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1qt) in 3200k (2000mi).
    Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assume the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner's Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.
    sheesh.
    Last edited by tep98ws6; 11-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

I see ... said the blind man.
    thanks

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

This does not apply to some Corvette Z06 equipped with the 7.0L LS7 (dry sump). Follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual for checking the oil in this application.
    Just throwing it out there

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by NitrOmm View Post
    I have over 7K miles on my new build ( see sig. below) and I am still burning 1 qt every 2K. I can not see any blue smoke when running however, on a down shift I was told that it smoked. IE; at WOT up to 5K RPM I let off and road it back down and I saw some smoke in the rear view.
    Hoping its not related to rings not setting in yet ( or never will), but rather something to do with the intake build up ?? Help me out as I am not sure of the physics of the oil in the intake. ( no catch can )

Patrick
    Critical question:

What kind of PCV system are you running? Stock or LS6??

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If it did it on the OEM mill, and it still does it now, and you are an M6, there is a good chance that it is driving style.

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

I stand corrected...lol, but I run the crap out of my car and burn no oil. Could it the type of oil used?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I use 10/40 -no problem

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

how were the piston rings gapped? I know a couple stories about engine builders gapping rings wrong and it causes a little blow by. It depends on the piston and ring used but there are times when the wrong formulas are used to determin the gap size and blow by causes high crank case pressure. My engine builder just did this on my build and called me to let me know he caught it before he put the motor together but had to order a new set of rings. we got a laugh out of it.

RED ultra Z hood 125 shot
    02 Z28 3200 stalled

i have had two oil changes so far from 19000 to 26000 and have not had any trouble in that department

Thread Information