black
    1999 camaro SS

motor mount bolts

what ever Jack ass at GM thought it would be a good idea to put the bolts in from the front needs to be taken out back and beaten..

I got the drivers side bolt out by taking out the alternator..

does anyone have any tricks for getting the passenger side out?
    it looks to me like the AC unit is in the way and I really really really hope I don't have to mess with it just to remove one stupid bolt.

I'm putting in a new k member so it's gotta come out. this thread might be in the wrong place but it seems like it's an external engine problem.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    what ever Jack ass at GM thought it would be a good idea to put the bolts in from the front needs to be taken out back and beaten..

I got the drivers side bolt out by taking out the alternator..

does anyone have any tricks for getting the passenger side out?
    it looks to me like the AC unit is in the way and I really really really hope I don't have to mess with it just to remove one stupid bolt.

I'm putting in a new k member so it's gotta come out. this thread might be in the wrong place but it seems like it's an external engine problem.
    I didn't have to take my ALT out to get the front bolts just used a offset ratchet wrench. And as for the passenger side just the starter needed to come out.

black
    1999 camaro SS

after I got the nut off of the back. I tried to slide it out and there was no way It was coming out with the alternator in. none of the threads were even exposed yet and the bolt was hitting against the back of the alt. already.

that's good to hear about the pass. side. hopefully the starter will be the only thing in the way. i was hoping this would be easier than it is with the LT1's but it's just as frustrating lol

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

That sux I wonder why it's hitting the alt I had no problem with it. I had the tranny out cause I was doing the clutch and the manifolds off cause I was doing headers maybe it worked in my favor. Let me know how it goes

silver
    2000 formula

take out the whole pedastal.......and you will have no pro with the bolts......ask me how i know

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    take out the whole pedastal.......and you will have no pro with the bolts......ask me how i know
    that's my last resort on the pass. side if all else fails. I found a small gap between the rack and the k member that is at just the perfect angle to slide a wrench through on the front but when I try to wrench off the nut on the backside, the wrench on the front slips off. its a whore of a bolt

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

after I got the nut off of the back. I tried to slide it out and there was no way It was coming out with the alternator in. none of the threads were even exposed yet and the bolt was hitting against the back of the alt. already.
    Same thing happened to me. bolt hit alternator.

black
    1999 camaro SS

passenger side...... WAY WORSE!!!
    like it's not hard enough to reach the bolt to begin with. the bracket to the AC is in the way of the bolt coming out.. to get the AC bracket off you have to loosen up the AC from the bracket. to loosen the AC required me to unhook my EGR tube to the manifold so I could reach a gear wrench down to loosen a bolt on top of the AC......

it's funny because in the directions for the K Member it says so decievingly simply "remove motor mount cross bolts"...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

passenger side...... WAY WORSE!!!
    like it's not hard enough to reach the bolt to begin with. the bracket to the AC is in the way of the bolt coming out.. to get the AC bracket off you have to loosen up the AC from the bracket. to loosen the AC required me to unhook my EGR tube to the manifold so I could reach a gear wrench down to loosen a bolt on top of the AC......

it's funny because in the directions for the K Member it says so decievingly simply "remove motor mount cross bolts"...
    Yep, I had a feeling it was gonna be bad. When I had my driver's side motor mount apart, I took a peak over at the passenger side and said to myself "no effing way I'm gonna mess with that side today." It looked terrible so I didn't touch it. LOL and I'm a professional mechanic.

silver
    2000 formula

^^^ needs a professional shade tree mech to help him out

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yep

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Sorry guys I though he was taking the whole thing out not just the main bolt in the middle. I took the entire pedestal out that's why I didn't have to remove AC or ALT

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Great its that bad? I'm such an idiot should of listened and done them with the headers!!! It seems like taking the whole thing out would be the easiest but probably not. Maybe ill just do the tranny mount for now Haha that might help a little

black
    1999 camaro SS

the good news is when you put the bolts back in, you can slide them in very easily from the back and put the nuts on the front. it's still a little tough on the pass side but at least you don't have to unbolt the whole AC and the AC bracket

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No help on your motor mount from me, but I just swapped engines in my '68 Le Mans ragtop. I forgot how easy it is to unbolt the engine in those old Pontiacs, one bolt that goes in from the front slides thru the mount to the captured nut on the back side of the mount. Nothing in the way, used my impact. Literally had the two bolts out in seconds, and the motor came out.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    No help on your motor mount from me, but I just swapped engines in my '68 Le Mans ragtop. I forgot how easy it is to unbolt the engine in those old Pontiacs, one bolt that goes in from the front slides thru the mount to the captured nut on the back side of the mount. Nothing in the way, used my impact. Literally had the two bolts out in seconds, and the motor came out.
    Ya my 69 is simple. You forget how great these old cars are to work on. Nothing is in the way and everything is so basic

black
    1999 camaro SS

if I unbolt the wheel wells on my 64 Catalina I can literaly stand in the engine bay next to the 400 block! (stolen from a junked 1970 bonneville).

I don't mean to thread Jack but old Pontiac big blocks are freakin awesome. DEFINITION of torque monster! I love it haha.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

I like the Old Catalina...Great car! I have a 70 1/2 camaro i'm going to throw a 454 in. I had the motor sitting around and just got the car from my uncle. Too many projects not enough time

black
    1999 camaro SS

I'm thinking of selling the Catalina because in so addicted to the camaro that I haven't touched the cat for almost 6 months lol

Thread Information