red
    1998 pontiac transam ws6

Mixen headers and Y's....

Hey does anyone know if i can mix different headers with dif Y's? lets say Qtp headers with jet hot Y and cats,or slp cats and y's.. or kooks with the same packages? thanks

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Um yes.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Pntbll309 View Post
    Um yes.
    Based on what? If they're the same style maybe. ie. Hooker y with Jet Hott headers possibly. Don't expect a Pacesetter y to fit Kooks. Basically I'd say no.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Based on what? If they're the same style maybe. ie. Hooker y with Jet Hott headers possibly. Don't expect a Pacesetter y to fit Kooks. Basically I'd say no.
    Considering that Jet hot is the most used Y pipe on most headers. Of course a y pipe for long tubes wont fit shorties/mids/or stock. Go to ls1tech you will see many people running mixed setups with very little to no problems. For the most part a y is like a lid, they are all the same, fit the same and what not. Now SLP hangs lower than most, and the OBX are made for the OBX. But 99% of the time any Y will work. Also look at Texas Speed who makes a y pipe, most people use that for all kinds of headers. So I would ignore the above post since there is really no backing to that argument.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Considering that Jet hot is the most used Y pipe on most headers. Of course a y pipe for long tubes wont fit shorties/mids/or stock. Go to ls1tech you will see many people running mixed setups with very little to no problems. For the most part a y is like a lid, they are all the same, fit the same and what not. Now SLP hangs lower than most, and the OBX are made for the OBX. But 99% of the time any Y will work. Also look at Texas Speed who makes a y pipe, most people use that for all kinds of headers. So I would ignore the above post since there is really no backing to that argument.
    Lol. I have a Texas Speed Y with my XS headers. This is what we had to do to make it fit:

I've read guys sigs on LS1 Tech saying they use brand "X" headers with brand "X" y pipe and then read in other posts that they had to modify it much like mine to make it fit. If you have a good exhaust guy then by all means go fot it but be prepared for some modding. If you think mix matching LTs and Ys with no problems you may be disappointed. I was told by word of mouth (what you base your argument on) that the TSP Y would fit XS lts, no dice. This is real world experience. My .02.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 02-05-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Lol. I have a Texas Speed Y with my XS headers. This is what we had to do to make it fit:
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    I've read guys sigs on LS1 Tech saying they use brand "X" headers with brand "X" y pipe and then read in other posts that they had to modify it much like mine to make it fit. If you have a good exhaust guy then by all means go fot it but be prepared for some modding. If you think mix matching LTs and Ys with no problems you may be disappointed. I was told by word of mouth (what you base your argument on) that the TSP Y would fit XS lts, no dice. This is real world experience. My .02.
    I would say the XS/Authocrhome etc. ect. would be the exception. They are notorious for having an angle on the DS collector. As we see in the pic, that is what causes the Y to be re worked.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I would say the XS/Authocrhome etc. ect. would be the exception. They are notorious for having an angle on the DS collector. As we see in the pic, that is what causes the Y to be re worked.
    Not really. Nothing wrong with the header angle. Notice both sides of the Y were modded. Contrary to popular belief there is no problem with the header angle, notice I didn't have to "pie cut" mine. Problem people are having is with the Y pipe. Needs an s bend after the collector (like we did to mine). XS uses a Pacesetter (copy) y pipe with a Hooker (copy) set of headers. Just more fuel to this argument about mixing headers and Ys. One person on Tech (Tainted I believe) uses a Jet Hot (also a Hooker copy) with XS headers successfully.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

You also have to look out for headers/y-pipes that are slip-fit connections or flanges.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am

Not really. Nothing wrong with the header angle. Notice both sides of the Y were modded. Contrary to popular belief there is no problem with the header angle, notice I didn't have to "pie cut" mine. Problem people are having is with the Y pipe. Needs an s bend after the collector (like we did to mine). XS uses a Pacesetter (copy) y pipe with a Hooker (copy) set of headers. Just more fuel to this argument about mixing headers and Ys. One person on Tech (Tainted I believe) uses a Jet Hot (also a Hooker copy) with XS headers successfully.
    Tainted is obsessed with XS headers... So I would assume he uses their Y. But who knows. Every batch seems to be different.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by champain View Post
    Hey does anyone know if i can mix different headers with dif Y's? lets say Qtp headers with jet hot Y and cats,or slp cats and y's.. or kooks with the same packages? thanks
    I have QTP longtubes and a Pacesetter Y-pipe. To make it fit, you need to trim 2" off of the front of the Y-pipe where it meets the headers. The 2" peice that you cut off is the expanded part, which will need to be re-expanded.

Thread Information