white
    2002 B4C

need Y-pipe and get rid of cats

ok, I have those short headers bolted o my stock cats with stock y-pipe. Time for them to go! Anyone nknow where I can find a good, yet inexpensive replacement for cats and y-pipe. Is there a one-piece unit? Also need bung holes for front o2s on it, rear o2s would be preferred. Used would be fine. Got PayPal! Thanks!

hugger orange

I don't know what all you want to replace but pacesetter makes some pretty good long tube headers and Y-pipes for a really good price. If you want cats, summit racing sells magaflow hi-flow cats for $65 a peice. If you want to keep your shorty headers, you could buy the cats and a set of weld in bungs for your o2 sensors (i think the last time I bought bungs they were about $5 each at NAPA) take the bungs and cats to a shop and have them bend you up a custom mid pipe. On my 04 GTO I have pacesetter longtube headers ($450 shipped but for your car might be cheaper), 3" bullet mufflers ($18 each), to 3" flowmasters ($90 each) and custom bent 3" duals dumping out the side right infront of the rear tire, no cats and I love it!
    The only problem is with the hi-flow aftermarket cats, sometimes they still throw a low catylst code. get a tune and you can have you 2nd o2 system turned off and you only have to run cats if you need to pass a visual emissions inspection...

I have a set of cat hollow shells off of my goat, they will pass a visual inspection but like I said they are hollow. I'm not sure if they will fit your car or not but if they do and you want them I could check on the price to ship them to you....all they are doing is taking up space in the corner of my garage.

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go

white
    2002 B4C

Already gutted cats and tuned out rear o2s, guess I just need Y-pipe? Prefer the o2 bungs there to pass visual. Thanks!

hugger orange

you might want to check the summit on line catalog, if nothing else to just get an idea of prices...It does sound like you are just looking for the Y-pipe. I think a factory style Y-pipe should bolt right up to your setup. Feel lucky, there are ALOT of choices out there for you and you should beable to get them with or without the bungs

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I'm pretty sure Mac and Borla make an off road y that bolts up to the stock manifolds.

sebring silver
    02 Camaro SS

I have an 02' SS ragtop with LT Pacesetters and Y pipe going back to the stock exhaust. I'd like to take it 3" all the way back, but don't want excessive sound. Does anyone have the Magnaflow from the y pipe? I'd like to know 1) was the performance enhanced and 2) do your neighbors still like you. rw

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I don't know what all you want to replace but pacesetter makes some pretty good long tube headers and Y-pipes for a really good price. If you want cats, summit racing sells magaflow hi-flow cats for $65 a peice. If you want to keep your shorty headers, you could buy the cats and a set of weld in bungs for your o2 sensors (i think the last time I bought bungs they were about $5 each at NAPA) take the bungs and cats to a shop and have them bend you up a custom mid pipe. On my 04 GTO I have pacesetter longtube headers ($450 shipped but for your car might be cheaper), 3" bullet mufflers ($18 each), to 3" flowmasters ($90 each) and custom bent 3" duals dumping out the side right infront of the rear tire, no cats and I love it!
    The only problem is with the hi-flow aftermarket cats, sometimes they still throw a low catylst code. get a tune and you can have you 2nd o2 system turned off and you only have to run cats if you need to pass a visual emissions inspection...

I have a set of cat hollow shells off of my goat, they will pass a visual inspection but like I said they are hollow. I'm not sure if they will fit your car or not but if they do and you want them I could check on the price to ship them to you....all they are doing is taking up space in the corner of my garage.

