Thread: Need Opinions

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Need Opinions

today i got in my long tube headers and high flow cats. first question how much power will the high flow cats cost me? next i am trying to decide whether to go x pipe or have a y pipe with cutouts. either way i will be doing center exhaust. i know everyone has different tastes but what do yall suggest?

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

also how much difference do cutouts sound before a y pipe compared to after an x pipe

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    today i got in my long tube headers and high flow cats. first question how much power will the high flow cats cost me? next i am trying to decide whether to go x pipe or have a y pipe with cutouts. either way i will be doing center exhaust. i know everyone has different tastes but what do yall suggest?
    With High flows you won't lose much power i'd say 2-5 hp max if even that. I know with my highflows I didn't lose much at all. If you are going from a stock exhaust with stock cats (which I assume you are since you bought the headers and cats from me) on it you will not notice it at all. As far as deciding on whether to go with a y pipe with cutouts or x pipe, it depends on your taste. Also deciding on whether to do y vs x may depend on your budget. For the x-pipe are you looking for one that dumps or one that exits out of the rear of the car? If you want one that goes out of the rear it would be a lot cheaper to do a y pipe with cutouts or just an x pipe that dumps (but that might not be legal in some states unless it exits before the rear wheels). There is a few things you need to take into consideration. If you have more questions let me know.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    With High flows you won't lose much power i'd say 2-5 hp max if even that. I know with my highflows I didn't lose much at all. If you are going from a stock exhaust with stock cats (which I assume you are since you bought the headers and cats from me) on it you will not notice it at all. As far as deciding on whether to go with a y pipe with cutouts or x pipe, it depends on your taste. Also deciding on whether to do y vs x may depend on your budget. For the x-pipe are you looking for one that dumps or one that exits out of the rear of the car? If you want one that goes out of the rear it would be a lot cheaper to do a y pipe with cutouts or just an x pipe that dumps (but that might not be legal in some states unless it exits before the rear wheels). There is a few things you need to take into consideration. If you have more questions let me know.
    price is not an issue but i will be running the exhaust out the back into a CME i guess my main question is how much sound difference is there between a y and an x pipe?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    price is not an issue but i will be running the exhaust out the back into a CME i guess my main question is how much sound difference is there between a y and an x pipe?
    X is usually louder it depends on the mufflers you use. But if you want it to run out the back with an X I suggest getting the Bassani True dual system since a shop won't have to fab something for you plus it's stainless steel.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

the shop doing it owes me a big favor and will do anything i want for free haha. how much louder would an x pipe with 2 loudmouth 2's be over a y with 1 loudmouth 2

Black/ Silver

I don't think it would be obnoxiously loud, it will be pretty loud and definately louder than a y with 1 lm2 but I think that would sound nice.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

and with dual cutouts on the y could i get it obnoxiously loud when i wanted it to be?

Black

sorry to steal the thread but you guys a got a link of that bassani system that goes out the rear?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider02 View Post
    sorry to steal the thread but you guys a got a link of that bassani system that goes out the rear?
    There is one at LMPerformance.com

and with dual cutouts on the y could i get it obnoxiously loud when i wanted it to be?
    Yes

red
    99 camaro

Y-pipe= rasp, period. X-pipe= No rasp, period. Nuff said.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

has anyone ran a dual in dual out muffler with an x pipe?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

All you need is high flow cats from ebay (like $50) and the rasp is held under control. In my experience, LT's with no cats is the main cause of out of control rasp. Once I installed the hf cats, it changed everything. Hope this helps.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    All you need is high flow cats from ebay (like $50) and the rasp is held under control. In my experience, LT's with no cats is the main cause of out of control rasp. Once I installed the hf cats, it changed everything. Hope this helps.
    that helped alot thanks

Thread Information