Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: msd 8.5 wires

sebring silver
    2000 z28

msd 8.5 wires

upgrading from the stock wires that have 114,000 miles, the car runs great but will i notice smoother running or better gas mileage

i pulled 13.0 at the track so its not like i had a missfire from the old wires but im just curiouse if the msd is all its crackued up to be,

isn't spark, spark how would a wire benifit power

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

A good spark can cause a good/clean combustion process. Efficiency is all about utilizing all the air and fuel in the cylinder. Anything less is a waste. And a good set of plug wires can help maintain and deliver a good spark that travels from the distributor down to the plug with less reistance than a stock wire. And yes, better wires can improve idle quality and gas mileage.

I would change the plugs while you're changing the wires.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Factory Wires I Took Off Measured About 500 Ohms Resistance, The New Msd's I Measured Had About 25 Ohm's. If More Spark Is Needed The New Wires Can Deliver More Because Of The Lower Resistance But I Don't Believe Horsepower Gains Claimed By Low Ohm's. Does Seem To Run And Idle Smooth With New Ngk's Also.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I went to a Corvette-specific shop today to test my new Granatelli wires. The owner was happy to put them to the test against his MSD's 8.5mm. My wires (Granatelli) read 0.00 OHM resistance, which is less then they promise (0.05). His wires (MSD) read 26 OHM resistance. Both wires were tested 3 times in a row, and the GMS wires kept on reading 0.00! If you want the absolute best, go with the Granatelli's.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

how do they comapre with the msd 8.5's price wise? a box of new msd's can be had for around $60 depending on the website. are the granatelli's more expensive since they have lower resistance?

Our Granatelli wires can cost a little more depending on where you purchase them from. Summit had them up for $95 for a while but I don't know if they're still listed for that price.

Our wires are made from expensive materials, but the gains and quality is well worth it. Stainless steel and silver isn't cheap, especially compared to copper. In addition, we have a patented RFI/EMI supression ring which you won't find on all other wires.

There are plenty of people who doubt the HP gains of high performance wires even though we even prove our statements on our website. We've used our dynamometer several times to display our HP claims, and you can see one of them here (new C6 Z06: 11 RWHP & 17 lb/ft torque gain). You will also see some MPG gain (as long as you don't change your driving habits), even though we don't sell the item as a fuel saver.

We share all of our dyno charts for all our products, and you can check them out here.

You may just disreguard what I'm saying because I work with Granatelli Motor Sports, but I promise you a superior product. Do the research yourself and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

We also have new green MPG wires guaranteeing up to 15% mileage gain but I haven't gotten the break-down on them just yet.

Last edited by GMS Fleet; 10-13-2006 at 12:33 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

wires are wires
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    wires are wires
    And ohm's are resistance!!!!!

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

So I think a 2000ohm per foot wire and a 50ohm per foot wire would be different..........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

silver
    g body

Very good thread. I live by MSD!! glad to see someone else has stepped up the game with better wires than MSD. Im going to try a set of the GMS.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

wires are wires
    Some are manufactured better. ...[ I have MSD ]
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

So I think a 2000ohm per foot wire and a 50ohm per foot wire would be different..........
    He said that because the length of the wire also determines resistance. Ever seen the length of the wires on a LS motor? Google is obviously your friend...try googleing wire length and resistance.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    I went to a Corvette-specific shop today to test my new Granatelli wires. The owner was happy to put them to the test against his MSD's 8.5mm. My wires (Granatelli) read 0.00 OHM resistance, which is less then they promise (0.05). His wires (MSD) read 26 OHM resistance. Both wires were tested 3 times in a row, and the GMS wires kept on reading 0.00! If you want the absolute best, go with the Granatelli's.
    I can agree with you on that !

The kid is correct. I did this test not to long ago with a facility and read 0 across the board!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    He said that because the length of the wire also determines resistance. Ever seen the length of the wires on a LS motor? Google is obviously your friend...try googleing wire length and resistance.
    NO I NEVER NOTICED THE LENGTH OF MY WIRES ON MY LS2.........

So I guess my MSD's that measure 35-42ohms and my stocks that are 620-645ohms..........

