Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Question Is it necessary to change the PS motor mount for LT headers?

Ok so here is the deal. I know I need to change the DS motor mount to prevent the y-pipe from banging to floor board. I am still waiting for the LT headers to come and I was going to swap the PS motor mount today to cut down on time for the header install.

Well after jacking the car up and doing some research, it seems this will be a PITA to change. The driver side has a lot of clearance and the Alt is not hard to remove. I don't have an engine hoist and the Chilton manual said not to use a floor jack on the oil pan. I don't see removing the MM as the problem, but realligning everything without an engine hoist seems virtually impossible with hardly having any room to work. So would it be ok just to change the DS mount when installing the LT headers or should I just bite the bullet and swap the PS out, as well. Also should I just wait to do the Header install for better clearance? I just don't want to mess with the AC unit. Some remove the whole pedestal is that very difficult, again with no engine hoist? Thanks guys always appreciate the input.

silver
    2000 formula

unbolt the mount bolts to the engine...the pedestal bolts to the K.....remove as 1 piece......i jacked up on the oil pan with a block of wood only as high as i needed......easy as pie this way......1 side at a time

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Is taking the starter out enough to reach all 4 bolts on the K member and 4 bolts on the engine mount? Or do you have to move the AC out of the way. It seems I can access some from the top of the exhaust manifold is out of the way, which it will be when the LT come in.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Ok so I pulled the starter, removed both the pedestal and MM as one piece. I put it back together and now I am trying to reinstall the pedestal and MM as one piece rather than trying to line up the single 18mm bolt. I got one of the bolts in no problem and the 2 on the right side seems to line up, but of course no room to reach them without a swivel. I tried using a pry bar and going up and down with the jack isn't working. Any ideas on how to get the bolt holes to line up? Do I need to just move the compressor out of the way for more clearance? Thanks

silver
    2000 formula

i used a wrench......hard to get a rachet in there

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Ok so I pulled the starter, removed both the pedestal and MM as one piece. I put it back together and now I am trying to reinstall the pedestal and MM as one piece rather than trying to line up the single 18mm bolt. I got one of the bolts in no problem and the 2 on the right side seems to line up, but of course no room to reach them without a swivel. I tried using a pry bar and going up and down with the jack isn't working. Any ideas on how to get the bolt holes to line up? Do I need to just move the compressor out of the way for more clearance? Thanks
    I feel your pain there. I did mine just as your describing by removing and replacing them in one piece. You dont need to remove the comp to get to them, or atleast I didnt. BTW Im assuming you already have the stock mani's out of the way. I guarantee that when your done you will be glad you did the motor mounts at the same time as the headers. Good luck...

red
    99 camaro

If your drivers side mount is worn you might have to loosen the pedestal up over there to get the slack you need for the bolts on the pass side. I changed mine to poly mounts and left the drivers side pedestal loose for this reason till the pass was started, worked good for me but it was still not fun.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    I feel your pain there. I did mine just as your describing by removing and replacing them in one piece. You dont need to remove the comp to get to them, or atleast I didnt. BTW Im assuming you already have the stock mani's out of the way. I guarantee that when your done you will be glad you did the motor mounts at the same time as the headers. Good luck...
    Actually I don't have the manifolds out yet because I am still waiting for the part and had issues with the one's they sent me. I decided to do the PS MM because I hear it does not need to be out of the way for the header install. THe driver side I am waiting until the headers come in and do it all at once. I have 3 of the 4 bolts in and am having difficulty with the top right bolt even though the hole looks lined up. I don't know if it got nicked or something causing it not to go in. I can't even get it started with my fingers. I may try loosening the DS pedestal like you recommended. Any ideas if I absolutely cannot get it back it... I tried for a while last night so hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck. Thanks

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sounds like everything slid just a little bit. Loosen the pass side back up, and use a small screwdriver to line up the driver side, and start those first.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Sounds like everything slid just a little bit. Loosen the pass side back up, and use a small screwdriver to line up the driver side, and start those first.
    Agreed, in addition, after you loosen the drivers side bolts jack up the motor till press relieves the mounts and turn the jack handle to the pass side to pull the engine that way some. try to swap out a bolt you know will thread in another hole for the one your having issues with just to be sure its not the bolt or the hole thats the problem. You might have some trash in the hole keeping the bolt from starting or the bolt threads might be damaged...

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Thanks guys! Finally got it in without having to remove the AC unit. All I did was tighten the 3 bolts all the way then add another extension so I can put more pressure on the bolt head and the bolt threaded in.. Thanksfully it was not a stripped bolt hole because no telling how that gets fixed with the the clearance issues of getting to the hole. I didn't have to mess the with driverside and will tackle that side when pulling the exhaust manifolds to do the header install. Is the driver side easier? I have a better idea of how this works now so hopefully it will be smoother. Thanks for all the input... don't know what I would do without this board in situations like this.

black
    1999 camaro SS

after installing poly mounts the hard way on my LT1 TA like you guys, I made sure I did it the easy way this time. If you change out your k member it's a great time to do things like clean the motor and CHANGE YOUR MM lol

Thread Information