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go
    Ok, I like the idea of going out in front of the rear tires. Do I need to get custom work done or is there a bolt-on from my stock cats, need mufflers, to exit same spot? Any links? Thanks.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Ok, I like the idea of going out in front of the rear tires. Do I need to get custom work done or is there a bolt-on from my stock cats, need mufflers, to exit same spot? Any links? Thanks.
    I had an exhaust shop right down from my house bend the pipe for me (3" pipe and bends for $74)
    I clamped flowmaster 44's (off set inlet and outlet)to the headers, cut a 3 foot piece of pipe to go from the flowmasters to a set of summit 3" bullet mufflers. after the bullet the pipe comes back about a foot then has a 90° bend and shoots out right at yhe back corner of the side skirt.
    my car has ground f/x so I won't be lowering it, if you plan on lowering your's you migh might need an extra bend or two to get it tighter to the floor. my guy only charges $2 a bend and $35 for a ten foot piece of 3" tube if that helps give you an idea of price breakdown. any exhaust shop with a bender shoul be able to do it for you, but won't mount it on your car (epa regulations won't let them install an exhaust without cats).....you save money by putting on yourself any way.

just shop around for the best price. good luck man!

hugger orange

by the way getting the car up on 4 jack stands, mounting the mufflers, triming the the pipe, test fitting, and welding everything up took me most of a saturday morning... it was worth it

white
    2002 B4C

by the way getting the car up on 4 jack stands, mounting the mufflers, triming the the pipe, test fitting, and welding everything up took me most of a saturday morning... it was worth it
    I have the stock cats(gutted) ON, and want to keep them. If I toss the y-pipe back , I was just wanting to bolt up to the end of OEM cat 3" pipe w/muffler on each side and out the front of rear tire. Not much. SHould be legal for them to do it as long as the cats are there? Or is ther a stumpy kit for this out there? Don't want to go underneath kit, that looked like really poor clearance. Thanks.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    I have the stock cats(gutted) ON, and want to keep them. If I toss the y-pipe back , I was just wanting to bolt up to the end of OEM cat 3" pipe w/muffler on each side and out the front of rear tire. Not much. SHould be legal for them to do it as long as the cats are there? Or is ther a stumpy kit for this out there? Don't want to go underneath kit, that looked like really poor clearance. Thanks.
    gutted or not it shouldn't matter, as long as you have the cat any shop should do the job for you with no problem. I'm not sure what size your cat outlet is but if anything you might just need an adapter to take you upto 3"

my gto is not lowered, at first I had the bullet mufflers clamped to the headers, the pipes came strait back to a 90° bend and out the side... thé pipe hung low and drug easily on everything. I put the offset in/out mufflers on at the headers to move the pipes inboard and up... no noise or dragging now and I am very happy with it....quiet at idle and when yoú get on it its loud as hell

since you won't be running headers you pipes might siy higher and not give you a problem. I was running this setup with 2 1/4 pipe before I gpt the headers and had no clearance problems..... just trying to save you from the same headache it gave me... if you do it let me know how you like it.
    I hope I helped

hugger orange

also fyi... my stock manifolds with gutted cats and strait pipe(no mufflers or resonaters) was a lot quieter than my longtubes, 3" pipe, mufflers and resonaters

white
    2002 B4C

also fyi... my stock manifolds with gutted cats and strait pipe(no mufflers or resonaters) was a lot quieter than my longtubes, 3" pipe, mufflers and resonaters
    That's an idea! No muffler! Straight pipes. That might be another option, thanks again. I appreciate info!

white
    2002 B4C

Went to exhaust shop and discussed options with car on lift. Almost got a cut-out, then considered Borla. Tried to figure dual exhaust out from front of rear wheels, but would be a MAJOR hassle. Driver side has no room and all fuel lines running too close to y-pipe, never mind trying to get any other pipe w/muffler in there without major surgery. So I had him remove slowmaster(actually it was a flowmaster knock off). He welded in one pipe in place of the muffler, so now it is Straight Piped! Lost the nice sound, and also lost one tail pipe, crippled like me . Under $40! BUT: more HP SOP, even down low. HELL YEAH! Works for me!!! Hope to dyno it again now. Some may not like the sound, or look of one pipe(it does look so wrong). It is actually pretty quiet till you romp on it. The one tail pipe and no badges(it's a B4C) make it look like a V-6. Ruined a lot of peoples day at the stop lights...Bwahahahahaha!!!! Thanks for the ideas! If I start to dislike it, atleast it was cost efficient.

hugger orange

glad to hear it worked out for you man! got to love it when you can save money by getting it done cheaper!

Thread Information