Results 1 to 10 of 10

Mixen headers and Y's....

This is a discussion on Mixen headers and Y's.... within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey does anyone know if i can mix different headers with dif Y's? lets say Qtp headers with jet hot ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    46

    red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

    Mixen headers and Y's....

    Hey does anyone know if i can mix different headers with dif Y's? lets say Qtp headers with jet hot Y and cats,or slp cats and y's.. or kooks with the same packages? thanks

  2. #2
    Member Pntbll309's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    221

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

    Um yes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post
    Um yes.
    Based on what? If they're the same style maybe. ie. Hooker y with Jet Hott headers possibly. Don't expect a Pacesetter y to fit Kooks. Basically I'd say no.

  4. #4
    Member Pntbll309's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    221

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Based on what? If they're the same style maybe. ie. Hooker y with Jet Hott headers possibly. Don't expect a Pacesetter y to fit Kooks. Basically I'd say no.
    Considering that Jet hot is the most used Y pipe on most headers. Of course a y pipe for long tubes wont fit shorties/mids/or stock. Go to ls1tech you will see many people running mixed setups with very little to no problems. For the most part a y is like a lid, they are all the same, fit the same and what not. Now SLP hangs lower than most, and the OBX are made for the OBX. But 99% of the time any Y will work. Also look at Texas Speed who makes a y pipe, most people use that for all kinds of headers. So I would ignore the above post since there is really no backing to that argument.

  5. #5
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post
    Considering that Jet hot is the most used Y pipe on most headers. Of course a y pipe for long tubes wont fit shorties/mids/or stock. Go to ls1tech you will see many people running mixed setups with very little to no problems. For the most part a y is like a lid, they are all the same, fit the same and what not. Now SLP hangs lower than most, and the OBX are made for the OBX. But 99% of the time any Y will work. Also look at Texas Speed who makes a y pipe, most people use that for all kinds of headers. So I would ignore the above post since there is really no backing to that argument.
    Lol. I have a Texas Speed Y with my XS headers. This is what we had to do to make it fit:


    I've read guys sigs on LS1 Tech saying they use brand "X" headers with brand "X" y pipe and then read in other posts that they had to modify it much like mine to make it fit. If you have a good exhaust guy then by all means go fot it but be prepared for some modding. If you think mix matching LTs and Ys with no problems you may be disappointed. I was told by word of mouth (what you base your argument on) that the TSP Y would fit XS lts, no dice. This is real world experience. My .02.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 02-05-2008 at 05:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Member Pntbll309's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    221

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Lol. I have a Texas Speed Y with my XS headers. This is what we had to do to make it fit:
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I've read guys sigs on LS1 Tech saying they use brand "X" headers with brand "X" y pipe and then read in other posts that they had to modify it much like mine to make it fit. If you have a good exhaust guy then by all means go fot it but be prepared for some modding. If you think mix matching LTs and Ys with no problems you may be disappointed. I was told by word of mouth (what you base your argument on) that the TSP Y would fit XS lts, no dice. This is real world experience. My .02.
    I would say the XS/Authocrhome etc. ect. would be the exception. They are notorious for having an angle on the DS collector. As we see in the pic, that is what causes the Y to be re worked.

  7. #7
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post
    I would say the XS/Authocrhome etc. ect. would be the exception. They are notorious for having an angle on the DS collector. As we see in the pic, that is what causes the Y to be re worked.
    Not really. Nothing wrong with the header angle. Notice both sides of the Y were modded. Contrary to popular belief there is no problem with the header angle, notice I didn't have to "pie cut" mine. Problem people are having is with the Y pipe. Needs an s bend after the collector (like we did to mine). XS uses a Pacesetter (copy) y pipe with a Hooker (copy) set of headers. Just more fuel to this argument about mixing headers and Ys. One person on Tech (Tainted I believe) uses a Jet Hot (also a Hooker copy) with XS headers successfully.

  8. #8
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    You also have to look out for headers/y-pipes that are slip-fit connections or flanges.

  9. #9
    Member Pntbll309's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    221

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Not really. Nothing wrong with the header angle. Notice both sides of the Y were modded. Contrary to popular belief there is no problem with the header angle, notice I didn't have to "pie cut" mine. Problem people are having is with the Y pipe. Needs an s bend after the collector (like we did to mine). XS uses a Pacesetter (copy) y pipe with a Hooker (copy) set of headers. Just more fuel to this argument about mixing headers and Ys. One person on Tech (Tainted I believe) uses a Jet Hot (also a Hooker copy) with XS headers successfully.
    Tainted is obsessed with XS headers... So I would assume he uses their Y. But who knows. Every batch seems to be different.

  10. #10
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by champain View Post
    Hey does anyone know if i can mix different headers with dif Y's? lets say Qtp headers with jet hot Y and cats,or slp cats and y's.. or kooks with the same packages? thanks
    I have QTP longtubes and a Pacesetter Y-pipe. To make it fit, you need to trim 2" off of the front of the Y-pipe where it meets the headers. The 2" peice that you cut off is the expanded part, which will need to be re-expanded.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mac mid headers or lt headers 2002 camaro with y pipe
    By chief98ls1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Question: Longtube headers or short headers?
    By 98maro in forum General Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM
  3. which LT headers?? TOO MANY DAMN HEADERS TO CHOOSE FROM!
    By bad@ss mike in forum External Engine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
  4. headers for sale? which headers should i buy?
    By wooten in forum External Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
  5. Has Stainless Works Headers become the Top Headers of all?
    By Sunset T/A in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •