Impulse Blue
    2006 GTO

Msd Coils, Msd Cables, And Plugs Worth It?

What difference would I see and is it worth the almost $1000 for the upgrades? My mods are...

CAI, Kooks LT's, Kooks ORY, SLP loudmouthII Exhaust, Tune....

Black
    2005 GTO

If you have a grand laying around for that just give me your money. Seriously I would't waste a grand on that. There are way better mods for the money.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Screw that, CAM IT!!!!

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

You would see very little if any gains. The stocks coils are good for tons of power. Just use MSD wires, NGK plugs and get a cam kit.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Where are you coming up with your prices?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-L...toreQQtcZphoto
    $609 +
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-S...QQcmdZViewItem
    $55+
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-N...QQcmdZViewItem
    $42 = $706

The main advantage by putting the MSD coils besides getting the multiple spark is there is an extra plug on the coils you install a plug and play feature.
    http://msdignition.com/2007/podcasts...%20Twister.mp3
    There is another hand held controller that plugs into the coils also that has not been released to the public that is coming soon.
    Basicly it will give you total control of the ignition bypassing timely reflashes of the ECU.
    It all depends on what your purposes are. If you plane on adding mass amounts of cylinder pressure such as big bottle or boost than it is a wise investment. You blow out the spark for a cycle or two and than it comes back and fires you'll have big issues!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impulse Blue
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Where are you coming up with your prices?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-L...toreQQtcZphoto
    $609 +
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSD-S...QQcmdZViewItem
    $55+
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-N...QQcmdZViewItem
    $42 = $706

The main advantage by putting the MSD coils besides getting the multiple spark is there is an extra plug on the coils you install a plug and play feature.
    http://msdignition.com/2007/podcasts...%20Twister.mp3
    There is another hand held controller that plugs into the coils also that has not been released to the public that is coming soon.
    Basicly it will give you total control of the ignition bypassing timely reflashes of the ECU.
    It all depends on what your purposes are. If you plane on adding mass amounts of cylinder pressure such as big bottle or boost than it is a wise investment. You blow out the spark for a cycle or two and than it comes back and fires you'll have big issues!

I got my prices from web stores, not exactly a $1000, a couple hundered off but I just said that, it is close. E-bay is cheaper but I really dont like buying from E-bay, a real hassel if anything goes wrong with the purchase. I do plan on nitrous, but most likey not till the warrenty is up. But nothing more than 125shot. Is that what you consider a "big bottle"?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by tyxpx View Post
    I got my prices from web stores, not exactly a $1000, a couple hundered off but I just said that, it is close. E-bay is cheaper but I really dont like buying from E-bay, a real hassel if anything goes wrong with the purchase. I do plan on nitrous, but most likey not till the warrenty is up. But nothing more than 125shot. Is that what you consider a "big bottle"?
    Sorry $294 to me is over a 100lbs of nitrous which is a hell of alot of people looking at tail lights. And the Ebay deal sorry but people that are power sellers with 600 or 1100 feedbacks and 100% I think you have NOTHING to worry about.
    Big bottle would be 175 and higher. 125 is what I put on V-6 cars.....
    So are you going to put that 36,000 miles on that thing quickly.....Or you are going to wait 3 years to put a kit on that thing...?

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Just get the wires, plugs and a Nawz kit with all the safety stuff. You'll get more power. As far as the timing twister it sounds neat, but unless you are going to take it to a Dyno and have some one set it up for you you could really mess things up. Without logging software and a wideband messing with the timing blindly is asking for trouble. So at that point you might as well just get a dyno tune for the nitrous and be done with it. My .02

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Just get the wires, plugs and a Nawz kit with all the safety stuff. You'll get more power. As far as the timing twister it sounds neat, but unless you are going to take it to a Dyno and have some one set it up for you you could really mess things up. Without logging software and a wideband messing with the timing blindly is asking for trouble. So at that point you might as well just get a dyno tune for the nitrous and be done with it. My .02
    Hopefully if your spraying a decent amount of nitrous you have your timing tuning skills down by now... If not do yourself a favor and don't attempt to tune it yourself.
    You don't need logging data you need a co-pilot to watch and read pids.
    A dyno isn't the same as tuning at the track that's for sure.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I wouldn't buy the coils. If you'll notice the latest Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags Winner has stock coils on his. And he ran bottom 9's with his best pass ever in the 8.90's. You be the judge.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

BLACK
    2004 Monaro

I respectfully disagree with all the negative posts about this product. It's the same question you ask yourself when you ponder whether to put in Oliver rods or stockers, race lifters or stockers and the built trans. or yet again another stocker.

I think they are a worthwhile upgrade to the stock ignition system if you are running any combination of high compression, big cams, wide plug gaps, NOS or boost.

They are not worhtwhile on your build or similar bolt-on stock setup.

There is no problem with these units as far as reliability goes, just that like most fuel and ignition systems, they need tweaking. Contrary to what MSD marketing says they are NOT a bolt-on and go unit. AN LS1 needs its dwell angles tuned to suit or you WILL eventually burn them.

They are performance enhancing only in a very small number of cases as all you really need is enough voltage to arc the gap. It is definately NOT bolt-on horsepower for the average setup but it IS performance enhancing for the same reason you upgrade your fuel system. Its the sum of the parts that matters.

The next post you see about "I burnt mine in 2 weeks" or "I saw no noticable power gains" bought these with misguided expectations. Ask them if they had their tune adjusted to suit? If ppl. think this is bullshit, is it not common to recommend tuning adjustments for running bigger injectors? Then why are coils so different?

Why? Because there is too much crowd following on the internet and the people that make these work don't live here - they live at the track.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    I wouldn't buy the coils. If you'll notice the latest Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags Winner has stock coils on his. And he ran bottom 9's with his best pass ever in the 8.90's. You be the judge.
    I've also blown 325hp through a stock bottom end for a year in half with out issues but that doesn't make it right.......

Not to mention that car had a 350 shot on it........Yeah he had stock everything!

Thread Information