Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

Muffler swap only question

I have a stock 2002 ss camaro vert m6. I'd like to swap out the muffler only to try and get a little more growl out of her. Anybody have any suggestions? What muffler only would be the loudest or sound nice.

2002 Camaro Z28

I had a muffler shop weld in a magnaflow muffler in place of my original muffler. He also put on 2 1/2" tailpipes with 3" tips, I think the original tailpipes are smaller but don't quote me on that. Sounds awesome, not to loud at cruise but has a nice growl when you want it to. They are pretty much a straight though muffler so no restriction. I did the same thing on my 09 silverado and get compliments on the sound all the time. I'm pretty much set on magnaflow now.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

thanks for the reply...how much louder over stock is it? Is it noticable at low rpm and idle? Again...thanks for the reply.

2002 Camaro Z28

Its definitely louder than stock. Has a low rumble at idle that is also louder than stock but only noticeable outside the car. Like I said, at cruising speed it is louder but not so loud in the car that you can't stand it. At first my wife said she didn't even notice a change when riding in the car but on the outside it sounds much better. I stood behind it and had her take off so I could listen to the difference and was very satisfied. You won't be dissapointed with magnaflow. I had the muffler shop get the muffler for some reason, it was much cheaper on ebay.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

sounds awesome! you did exactly what I was thinking and I'm happy to hear you and your wife like it. My wife hates loud cars and gave me the look when I told her what I wanted to do. I'm glad to hear your wife barely noticed. What did it cost you at the shop if you don't mind?

2002 Camaro Z28

I think it was around $500 or so. That was at a little exhaust shop in omaha, ne. The muffler was around $200 and the stainless tips were $100, plus $50 for the tailpipes and then labor. I would check ebay for the magnaflow muffler for these cars cause I saw them for around $100 after I did mine. If you keep your stock tailpipes it would be cheaper also, I didn't want my rusty rectangular tips anymore so I opted for some stainless ones. If you have any more questions, just ask.
    Andy

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardZ View Post
    I think it was around $500 or so. That was at a little exhaust shop in omaha, ne. The muffler was around $200 and the stainless tips were $100, plus $50 for the tailpipes and then labor. I would check ebay for the magnaflow muffler for these cars cause I saw them for around $100 after I did mine. If you keep your stock tailpipes it would be cheaper also, I didn't want my rusty rectangular tips anymore so I opted for some stainless ones. If you have any more questions, just ask.
    Andy
    for $500 you can just buy the magnaflow catback system....actually its only $476 at summit.

2002 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I don't remember what my reasoning was at that time. I think I wanted it welded up instead and didn't plan on doing any more upgrades. But now that I am putting on headers I will probably have a shop put in a 3" intermediate pipe to match the ORY. You live and learn I guess.
    In Bigjohn's case though, he could get a better deal on the muffler and keep his stock tips for around $300 which is decent if you want better sound.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

the new system comes with new tips and it comes with a 3" intermediate pipe. i guess i just dont see why you would hassle with just putting a muffler in when you can get the entire system for so cheap. only way its worth it is if you can weld it in yourself.
    Last edited by mpfranks; 02-08-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

I'll check ebay today...any particular model # I should be looking for? My car only has 19k so the exhaust is in premo shape...probably keep the rest stock. It has some nice looking round tips allready.

I dont want the entire cat back because my next mod is going to be the aftermarket CME and valance. Why pay for this stuff twice? Anyone here interested in doing the CME conversion?

Thread Information