dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Methanol on 01 ss opinions?

i have been contemplating this for a while now because it safer than nitrous and considerably cheaper

anyone on here done this or know someone that has?

black
    1999 camaro SS

I have only read of people running meth kits with superchargers. I have not read anything thus far of anyone just useing meth on an other wise NA LS1.
    I'm subcribibg to this

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

sounds good i have to make a few calls to a couple of guy to see what i can come up with as far as answers etc. but i know its mandatory on high performance turbo cars but i figured WTH not try it on my car

Black
    1998 Trans Am

We used the Snow Stage III kit on our 9 second Lightning. It definitly does work as far as lowering intake temps. You will need a retune because it richens you up by about a point. (12.9 goes to 11.9). Theyre pretty simple to install. But i dont see the need for it on an N/A car. You use them on forced induction because when you compress air it gets hot. N/A cars usually just get hot intakes from heat sink. Pull your intake off and put a sheet of heat reflective material between the intake and valley. it does make a significant difference. We took the intake off our 2011 5.0 to put a sheet under it and the engine was warm at the time and just with your hand you could feel the difference of how much heat was rising off the valley with and without the sheet.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i see i may just try it and see what i can come up with

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If you get it buy the stage 3 snow kit because it comes with the controller. You can make it so it only kicks on a a certain injector load, boost level, or throttle position.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I wonder how much it would really do for an NA motor though?

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Havent seen one on a N/A motor but would like to know how good it works. subscribing
    99 Pontiac Trans Am Silver: Custom K&N Intake, 85mm BBK SSI Intake, 85 PP Throttle Body, Pacesetter long tube headers, TSP off road y-pipe, TSP Rumbler catback, Torque Thrust II sitting on Nitto 555 all around, 20% tint, and the free mods

1997 Cadillac Deville~32v northstar v8

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    If you get it buy the stage 3 snow kit because it comes with the controller. You can make it so it only kicks on a a certain injector load, boost level, or throttle position.
    what would be a good place to get that? so i know how much $$$ im looking at

Black
    99 Silverado

Don't think you'll see much in the way of gains unless you had a bunch of compression (i.e. it would allow you to run a high compression engine on pump gas + meth instead of race gas)...

You will have to lean out the tune and add timing to get the most out of it... so, you'll need a tuner and dyno...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    what would be a good place to get that? so i know how much $$$ im looking at
    just google Snow Performance Stage 3 and look at prices from some of those places. theyre about 700-750 for gas engines. but theres much better ways to gain power for you since you arent boosted and arent sure if there are gonna be gains at all. it seems like alot of money to gamble on it you ask me.

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

My Supra is a meth addict. You will get to run more boost= more HP......I LOVE IT !!!!! You also, WAY LOWER your detonation risk. It's well worth it. We use the windshield washer reservoir (it holds a gallon) That last a month. I'm pretty sure the f-bodies are larger. You will not be able to squirt your windshield anymore.
    Last edited by nomolos1; 10-11-2010 at 03:05 PM.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    just google Snow Performance Stage 3 and look at prices from some of those places. theyre about 700-750 for gas engines. but theres much better ways to gain power for you since you arent boosted and arent sure if there are gonna be gains at all. it seems like alot of money to gamble on it you ask me.
    yeah thats true its more worth it to save up a little more money and just put a h/c set up i know i would be more impressed with that in the long run

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by nomolos1 View Post
    My Supra is a meth addict. You will get to run more boost= more HP......I LOVE IT !!!!! You also, WAY LOWER your detonation risk. It's well worth it. We use the windshield washer reservoir (it holds a gallon) That last a month. I'm pretty sure the f-bodies are larger. You will not be able to squirt your windshield anymore.
    yeah that wouldnt be a problem ive had my car about 2 months and havent used it once

when i dynoed saturday i went with one of the guys that i work with whose got a 98 supra with a fully built 2jz with a massive single turbo on e-85 and he was puttin down 794 on 25 psi and 835 on 28-29 psi

i'd reccommend the e-85 kit if you dont already have it its like 2.25 per gallon down here

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

I wish E85 was more available in the Atlanta area. I would be in the high 700s myself. If you go back and forth between 93 and E85, it really screws with your tune. Things can happen. So if you go E85, you'll need to hold the path, unless you are able to re tune with you laptop on the spot.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by nomolos1 View Post
    I wish E85 was more available in the Atlanta area. I would be in the high 700s myself. If you go back and forth between 93 and E85, it really screws with your tune. Things can happen. So if you go E85, you'll need to hold the path, unless you are able to re tune with you laptop on the spot.
    yeah and that starts to be a bitch after awhile but if it starts to become avaliable more i would say go for it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There is an extensive thread on here about this very subject. The conclusion was meth does not really do a whole lot for NA cars.

I searched about it because I will be running a S/C.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

ok thanks 35thanv that about sums it up i guess

Thread Information