Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

my dex cool is 3 years old however only 15K miles?

car is 99 Trans am WS6

my dex cool is 3 years old however I only have 15K miles on this gallon of dex cool?

should I just go ahead and flush and add a new gallon of Dex cool?

also what are you guy's using to flush the rad.? I read that the alunimin rad is delicate.

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 05-12-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Go ahead and flush it for piece of mind.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

what are you guy's using to flush the rad.? I read that the alunimin rad is delicate.

I have been just kindof rinseing w/ regular water like filling w/ water after draining then run for about 10 minutes then drain then repeat.

Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

that's what I do.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    what are you guy's using to flush the rad.? I read that the alunimin rad is delicate.

I have been just kindof rinseing w/ regular water like filling w/ water after draining then run for about 10 minutes then drain then repeat.

Thanks
    well to really get rid of all the old fluid you need to take out the engine block drains. There is one behind the alternator against the block. Is a big allen socket ( i think is 19mm). The other one is on top of the starter. You can see it between the starter and the block. for that one you need a 6 inch long 5/16 allen socket. Remove the Tstat from its housing and reinstall the housing back. Turn your a/c all the way to hot so the coolant inside the heater core flushes out too. once you drain all the fluid put the plugs back and close the radiator drain. fill with water and run the engine for a few minutes. turn it off and drain everything again. Repeat until the water comes clear. when done put some teflon paste on the block plug treads and reinstall the tstat. Fill the car with new coolant 50/50 mix. Run the car withou the radiator cap and keep an eye for the fliud to go down when the tstat opens. add fluid as needed and keep checking the fliud level for a few days. Remove the coolant reservoir tank(underneath the battery) and rinse it out. Refill the reservoir to proper level.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

well said^

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    that's what I do.
    do you ever go boating and fishing in the Mobil bay?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    well to really get rid of all the old fluid you need to take out the engine block drains. There is one behind the alternator against the block. Is a big allen socket ( i think is 19mm). The other one is on top of the starter. You can see it between the starter and the block. for that one you need a 6 inch long 5/16 allen socket. Remove the Tstat from its housing and reinstall the housing back. Turn your a/c II usalley turn on the heater are you sure the AC should be on? all the way to hot so the coolant inside the heater core flushes out too. once you drain all the fluid put the plugs back and close the radiator drain. fill with water and run the engine for a few minutes. turn it off and drain everything again. Repeat until the water comes clear. when done put some teflon paste on the block plug treads and reinstall the tstat. Fill the car with new coolant 50/50 mix.I usalley pour the whole gallon in then fill w/ water which is actualley stronger than 50/50 right? Run the car withou the radiator cap and keep an eye for the fliud to go down when the tstat opens. add fluid as needed and keep checking the fliud level for a few days. Remove the coolant reservoir tank(underneath the battery) and rinse it outisn't there a drain tube under the reservoir tank . Refill the reservoir to proper level.refill reservoir tank w/ water
    Thanks for a sharing the correct proceedure. my response in bold.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

do you ever go boating and fishing in the Mobil bay?

Thanks for a sharing the correct proceedure. my response in bold.
    I usalley turn on the heater are you sure the AC should be on? No it doesn't has to, as long as the heater is working.

I usalley pour the whole gallon in then fill w/ water which is actualley stronger than 50/50 right? well it depends. I believe the last time i did it I used a whole gallon of dexcool and 2 gallons of water. that's 2 gallons of 50/50 right there. I still needed alittle bit more. I think if you are not in the cold weather it should be fine if you add alittle bit more water than dexcool.

isn't there a drain tube under the reservoir tank. no there isn't.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-13-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I usalley turn on the heater are you sure the AC should be on? No it doesn't has to, as long as the heater is working.

I usalley pour the whole gallon in then fill w/ water which is actualley stronger than 50/50 right? well it depends. I believe the last time i did it I used a whole gallon of dexcool and 2 gallons of water. that's 2 gallons of 50/50 right there. I believe you have dilluted the dex cool to 33.3% dex cool and 66.6% water I still needed alittle bit more. I think if you are not in the cold weather it should be fine if you add alittle bit more water than dexcool.

isn't there a drain tube under the reservoir tank. no there isn't.
    I've never removed the reservoir tank do have a step by step proceedure for that?

