Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question Is it necessary to change the PS motor mount for LT headers?

Ok so here is the deal. I know I need to change the DS motor mount to prevent the y-pipe from banging to floor board. I am still waiting for the LT headers to come and I was going to swap the PS motor mount today to cut down on time for the header install.

Well after jacking the car up and doing some research, it seems this will be a PITA to change. The driver side has a lot of clearance and the Alt is not hard to remove. I don't have an engine hoist and the Chilton manual said not to use a floor jack on the oil pan. I don't see removing the MM as the problem, but realligning everything without an engine hoist seems virtually impossible with hardly having any room to work. So would it be ok just to change the DS mount when installing the LT headers or should I just bite the bullet and swap the PS out, as well. Also should I just wait to do the Header install for better clearance? I just don't want to mess with the AC unit. Some remove the whole pedestal is that very difficult, again with no engine hoist? Thanks guys always appreciate the input.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

You should definitly do both sides. just bite the bullet and do them when you do your headers. Its really not that bad once your headers are out of the way.

You absolutely can jack the engine up using the oil pan. You should use a small block of wood between the pan and jack though.

You do not have to discharge the AC system. You just need to remove the bolts holding the compressor to the bracket, but don't touch the lines. Swing the compressor out of the way for motor mount bolt access.

Finally, aligning the mounts to the through bolts is going to be a PITA, no matter what. I fought with them even with engine and K-member out of the car.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

ok so I have 3 of the 4 bolts back in.. I am not sure if the top right bolt hole is stripped or what because i can't get the bolt started with my finger. I don't know if it the threads are slightly bent or what. I tried getting the bolt in several times with an extension and still no luck. It seems that everything is lined up properly. Any ideas on how to get the bolt started? It doesn't make sense because the other 3 went in find so the 4th hole should line up. It turns but it is not going in. Thanks

Thread Information