Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Mr. Gasket Thermostat

I just noticed looking through my summit racing catalog that Mr. Gasket makes an LS1 thermostat that is a 160 degree and it is like $12 and change... that's frikin cheap. has anyone else tried these.. really $60 for a SLP part is crazy.

Thanks in advance!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The LS1 stat includes the whole housing and stat as 1 piece, I would bet the $12 piece is stat only and would not work on our cars. That may be a newer revision but will not work on 97-02 LS1's.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=32&N=700+115

so is there no way to remove the thermostat from the goose neck? or do you break one removing/insterting?

Thanks

Steve

Todd is correct. That thermostat is for the LS2 engine and will not fit the LS1. I had one of these in my hand. Unfortunately the LS1 thermostat is a one piece design with the housing intact as Todd mentioned. It is not designed to come back apart and even if you managed to take it apart,,,the LS2 thermostat does not fit.

I've attempted this, and even took apart the LS1 thermostat playing with spacers for different temp settings. Unfortunately there is just no cheap and easy drop in thermostat You either have to modify your original with spacers,,,or purchase the $60 thermostat from SLP or other suppliers,,,,which is just a modified stocker with spacers anyway.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

does anyone have good directions to modify the stocker? I'm not affraid to jump into something but I like to know what i'm doing when I do.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

from what i hear...and from the pieces I have seen,...mr gasket is crap

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    from what i hear...and from the pieces I have seen,...mr gasket is crap
    The last one I had in my hand was actually made by Motor-rad,,,one of the best thermostats out there with a fail safe and all. It was just repackaged by Mr. Gasket I assume,,,,now unless since then they have went into making their own

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    does anyone have good directions to modify the stocker? I'm not affraid to jump into something but I like to know what i'm doing when I do.
    There have been several write ups on it. The local book stores have several of the LS engine series books with modifying everything, including the thermostats.

But basically it comes apart being very carefull. Then you use a spacer on the shaft,,,the books tell you to start with about .090 spacer so the stat will still completely close but I found with testing mine that I could go as far as .130 of an inch and still closed completely. Each stat may be slightly different here. General rule is though,,,the more spacer you install the cooler the thermostat runs. A good ballpark to start with is a small 1/8 ferral for a compression fitting.
    This is why I have mentioned the aftermarket 160 stats only operate around 173-175 degrees,,,because thats all the spacer that the aftermarket is installing. Unfortunately it's still advertised as a 160 though. Hope that helps.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The last one I had in my hand was actually made by Motor-rad,,,one of the best thermostats out there with a fail safe and all. It was just repackaged by Mr. Gasket I assume,,,,now unless since then they have went into making their own
    Same with the recent one I bought from WS6store, a motorad. I was happy to see this.

Thread Information