Thanks

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I've never removed the reservoir tank do have a step by step proceedure for that?

Thanks
    Sure. Remove your battery. the reservoir is pretty much the base where the battery sits on. disconnect the small hose on the passenger side of the radiator neck. you will see 2 bolts(it might be 3 cant remember) on top of the reservoir. Remove the 2 bolts. lift the reservoir by the neck and its out.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Sure. Remove your battery. the reservoir is pretty much the base where the battery sits on. disconnect the small hose on the passenger side of the radiator neck. you will see 2 bolts(it might be 3 cant remember) on top of the reservoir. Remove the 2 bolts. lift the reservoir by the neck and its out.
    OK think I remove and clean the reservoir tank.

do you occasionally check the dip stick on the reservoir for fuild level?

Have you even sean this dex cool turn into mud? I've read that dex cool can create problems?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

OK think I remove and clean the reservoir tank.

do you occasionally check the dip stick on the reservoir for fuild level?

Have you even sean this dex cool turn into mud? I've read that dex cool can create problems?
    yes is a good idea to check the reservoir level once a while. I have seen antifreeze as bad as mud. I think any antifreeze can get to that point if is not flush in a a long time. Sometimes that could mean it got contaminated.

I read alot about dexcool and posted questions on this site. I read that was a problem with dexcool back in the day. As long as you flush your system in time I think you will be trouble free.

Is yours that bad?

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

ride around w/ water and get a good rinse

I'm thinking about just draining the old Dex cool filling up rad w/ water an ride around w/ water a few days and get a good rinse.

is this a good plan or just a waste of time?

I will also do the flush routine.

PS my dex cool appears like new nice and clean. the dip stick in resorvior seamed a little dusty and flithy.
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 05-17-2011 at 05:13 AM.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I just drain the radiator every season and refill with new 50/50 dexcool, that way I'm mixing it with the engine and it will never be that old. The reservoir however will just sit in there and rot if not changed/rinsed. No air in the system either

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'm thinking about just draining the old Dex cool filling up rad w/ water an ride around w/ water a few days and get a good rinse.

PS my dex cool appears like new nice and clean. the dip stick in resorvior seamed a little dusty and flithy.
    If you follow Jay's advice to the proper flush, this removes the need to drive it around, IMO.

I wouldn't let coolant sit in a car for too long, is this your DD?

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I just drain the radiator every season and refill with new 50/50 dexcool, that way I'm mixing it with the engine and it will never be that old. The reservoir however will just sit in there and rot if not changed/rinsed. No air in the system either
    I follow the same Todd. I change it every year whether I'm using the 5 year stuff or not, or regardless of mileage.
    I simply drain the radiator and block then refill 50/50. I also like to change the thermostat every other time.

I'll only do a flush if I see a problem or buy a car that hasn't had a change in a while. As long as you change it annually, my cooling systems stay looking brand new inside.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I follow the same Todd. I change it every year whether I'm using the 5 year stuff or not, or regardless of mileage.
    I simply drain the radiator and block then refill 50/50. I also like to change the thermostat every other time.

I'll only do a flush if I see a problem or buy a car that hasn't had a change in a while. As long as you change it annually, my cooling systems stay looking brand new inside.
    Since my car sits alot, I flush it every year as well. The DD gets it every other year though b/c the coolant circulates alot more.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well that is better than nothing. IMO if you are doing a flush to get rid of the old product then you need to remove the old one completely. Do what you are comfortable with. If you are only doing the radiator, drain it, fill it up but dont run it around with water I don't think it will do anything because you still will have old product in the system.

If you can do the Tstat do that as well. This is not too hard to do. I will do the reservoir tank.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Just had a thought, if your going to be tearing everything apart, I would consider flushing the heater core as well. If your unhappy with heat temp.

Did this to the jeep, using some hose connections and it improved the heat slightly. I was quite amazed what came out that didn't with the usual flush.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Just had a thought, if your going to be tearing everything apart, I would consider flushing the heater core as well. If your unhappy with heat temp.

Did this to the jeep, using some hose connections and it improved the heat slightly. I was quite amazed what came out that didn't with the usual flush.
    good advise

Thread Information