Little differance. Even though they are less than a foot long.Just cause they are short DOES NOT mean they are GREAT.......
    Google didn't tell me that!!!!!!!
    Selling wires EVERY day at the speed shop for 8 years did.

black

NO I NEVER NOTICED THE LENGTH OF MY WIRES ON MY LS2.........

So I guess my MSD's that measure 35-42ohms and my stocks that are 620-645ohms..........

Little differance. Even though they are less than a foot long.Just cause they are short DOES NOT mean they are GREAT.......
    Google didn't tell me that!!!!!!!
    Selling wires EVERY day at the speed shop for 8 years did.

heres my point, youre not gonna make more than 2 freakin horsepower weather its 600 ohms or 645.
    ive been threw a few sets of wires on my car and never could tell any performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GMS Fleet View Post
    Our Granatelli wires can cost a little more depending on where you purchase them from. Summit had them up for $95 for a while but I don't know if they're still listed for that price.

Our wires are made from expensive materials, but the gains and quality is well worth it. Stainless steel and silver isn't cheap, especially compared to copper. In addition, we have a patented RFI/EMI supression ring which you won't find on all other wires.

There are plenty of people who doubt the HP gains of high performance wires even though we even prove our statements on our website. We've used our dynamometer several times to display our HP claims, and you can see one of them here (new C6 Z06: 11 RWHP & 17 lb/ft torque gain). You will also see some MPG gain (as long as you don't change your driving habits), even though we don't sell the item as a fuel saver.

We share all of our dyno charts for all our products, and you can check them out here.

You may just disreguard what I'm saying because I work with Granatelli Motor Sports, but I promise you a superior product. Do the research yourself and I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

We also have new green MPG wires guaranteeing up to 15% mileage gain but I haven't gotten the break-down on them just yet.

Click for full size
    Click for full size

I need some help regarding plug wires & am hopeful that you will answer. There's an independant study on this site a few posts down where Ohm meter measured resistance has been posted. Magnecor suggests that the greatest resistance in a plug wire resides in an outer layer of the wire which in many cases is a layer of kevlar used to surpress EMI. Magnecor states that the AC voltage created by the coil will flow in a magnetic field in the outer most layer or skin of the wire. This is the area that creates the most resistance & is not measurable by a 1DC voltage test w/ an ohm meter. The Ohm meter test is checking resistance through the core only & not through the area of the wire where the actual coil voltage travels on the way to the plug.

My questions are do you agree w/ Magnecor's findings & if so, how does your wire address this issue?

Edit: After re-reading the Magnecor information, it says the AC characteristics of the Voltage flowing from the coil to the plug through the wire. It also specifically defines sparsely spaced thin outer windings surrounded by a latex, silicon, or kevlar coating as the path of least resistance that a 1 volt DC ohm meter follows which results in a low resistance reading. This sparse winding is not the portion of the wire where the coil voltage will travel. Therefore, the ohm meter reading isn't measuring the strands creating the highest resistance. Edited, to identify the Magnecor claim better & so that the questions don't turn into an off topic debate about the claims. I just want to understand why your wire is better & that the 0 Ohm measurement is through the meat of the wire or the @ least the area of the wire that passes the coil voltage. Thank-you
    Last edited by LS1-450; 10-17-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

heres my point, youre not gonna make more than 2 freakin horsepower weather its 600 ohms or 645.
    ive been threw a few sets of wires on my car and never could tell any performance difference.
    Thats TRUE!!!
    All these little improvements that ONLY give you a few horsepower will only give you better #'s on the dyno!!!!!!!!
    NO FEEL IN THE PANTS AND NO BETTER E.T.'s!!!
    Unless you are doing 20 of these mods trying to get EVERY posiable horsepower out of it with out going "in" the motor.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i measured my msd wires and got 26 ohms on all, then measured the factory and got 265 ohms on most , +/- 20 ohms

the msd is a great buy @ $60 the cheapest gms i foung was $160

ill take the extra $100

Untrue. I've personally seen dyno tests done with numerous different cars over here. In addition, I have Granatelli wires on my Z28 and installed them on my friend's SS just reciently. Not only has our wires proven to gain HP on the dyno at our shop, but I've personally felt this gain and a smoother acceleration. Yes I work for Granatelli Motor Sports, but I can vouch for these gains in and out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    i measured my msd wires and got 26 ohms on all, then measured the factory and got 265 ohms on most , +/- 20 ohms

