Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Need Help regarding X pipe's

Hi, Say I have a 03 Z06 corvette and I am doing the exhaust and was
    planning on going with a 1 7/8" pair of headers chuck the cats and H pype and run her straight on to my B&B Bullets and then out the back
    Question: Why do I need an X pype I mean chevrolet did not put one on when they built the car Right ? They ran an H pype,
    I mean if you ran a & in your garden hose your not going to get more pressure, you'll get less so What am I missing here ?
    Are X pypes just a way to Boost manufactures Bottom line $$$$$$
    Or are they truely an essential part of today's modern exhaust systems.

As a side note: can someone tell me where to find info regarding Cat Simulators ?

Hey InAdvance, Thanks for all you guys help these past few month's
    LS1.Com is Top Tier In my Book

Bon

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
    Hi, Say I have a 03 Z06 corvette and I am doing the exhaust and was
    planning on going with a 1 7/8" pair of headers chuck the cats and H pype and run her straight on to my B&B Bullets and then out the back
    Question: Why do I need an X pype I mean chevrolet did not put one on when they built the car Right ? They ran an H pype,
    I mean if you ran a & in your garden hose your not going to get more pressure, you'll get less so What am I missing here ?
    Are X pypes just a way to Boost manufactures Bottom line $$$$$$
    Or are they truely an essential part of today's modern exhaust systems.

As a side note: can someone tell me where to find info regarding Cat Simulators ?

Hey InAdvance, Thanks for all you guys help these past few month's
    LS1.Com is Top Tier In my Book

Bon
    x-pipes give a smoother transition and help scavenge the exhaust gasses out of the engine. h-pipes are probably the worst design for high rpm power because they create a turbulance at the H that doesnt exist on a car with no merge at all or on cars with x-pipes and y-pipes.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Thanks for your response

I am seeking to Educate myself better before I buy a set of longtubes and mid pipe system

So far I'm leaning toward american racing 1 7/8 but I may still go with Lg motorsports 1 3/4" though I'd rather have the 1 7/8 which they do not make
    Bon

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

yup x pipe scavenges better and evens exhaust pressure. o2 sensors suck get the car tuned w/o the rear sensors.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

take a look at texas-speeds set up for your car
    http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=689&catid=45
    and get it tuned after so you dont need the 02 sim's they suck any way

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Thanks for your response

I am seeking to Educate myself better before I buy a set of longtubes and mid pipe system

So far I'm leaning toward american racing 1 7/8 but I may still go with Lg motorsports 1 3/4" though I'd rather have the 1 7/8 which they do not make
    Bon
    u only need 1 7/8" if u r gonna be doing heavy mods like race heads/cam. 1 3/4" is fine for boltons cars and mild stuff like ls6 heads/cam.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    u only need 1 7/8" if u r gonna be doing heavy mods like race heads/cam. 1 3/4" is fine for boltons cars and mild stuff like ls6 heads/cam.

Yeah I just got the car paid off last month
    So now I am beginning the mod process
    I plan on doing tf heads cam, headers, and going 11:1 compression my varaRam arrives on thursday, I put on a set of B&B Bullets on Sunday and now I'm researching headers,
    So far I like the American racing 1 7/8's off road set up but I need an air fitting for smog thus I may have to buy the catted versions which I'm not crazy about because I plan to run without cats and was considering passing up the whole X-pipe Snafu.
    future plans also include losing 200lbs off the chassis,
    I am Hoping to be in the 2900lb range

Hey Thanks for your response !
    All the Best and Leave the Rest
    So. Cal Bon

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    not try the 1 7/8 can help out a stock motor as well
    "The Camaro SS looks like it could kick your ass. The Trans Am WS6 looks like its on its way over to do it."

treat stressful situation like a dog. if you can't eat or hump it, then piss on it and walk away.

keep your foot in it,till you see god

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    ehhh to large of exhaust will hurt exhaust velocity and scavenging..you wouldn't see near the gains you would on a stock 346 as with 1 3/4s

98' trans am

Yeah I just got the car paid off last month
    So now I am beginning the mod process
    I plan on doing tf heads cam, headers, and going 11:1 compression my varaRam arrives on thursday, I put on a set of B&B Bullets on Sunday and now I'm researching headers,
    So far I like the American racing 1 7/8's off road set up but I need an air fitting for smog thus I may have to buy the catted versions which I'm not crazy about because I plan to run without cats and was considering passing up the whole X-pipe Snafu.
    future plans also include losing 200lbs off the chassis,
    I am Hoping to be in the 2900lb range

Hey Thanks for your response !
    All the Best and Leave the Rest
    So. Cal Bon
    i still think 1 7/8s are pushing it for a 346 with head and cam ..depending on your cam specs etc..if you are going FI or bigger cubes in the 400+ maybe even a 383 then bigger headers are a must.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

they are good on a ls car mabe not on a older motor like a gen 1 or 2 here is dyno
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...o-results.html

This is true. There have been several dyno's where the 1 7/8 headers improved accross the board on a stock LS1. Not just from individuals on a message board but also several magazine tests.
    These motors like the larger headers. Most go with 1 3/4 due to cost reasons, or just not knowing. But for best performance the 1 7/8 headers are the way to go.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I have 1 and 7/8 inch headers on my '06 GTO but I am planning a head and cam swap here soon. If there was a loss of power at lower RPM's, I never felt it. Not sure if I am going that route with my Trans Am, the Goat is sucking up all of the mod money!

