Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    99 camaro ss

Mass Air Flow Sensor?

On my 99 SS I have long tube headers with 3 in. y pipe, no Cat and cat back Magnaflow SS high performace exhaust. I also just put a Volant air intake on it as we'll. Now I have to have the ECU remapped, and before I do, I want to Install an SLP mass air flow sensor. I was wondering about that little screen they have on these sensors, can I cut out the screen before I install the SLP mass air flow sensor for a little more power, then have my ecu remapped? After I replace the spark plugs and install some racing wires in it as well, because I know after a while you spark plugs will go bad.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Leave the MAF alone!

Unless you are going to have the car tuned upon installation of the SLP MAF, it will skew your air-fuel. As noted by Greg Banish in his tuning publications, the stock MAF should be left alone, screen and all, and can support up to 500 hp. Please note that this is the consensus of most members on this site from a number of past threads. If you want a more detailed answer, let me know.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What Jeff said. Leave it stock, and leave it alone.

blue
    99 camaro ss

Yes, i have read all of that on this site i have done alot of research but i was on some other site looking at getting an Mass Air Flow Sensor and the site said you can cut out the screen for more air flow. But i figured i would confirm if this info was good or not. thax for the info.

silver
    2000 formula

i know its back and forth on the issue...but i did it......and dont regret it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've also heard from Tuners that it is more difficult to tune the car properly with the SLP MAF b/c of the small resistor present. I don't have any evidence of this though other than hearsay.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

wow,glad i stumbled onto this thread,i was thinking of getting a slp maf sensor. thanks for the info,i'll keep the stocker!

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

I too was thinking of cutting out the honeycomb from the maf sensor, my 99 ss runs well. Don't want to mess up a good thing, so i'm leaving it alone

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would have kept my stock maf but it went bad. I went the granatelli route since I have heard of people having trouble with SLP's on 98's since the computer is different.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by flotty View Post
    Yes, i have read all of that on this site i have done alot of research but i was on some other site looking at getting an Mass Air Flow Sensor and the site said you can cut out the screen for more air flow. But i figured i would confirm if this info was good or not. thax for the info.
    the big part here is tuning for it...removing the screen will change the readings and its corresponding information that links the grams per second with the fuelings etc. however ....be warned it is usually better to leave it alone as for most builds until you are really taxing the intake needs...the gain from descreening is little to none. if you were running the fast 102, with a 102 throttle body, and a 102mm intake tract with the small 78mm or 75mm (can never remember) maf...it will by nature become a restriction, screen or not..in which case some serious tuning time with the new system and a larger maf will see gains. until then..run the stocker and keep it in.

what most people forget is that the screen while there to smooth out the air flow...also provides another filter if you will for larger debris...debris that will increase with your volant

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    if you were running the fast 102, with a 102 throttle body, and a 102mm intake tract with the small 78mm or 75mm (can never remember) maf...it will by nature become a restriction, screen or not..in which case some serious tuning time with the new system and a larger maf will see gains. until then..run the stocker and keep it
    if your at this point then it's time to upgrade to the 4" maf. lol

black
    2002 camaro

so an up graded slp mass air on a stock 02 would this make the motor run lean???

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Changing out a MAF is a newbie mistake. 10 years back i made that mistake myself and after 3 aftermarket MAFs, back to stock and zero problems.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Changing out a MAF is a newbie mistake.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ratt View Post
    so an up graded slp mass air on a stock 02 would this make the motor run lean???

Most likely. You can tune around an aftermarket MAF, but some of the guys end up chasing their tails on these things. Best bet is to run with the stock unit and keep it unmolested -- don't descreen it, don't deblade it, and don't port it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Changing out a MAF is a newbie mistake. 10 years back i made that mistake myself and after 3 aftermarket MAFs, back to stock and zero problems.

I agree. Seems that the MAF is the first thing they want to change out after putting on a K&N. I'll admit, I looked at the aftermarket MAFs in the catalogues. It was only being a member on here that saved me from that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post

Actually, that was a legitimate reply.

1997 TA

Not worth it IMO. Keep the screen and get it tuned.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the SLP MAF for sale if anyone is interested

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Leave the maf alone. I bought a Granitelli back in the day had problems with it. Stock now.

Black
    2001 Camaro

I am having some problems with my 2001 Camaro z28. I the engine seems to run like its missing when I have the MAF plugged in but as soon as its unplugged it runs a lot better. Before I picked it up from the dealer they had it deatailed and the idiot who detailed it sprayed the engine straight up with a hose getting everything when including all the electrical conections and the air filter. Then without letting it dry this dumbass started it. It ran very low RMP's and was sputtering like it was missing somehow. They took it to the shop over the weekend and when I came to pick it up monday it was running fine. By the time I got it back to my place which is about 20+ miles away it was having the same problem. I was told that I need to replace the MAF by people who know a little more then me. Do yall think its the MAF or do yall have any advice or tips how to narrow down the problem if its not.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

look at the eng sens fuse and if that is ok then replace your maf

Thread Information