the msd is a great buy @ $60 the cheapest gms i foung was $160

ill take the extra $100
    My suggestion to you is if you are unhappy with the price one of our dealers give, be sure to check out our other dealers that carry our product line. Summit Racing had our wires selling for $95 for quite some time, but they haven't stocked back up on them. If you want to request Summit to restock our wires at that price, promise them you'll buy our wires from them. Contact them either HERE or call their customer service at 1-800-517-1035 and request our wires.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
    I need some help regarding plug wires & am hopeful that you will answer. There's an independant study on this site a few posts down where Ohm meter measured resistance has been posted. Magnecor suggests that the greatest resistance in a plug wire resides in an outer layer of the wire which in many cases is a layer of kevlar used to surpress EMI. Magnecor states that the AC voltage created by the coil will flow in a magnetic field in the outer most layer or skin of the wire. This is the area that creates the most resistance & is not measurable by a 1DC voltage test w/ an ohm meter. The Ohm meter test is checking resistance through the core only & not through the area of the wire where the actual coil voltage travels on the way to the plug.

My questions are do you agree w/ Magnecor's findings & if so, how does your wire address this issue?

Edit: After re-reading the Magnecor information, it says the AC characteristics of the Voltage flowing from the coil to the plug through the wire. It also specifically defines sparsely spaced thin outer windings surrounded by a latex, silicon, or kevlar coating as the path of least resistance that a 1 volt DC ohm meter follows which results in a low resistance reading. This sparse winding is not the portion of the wire where the coil voltage will travel. Therefore, the ohm meter reading isn't measuring the strands creating the highest resistance. Edited, to identify the Magnecor claim better & so that the questions don't turn into an off topic debate about the claims. I just want to understand why your wire is better & that the 0 Ohm measurement is through the meat of the wire or the @ least the area of the wire that passes the coil voltage. Thank-you
    OK, I'm at Magnecor's website and also looking at the wire test on this forum. Magnacor's wires have ohm readings MORE THAN 5 TIMES higher than the stock wire tested. Note that Magnecor constantly infers that low-resistance wires do nothing, but they never flat-out say that. Surely they would have made this statement very clear if their research proved all their competitors wrong. Instead, they attempt to market their product as superior quality. It's contradictory to infer their competitor's wires do nothing for performance yet they call their product competition racing wires.

Magnecor is correct that electricity is forced to travel on the surface of a conductor rather than the inner core. That's why our Granatelli wires have a silver plating on its outer core, the best conductor known. Kevlar to my knowledge is not a good conductor, but is tensile. Granatelli wires' inner core is stainless steel for strength. We do not use Kevlar, but other companies do. When you are reading conductivity with an ohm meter and see 0 ohms for our wires, it is because of silver and the lack of EMI radiation thanks to our patented RFI/EFI ring. You will always have superior conductivity compared to other wire designs because of the materials we use.
    Last edited by GMS Fleet; 10-18-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I have a new item for my x-mas list!!!

black

Quote Originally Posted by GMS Fleet View Post

Untrue. I've personally seen dyno tests done with numerous different cars over here. In addition, I have Granatelli wires on my Z28 and installed them on my friend's SS just reciently. Not only has our wires proven to gain HP on the dyno at our shop, but I've personally felt this gain and a smoother acceleration. Yes I work for Granatelli Motor Sports, but I can vouch for these gains in and out of work.

1)as you should know, no two pulls are alike, moot point for youre h.p gain

2)seat of the pants feel can be in a persons head if he believes it enough.
    plug wires arent going to gain even a tenth on the track unless the old ones were just that, old and shitty or arcing.

3)you work for a tuner/hotrod seller, you have to plug what pays youre checks

4) ive been hot rodding for 20 years and have learned one thing, whatever claims are made by the company making or selling the part, cut the claimed h.p gain in half and thats the true gain.

if someone wants to spend way more than needed on plug wires, they deserve to be taken.

Thread Information