Scott

98' trans am

they are good on a ls car mabe not on a older motor like a gen 1 or 2 here is dyno
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...o-results.html
    read the entire thread..the compared a brand new high quality designed 1 7/8s to the decade old pacesetters designed 1 3/4s on a fasted 346

and with only 5 rwhp and 3ft/lbs of gain i'll argue that with a newer designed high quality 1 3/4 header design..you will see no gain if not a higher output from the 1 3/4s. instead of the pacesetters ..do a QTP 1 3/4 and it would be a different story.
    pacesetters

qtp

so its not a fair comparison to test two headers on opposite spectrum

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NavyTATwo View Post
    I have 1 and 7/8 inch headers on my '06 GTO but I am planning a head and cam swap here soon. If there was a loss of power at lower RPM's, I never felt it. Not sure if I am going that route with my Trans Am, the Goat is sucking up all of the mod money!

Scott
    not saying you wouldn't gain anything ..but did you have 1 3/4s on before the 1 7/8s ?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is true. There have been several dyno's where the 1 7/8 headers improved accross the board on a stock LS1. Not just from individuals on a message board but also several magazine tests.
    These motors like the larger headers. Most go with 1 3/4 due to cost reasons, or just not knowing. But for best performance the 1 7/8 headers are the way to go.
    you've seen 1 7/8s outperform 1 3/4s on a stock motor in mags etc ? i have personally never seen any article regarding this so you could be right.

but i will have to respectively disagree with you on this subject since i have heard countless times not to go 1 7/8s for a stock to even a higher built 346 ..N/A that is....i take headers like i do with most everything ..two much of a good thing can be bad....over cam'n, over header'n, and getting caught up in number games.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you've seen 1 7/8s outperform 1 3/4s on a stock motor in mags etc ? i have personally never seen any article regarding this so you could be right.

but i will have to respectively disagree with you on this subject since i have heard countless times not to go 1 7/8s for a stock to even a higher built 346 ..N/A that is....i take headers like i do with most everything ..two much of a good thing can be bad....over cam'n, over header'n, and getting caught up in number games.
    Ya, magazines tested this stuff years ago. It's not a new concept.

Although I agree the 1 7/8 headers were considered too big on first and second gen small blocks for anything other than extremely serious stuff,,,,that's just not the case with the LS engines. They are a completely different animal with their 15 degree heads etc.....and it's been shown even with a stock cam, heads, they want the bigger headers. Once heavier modifications are made to the engine the 1 7/8 headers will continue to outshine the 1 3/4 at an even larger margin.

You have heard countless times to go for 1 3/4's because people are still of the old thought process and haven't seen or heard otherwise. These engines are still in there infancy and new to alot of people.

Not a big deal, but if you are going for every bit you can find, for even a bolt on car,,,,the 1 7/8's are the ticket.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-21-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    read the entire thread..the compared a brand new high quality designed 1 7/8s to the decade old pacesetters designed 1 3/4s on a fasted 346

and with only 5 rwhp and 3ft/lbs of gain i'll argue that with a newer designed high quality 1 3/4 header design..you will see no gain if not a higher output from the 1 3/4s. instead of the pacesetters ..do a QTP 1 3/4 and it would be a different story.
    pacesetters
    Click for full size

qtp
    Click for full size

so its not a fair comparison to test two headers on opposite spectrum
    I'd say it's about as fair as you are going to get considering the 1 7/8 headers are only made by a couple of manufactures. Even using a newer brand 1 3/4 header of different quality,,,you are still talking 1 3/4 tube size. With everything else being equal to make the comparison as fair as possible and satisfy the naysayers,,,,the 1 7/8 header is still going to shine.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

All Very Good Response's

All have some Valid points

I am seriously considering 1 7/8" for the simple fact that I won't have to re-buy headers should I decide to drop in a larger displacement motor,

At the same time I've read that the LS series Motors like a little back pressure,

Though I have no personal experience to back that up.

Say does anyone know if american racing's headers are stepped or flaired ?
    or are they 1 7/8 all the way through

Thanks !
    Bon en So. Cal

I am going to read this article http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...xh/index1.html

That someone posted earlier

Thread Information