Black
    02 WS6 TA

Question Need Exhaust Advise

Ok, first I am a maintenance mechanic, I work on machines all day so I am machincally inclined. What exhaust kits are out there,that I can just drop the stock factory crap and install the new kit without mods. I dont have to worry about emissions where I live so converters I can and will do without. And are there header kits out there that bolt up fairly easy. I do have a welder, so that wont be an issue either.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Cat Back

Any cat back kit will bolt or weld right in. Borla, Magnaflo, GMMG, stainless works, mostly depends on the sound you want. I prefer welding over those cheap clamps.
    As for the headers I'm not sure how hard they are to install without a lift. I had mine down since I paint cars and can't tie up room at my shop fooling around with my exhaust. I would have lost more than what I paid to have it all installed.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If you buy headers most either come with a Y pipe that will bolt up to the factory cat-back location or they offer one. There are many companies out there that offer exhaust systems, it just depends on what type of sound you like. Loud and raspy, soft and mellow, or anything in between.

Black
    02 WS6 TA

I want it to turn heads, I hear some of these guys TA's and Z28's that sound damn good when they get on it or just puttin around town. Dont want it mellow and quiet thats for sure, I used to have an 86 TA, and I had flowmasters and hooker headers, I did myself, but there was a hell of alot more room to work with and alot less computer crap to deal with too.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

you want a cutout

Black
    1998 Trans Am

GMMG and SLP Loudmouths will definitly get you noticed. You should try to hear both in person though before droppping money on one. Youtube doesnt do either justice. The SLP's are a love em of hate em kinda thing, especially since you want to do headers. Many people on here will tell you that its the worst sound in the world, but its all up to the owner of the car. I personally love the sound of SLP exhaust, it's aggresive and will get you noticed(although sometimes not by the right people)

Black
    99 WS6

there are TONS of LS1's on youtube...watch some videos and see what you like

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    there are TONS of LS1's on youtube...watch some videos and see what you like
    Yea, but very few of them have good sound quality. Theres alot that just sound garbled.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I agree that you should listen to them in person but if you can't check out http://www.ls1sounds.com. The site has a lot of different combinations - all indexed and easy to find.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

X-pipe with bullets and turn downs loud and sounds awesome

headers with GMMG or true duals IMO

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

If money is not an option, go for LT's and dual electric cutouts on Y-pipe. That would sound awesome, especially without cats. I have just a single cutout on my Flowmaster catback with stock manifolds and cats and that still sounds realley good and loud for the cheapest price. Loud to quiet in 5 seconds.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

Texas speed has a setup for headers and an x pipe for a pretty good price, Thats what Im looking into in the near future. SLP has 2 sets of headers now, the older ones (look like a bundle of snakes) have rubbing issues on the ground some ppl reported but their newer ones seem to look like some other brands just over priced. Best bang for your buck on the headers is some pacesetters.

There is also some headers on ebay for under or around 200 too. Hope that helps.

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

Quote Originally Posted by clow76 View Post
    I want it to turn heads, I hear some of these guys TA's and Z28's that sound damn good when they get on it or just puttin around town. Dont want it mellow and quiet thats for sure, I used to have an 86 TA, and I had flowmasters and hooker headers, I did myself, but there was a hell of alot more room to work with and alot less computer crap to deal with too.
    you wont regret paying double for kooks dude

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

You can go to my cardomain at the bottom link and listen to how mine sounds, i honestly didnt do it for sound but when i just had the hooker catback on the car with the exhuast cut out open it sounded deep and just fun to drive. When i gutted the cats it got raspy but that was to be expected. I have a few vids up that will give you an idea and once i put on my LT's ill do some more vids of how it sounds.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

silver
    2000 z28 camaro

truely it matters. like i have a corsa exhaust with a y pipe and SLP headers and it sounds a lot better than a straight duals. if u dont mind spending the money. then i would recomend this. it just depends on if u want to have a loud or quiet idol and do u want it to scream off the line when u open it?

Thread Information