Results 1 to 12 of 12

middle of header install ?s

This is a discussion on middle of header install ?s within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok so I am in the process of installing LT headers. I have a few questions regarding various install methods. ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    205

    Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

    Question middle of header install ?s

    Ok so I am in the process of installing LT headers. I have a few questions regarding various install methods.

    1. I am changing the spark plugs out and one page said it is easier to install the passenger side spark plugs before installing the headers. Is this the easier way to do this? My concern is possibly breaking a spark plug while trying to get the header in place. but it does seem difficult to replace them with the header already installed. it was a pain to work around the heater core hoses and would be easier without the header there.

    2. I removed the EGR unit (99 model) and was wondering if I can leave this off and plug the EGR holes before getting the codes tuned out. Will this affect the way the car runs? Or should I wait until getting those codes deleted and reinstall temporarily.

    3. What's the best way to plug the rear bung? Is there a bolt I should put in there or put the old 02 sensors without plugging them in anywhere? Thanks

  2. #2
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    1. Personaly i always replace the plugs befor i install the headers, just be careful not to hit any of the plugs. Although its not too bad to do it afterwards. The last one is a pain but i always get it from under the car.
    2. You can leave it off as long as you use block off plates, you will throw a SES code until its tunned out.
    3. Rear bung? do you have an aftermarket ory? If so you shouldnt have any holes to plug, if your using the stock Y, you can leave the old 02 sensors in there until you find a plug or have someone weld it shut for ya.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    1. Personaly i always replace the plugs befor i install the headers, just be careful not to hit any of the plugs. Although its not too bad to do it afterwards. The last one is a pain but i always get it from under the car.
    2. You can leave it off as long as you use block off plates, you will throw a SES code until its tunned out.
    3. Rear bung? do you have an aftermarket ory? If so you shouldnt have any holes to plug, if your using the stock Y, you can leave the old 02 sensors in there until you find a plug or have someone weld it shut for ya.
    J
    Exactly what he stated on #2 and #3. I personally would do the headers first, then install the plugs, for fear of breaking them. The plugs are a lot easier to do if you have the coil packs removed, its gives you a lot more room to maneuver.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,621

    silver
    2000 formula

    i tried to have the plugs in before the headers......but the headers would not fit with the plugs already in....out come the plugs....luckily the plugs were not to hard to put in with the headers in

  5. #5
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Install plugs after the headers just to be safe. PM me your address and I'll send you a pair of plugs that I took out of my headers that will plug up the holes for the back O2 sensors- I have an extra pair if you want them.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    205

    Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

    Awesome Thanks guys. Is it easier to get the far back PS plug in from underneath with LT headers over the stock manifold? I can't seem to get under there with the stock manifold because of the flange where the cat bolts up. I was considering just putting the far back one in prior to sliding the headers over but it seems safer to do it after bolting the headers in? The last time I did plugs for the rear plug I laid over the egine bay and reached my hand back there, but I don't want to do it that way with the car on jacks stands.

    Another question, anyone know where to get cheap EGR and AIR block off plates? I found a few kits online that are way too much for some thin pieces of cut metal. The cheapest I found just for 3 block off plates was 24 including shipping, which still is a bit pricey.

    Thanks again

  7. #7
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Make your own block off plates. Cost you less than $5 for the strip of metal from Home Depot. Use the flanges from the tubes as templates and reuse the gaskets from them- real easy to do if you hace a cut off wheel.

    As for the spark plugs, depending on the headers- some I've heard you can get to from the top. If you need extra room, drop the starter (two bolts) and go from beneath.

  8. #8
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima,ohio
    Age
    33
    Posts
    157

    White
    2000 trans am

    put plugs in before u put new headers in the codes for egr u will be fine an the make a o2 bung plug just screws in

  9. #9
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    hope your dipstick wasnt a PITA like mine. It took me almost the whole tear down to get that thing out. I ofund that a small pry bar at the base helps to get it out with the addtion of "tapping" it out with a small hammer. Hope everything goes in smoothly.

  10. #10
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    hope your dipstick wasnt a PITA like mine. It took me almost the whole tear down to get that thing out. I ofund that a small pry bar at the base helps to get it out with the addtion of "tapping" it out with a small hammer. Hope everything goes in smoothly.
    Lol yepp, i only had a problem with one buddy's car and the dipstick but man it was horrible...
    J

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    205

    Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

    Fortunately mine popped right out!! So far everything is going smoothly... The ps motor mount was the most challenging thing. So no clearance issues if you put the plugs in first? The only one I am concerned about is the right rear.

    What do you guys do with the electrical connections from the rear 02 sensors? I'm thinking about using the old electric portion to plug in so water won't damage the connection in case I need to add rear 02 or the egr stuff.
    Also has anyone just unplugged the air motor instead of removing it? Thanks guys... Looks like the headers are going in tommorow

  12. #12
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Fortunately mine popped right out!! So far everything is going smoothly... The ps motor mount was the most challenging thing. So no clearance issues if you put the plugs in first? The only one I am concerned about is the right rear.

    What do you guys do with the electrical connections from the rear 02 sensors? I'm thinking about using the old electric portion to plug in so water won't damage the connection in case I need to add rear 02 or the egr stuff.
    Also has anyone just unplugged the air motor instead of removing it? Thanks guys... Looks like the headers are going in tommorow
    That's what I've done. Clip the plugs off the two front O2s that I replaced with the bosch O2s and used them.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Header Install
    By BR427 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
  2. Install shop or DIY header install?
    By dethinboots in forum External Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 07:35 PM
  3. Post LT header install header issues
    By ob02z28 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
  4. in the middle of a head cam install
    By MCCs WS6 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM
  5. header install
    By bad@ss mike in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 07:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •