Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

my setup and where i put my cutout..

okay i just installed pacesetter LT headers and a single cutout on the passanger side ypipe right before it goes to the I pipe. is it okay where i put it and just one? i remember seeing ppl putting a single cutout on the end of the ypipe before going to I. then i have a the new hooker catback system with dual tips. i dont have pics yet. but just curious what you guys thought and if it is okay where i put the cutout. love the sound with the cutout open

pics soon as i can

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a cutout...the main purpose is to let the exhaust out before it gets to the muffler where some of the power is robbed by by the muffler, so having a cutout on only one part of the Y-Pipe is still allowing some of the exhaust to get to the muffler.

The noise is just a bonus

black
    99 Z28

yea i think the cutout needs to be on both sides of the y pipe for it to be of its correct use, or you can put it somewhere in the I pipe... thats how im going to do mine

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Sounded like he put it at the right spot, at the end of the Y-pipe, under the passenger seat. So the exhaust flow is headers, Y-pipe, cutout, then catback. The cutout is under the passenger seat.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Sounded like he put it at the right spot, at the end of the Y-pipe, under the passenger seat. So the exhaust flow is headers, Y-pipe, cutout, then catback. The cutout is under the passenger seat.
    That's not how I read it...I think we need pictures to be sure.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

he's saying he put it at the end of the y pipe where the pipes join.. so yea, it sounds right
    I think, at least..

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

yes its joins the I pipe its right at the end of the y pipe going right into the I pipe then muffler. just did it on passenger side. so i was thinking i did it right. ill get pics tommorrow when its daylight out. so you guys can see.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

took these pics at night sorry for not having good pics im going to take better pics today. hope the pics work first time posting pics.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

what do you guys think? is that okay where i put it? going right into the I pipe. do i need a tune? it seems different driving it now. i love the sound but do you guys notice a change in power afterwards without a tune? just curious. i got on it yesterday with my cutout open. its loud! i love it. i have 150shot also but havent used it yet. waiting on getting a tune. thats going to be nice. also have 3.73's. cant wait to go to the drags.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i definatly would not have put it there......if this is the case then you need to put another cut out on yout driver side header,,,,,,its just that its not equaled out......you either need a cut out right after each header,...not on just one like you have it,...or at the end of your I pipe right before your muffler....the other thing is that you will generate alot of heat having cut outs right after your LT's....which isnt a problem if you dont mind

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i dont mind the heat that comes from it. i have it at the end of the ypipe going into the I pipe. i was thinking of getting another one on the other side. but ive seen another trans am like mine with a single cutout. am i losing power doing it right where the y connects to the Ipipe like i did on the passenger side.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I would have put it where the two pipes meet, where the two pipes turn into one 2.75 - 3" pipe. I'm sure its nice and loud, but your only catching one header now, and the other one still flows through to the muffler

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

so you think im losing power i figured it wouldnt lose power id gain a little if anything. i still can do one right where the other one is but i thought 2 would over do it. this is my first time installing one. i should of done where ends and goes into the 3inch I to catch both. kinda upset i messed up. i just hope im not losing power. hope i gained a little if anything. guys think ive gained any or losed hp?
    Last edited by krug07; 09-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by krug07 View Post
    so you think im losing power i figured it wouldnt lose power id gain a little if anything. i still can do one right where the other one is but i thought 2 would over do it. this is my first time installing one. i should of done where ends and goes into the 3inch I to catch both. kinda upset i messed up. i just hope im not losing power. hope i gained a little if anything. guys think ive gained any or losed hp?
    not losing power at all... but you're not getting the full benifit if you put a single one on the Y...

put two of them right behind the cats... you will still (for the most part) pass visual since they are behind the cat provided they are closed...

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i dont have cats. sense i live in oklahoma so im good on that so ill buy another one and put it drivers side right by the other cutout. does that sound good idea?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

the problem with open headers and cut outs is the scavenging effect.....see your timing and air fuel raitios are set to work a certain way....then you run open exhaust and the air is able to flow even more freely (Bottom line is that from the factory our cars are not built to run on open exhaust headers, timing isnt set up for that)......you lose back pressure which allows non combusted air with fuel to be scavenged out of the exhaust valves and out your car, so on the next combustion cycle there is less fresh air and fuel in the cylinder so you get less power..........this is possible.......but here is what most people dont understand.....if you build your engine to run on open headers or exhaust then you will not experience any power loss, you WILL have more power. But you must build you valve train / cam shaft, etc to work inorder that you do not have a negative effect on running open headers.........a perfect example of this is NASCAR and F1

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

soon ill be getting a cam. i think im looking at the ms3 cam. after that im going to go get it tuned for my setup. which includes nitrous also. so with the tune. is this going in the right way?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well are you running the cut out constantly?? if so......that something that you and your tuner will have to figure out(the best timing and heads set up etc.) but in short yes if you are going to run open constantly then you need to adjust your air/fuel, and cam/heads...so you are gonna have to change physical parts and tune ( plan to be on a dyno a fair amount or find someone used to setting up open systems......if you are using the cut out every once in a while , you shoul dbe ok....just know that you may lose some power with it when your trim and timing are set as you were running exhaust with back pressure..

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

i dont know if i really want two i think it will be a little to much i just want one. wish mine was placed different. but i guess ill use what i have and get the cam im wanting and a 9inch with 3.89's. im not sure if im going to keep it open all the time. with the cam prolly be to loud to be running on the street sense its my DD. my setup i wanting is nitrous 3.89's ms3 cam the exhaust i have and suspension mods ect.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

This is a bad spot for a cutout. You are almost running one open header!

The pass. side header is utilizing the dump, but the driverside header is wants to change direction and go to the least path or resistance but then you still have a small amount of pressure that is traveling through the system from the pass. headers (I-pipe and out the back)

Either put on another cutout on the driverside or cut it off and put it on the I-pipe.

Thread Information