Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magnaflow vs. SLP catback opinions

I am new to the forums here and have been debating between the dual/dual magnaflow catback part number 16723 or the SLP LM1 catback.

Basically I am wanting a deep rumble sound, but also fairly loud (I like to be noticed hehe).

Would the magnaflow meet the 'loudish' requirement? I have heard it isnt loud at all and that it is loud. But so far its looks with the molded bumper is amazing.

Opinions are definitely wanted because I am going to try to get a catback soon after I decide.

Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

This is mine, Pacesetters LT with TS&P ORY, and Razor muffler. I have a Magnaflow on now because the headers blew out the baffles after this video but it sounds just as mean.

You can hear the baffles starting to go (the rasping sound)

View Video on FQuick

Just giving you some options, this setup plus the Magnaflow cost me about $550

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I have both. On my 2000 which is a DD, I still have the stock manifolds and y pipe along with the magnaflow catback. To me, it's perfect for a DD. It has a nice deep tone but it isn't loud. I have the LM1 on my 98. When I had the stock manifolds and y pipe it sounded great but was more loud than deep and had some drone at highway speed. After I added longtubes and catted y it got really loud but lost some of the drone. I then cut out the resonator and added a magnaflow bullet and that cured all of my drone and gave it a nice sound. To sum it up, loud = LM1 and deep mellow = Magnaflow. Adding headers and y will change the sound of both.

I have Loudmouth 1, with PS long tubes and high flow cats. There isnt any rasp, just alittle drone. Its no where near as bad as people make it out to be. I actually think its very quiet at idle and driving around. WOT is pretty loud but isnt that the point?

LM1 gets my vote.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I will never suggest an SLP catback. I had to remove the loudmouth from my car once I had a cam and longtubes. Sounded like shit.

I will never use anything but Magnaflow anymore.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I will never suggest an SLP catback. I had to remove the loudmouth from my car once I had a cam and longtubes. Sounded like shit.

I will never use anything but Magnaflow anymore.
    Absolutely agree!!!! I've had Borla (Custom set up/not CAT back), Dynomax, Flowmaster, GMMG Clones, Straight pipes (against my will... for a day), and now Magnaflow for about 6 months now. The Best set up ever! wouldn't use anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blue
    1999 TransAm

i have magnaflow on mine. nice deep sound, not obnoxiously loud, ...no highway "drone" problem.. plus magnaflow uses quality 100% stainless steel, lifetime warranty.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

SLP catbacks and SLP parts

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    SLP catbacks and SLP parts
    I dont know I kinda like my slp lid I got for $89.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

their lids and line locks are good, but everything else see Y2KPewterSS for my response.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    their lids and line locks are good, but everything else see Y2KPewterSS for my response.
    Theres nothing wrong with the cat back its light and flows great. I wouldnt buy a cam from them though

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Magnaflow P/N 16723:

'nuff said.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Magnaflow P/N 16723:

Click for full size

'nuff said.
    That looks convincing to me lol ^

NBM Z28

SLP Loudmouth 1 is very bad ass sounding. It sounds great if you dont have longtubes, and a ory. Once you do, it is very loud, and raspy. I have had LM1, Flowmaster, Dynomouth, Magnaflow and now TSP true duals. Honestly true duals is the way to go. Magnaflow is too quiet. If not TSP Duals, i would highly go with Hooker catback over magnaflow.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Magnaflow part #16723.... Tips, lol
    Got magnaflow bullet mufflers through a true dual system. Perfect to me. The catback was quiet and I liked it but this to me is 100x better

White
    1998 Trans Am

I run the SLP Power Flo catback and love the sound. Though a LM2 would be better if you want louder. Mine keeps my car deep and loud enough at WOT but can still talk on the phone if I need to. Just tried this cause I got a deal off a company I oreder parts though when it 1st came out and can't say I would ever trade it for a magnaflow or anything except maybe a GMMG.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

I love how people think loudmouth is so loud. Summer nationals was this weekend and some of the cars there were 50 times louder than mine

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I am going through the same dilemma right now. Not sure which route to take. My hawk is stock but the muffler is going. It's the original chambered SLP muffler that came from the factory on the hawk. Louder than a stock bird but not LM loud by any means. I actually LOVE the sound of the stock hawk exhaust but I don't think there is any way to get another muffler exactly like the original SLP system. My pipes seem to be rotting a bit too hence my desire for a full cat back.

I seemed to remember slowass having a magnaflow but i can't remember which kit you had curtis. I know pajeff has a magnaflow and cats and his car is so quiet at idle that you can't hear it. lol. leaves me in a tricky spot. I want something that's more or less just as loud as what i have now. though i'm sure the big magnaflow would be almost perfect if i went with no cats but i plan on keeping the car somewhat emissions legal.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My old Beretta GTZ had a Magnaflow stainless cat and muffler connected via a custom 2-1/2" cat back pipe and resonator. Deep, low idle and a nice low growl at 4k rpm.

If you were to go with headers AND the Magnaflow, your car will sound like this...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

but is that with or without cats? from the sound i'd say that's catless. pajeffs car sounds so smooth and mellow... almost like a foreign car V8.

Thread Information