Results 1 to 14 of 14

max n/a Ls1 h/p and torque quess

This is a discussion on max n/a Ls1 h/p and torque quess within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i'm writing a paper for my freshman writing class at cmu on the firebird. and i was wondering what is ...

  1. #1
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    max n/a Ls1 h/p and torque quess

    i'm writing a paper for my freshman writing class at cmu on the firebird. and i was wondering what is the rough max hp and t/q that a n/a ls1 could make/handle?

  2. #2
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    So, you want best case scenario for an LS1 with bolt-ons and heads/cam potential? Or do you want to know how much hp/tq an LS1 block can handle?

  3. #3
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    hmmm how bought both..i thought the aluminum block could only really handle around 700ish

  4. #4
    Member SR71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Age
    38
    Posts
    105

    Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

    I wouldnt go more than 550-600hp on that stock bottom end. Someone correct me if im wrong but anything past 600, you should go forged right?

  5. #5
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Forged is always a good idea with high horsepower engines.
    But they answer to your questions will be somewhat hypothetical.
    You would have to take the factory 346 LS1 block and build it with forged internals, great flowing heads, a HUGE cam, premium valvetrain...etc.
    What about the driveshaft and rear end? Are those going to stay stock as well, because those can only take so much torque before crappin' out.
    I'm trying to wrap my head around everything you're asking. Technically, there's no set answer, too many possibilities.

  6. #6
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    yea i know about the rear and such..but i was just asking about the engine.

  7. #7
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    I'm sure it could make 550hp+ at the crank with heads/cam and bolt-ons.

  8. #8
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Mine blew at a little over 600 to the wheels....But it wasnt an engine issue per se as much as a tuning/builder issue....I've seen a LS1 block at 1100 RWHP....if your asking what can a stock LS1 spinner assembly run I'd say right at 450 HP...

  9. #9
    Junior Member Ricer Cooker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Mine blew at a little over 600 to the wheels....But it wasnt an engine issue per se as much as a tuning/builder issue....I've seen a LS1 block at 1100 RWHP....if your asking what can a stock LS1 spinner assembly run I'd say right at 450 HP...
    What do you think about the LS6?
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

    Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

  10. #10
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    The LS6 is basically the same block, it just has different characteristics from the factory to give it that higher hp rating from the factory. You could build an LS6 with the LS1 block if you wanted, it would just be a waste of money replacing the heads, cam, intake manifold...etc. But stripping all that stuff and building that one up for the same purpose as the LS1 on this thread would yield similar results.

    As far as the LS1 goes, I don't think the 346 aluminum block itself could produce 1100 RWHP. It would die. I'm sure the LS1 that you're talking about would be the iron block. But I could be wrong.

    To rephrase the question though, pull the LS1 out of an 02 f-body, strip it to the block, keep stock cubes, and build it up all premium parts. Money isn't an issue, what would the best case scenario yield? Just heads/cam and bolt-ons though. Not nitrous or forced induction...

  11. #11
    Mrs.'s Boobies
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Age
    44
    Posts
    197

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

    There are quite a few stock short blocks putting down over 450 to the rear wheels. Our 1998 Z28's stock short block put down 450 rwhp through a th400 and a 12-bolt. The TH400 and 12-bolt rob more power then a 4L60E and a 10-bolt, so using the theoretical 18% loss, our engine was putting down about 550 at the crank. With forged internals and a better selction of parts, it would have put down more. We did add a little nitrous to ours (135 shot) and it ran 9.94 @ 137 in the 1/4 mile ... which equated to about 575 rwhp or 700 at the crank.
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: FQuick Garage
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: FQuick Garage

  12. #12
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    The LS6 is basically the same block, it just has different characteristics from the factory to give it that higher hp rating from the factory. You could build an LS6 with the LS1 block if you wanted, it would just be a waste of money replacing the heads, cam, intake manifold...etc. But stripping all that stuff and building that one up for the same purpose as the LS1 on this thread would yield similar results.

    As far as the LS1 goes, I don't think the 346 aluminum block itself could produce 1100 RWHP. It would die. I'm sure the LS1 that you're talking about would be the iron block. But I could be wrong.

    To rephrase the question though, pull the LS1 out of an 02 f-body, strip it to the block, keep stock cubes, and build it up all premium parts. Money isn't an issue, what would the best case scenario yield? Just heads/cam and bolt-ons though. Not nitrous or forced induction...
    Yes the LS1 I reference was built in a motor buildoff and only had to run for 5 minutes Talk about clearing a room....

  13. #13
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    There are quite a few stock short blocks putting down over 450 to the rear wheels. Our 1998 Z28's stock short block put down 450 rwhp through a th400 and a 12-bolt. The TH400 and 12-bolt rob more power then a 4L60E and a 10-bolt, so using the theoretical 18% loss, our engine was putting down about 550 at the crank. With forged internals and a better selction of parts, it would have put down more. We did add a little nitrous to ours (135 shot) and it ran 9.94 @ 137 in the 1/4 mile ... which equated to about 575 rwhp or 700 at the crank.
    Yup.....Its always good to hear from the "real" crowd....So many times these kids get all tied up in RWHP on the dyno...who gives a shit....how quick am I? That's the build goals.....I could care less about dyno numbers...they have their place I guess....but in the end....what is my trap speed and ET....

  14. #14
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yup.....Its always good to hear from the "real" crowd....So many times these kids get all tied up in RWHP on the dyno...who gives a shit....how quick am I? That's the build goals.....I could care less about dyno numbers...they have their place I guess....but in the end....what is my trap speed and ET....
    i'm not all tied up with rwhp..but i mean for a research paper i just wanted to know about the ls1's n/a max possible output to show how well enginered it is ya know?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale: umi tunnel mount torque arm brace and on car adj torque arm
    By 99yellowz28 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
  2. Torque Thrust II's vs Torque ThrustM Chrome's??
    By SteelmanLS1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
  3. WTB Torque arm....
    By clg82 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
  4. Torque Arm
    By Big G in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 08:26 PM
  5. low torque
    By skar in forum Dyno Information
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 07:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •