black
    2002 trans am

magnaflow vs hooker

This question has really been bugging me. I don't know which one to choose because I haven't heard them. I have pacesetter headers and ory. I do not want rasp but I want a good deep tone. Which would yall prefer? I've heard a hooker idle before and it sounded pretty dam good but don't know if it has any rasp while driving. Please help!

black
    2002 trans am

Forgot to mention that I'm just talking about the muffler. Which muffler would yall choose between the two. And which one has a good deep tone with no rasp

NBM Z28

You are better off getting a full catback. Between those 2 i would opt for the hooker catback over magnaflow. They actually would both sound the same as far as loudness goes at startup and idle. But i give the edge to hooker over magnaflow because it has a more deep rumble, and muscle sound to it. Magnaflow has a smooth crisp sound.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have Hooker ceramic LTs/ORY. I put a Hooker Aero chamber on it since my other muffler developed a loose baffle and it rattled sometimes, sounded like crap. I did like the loudness tho!

When I put on the Aero chamber, I thought it was too quiet suddenly. Then I followed my car a few times. Now I'm convinced I made the right decision. It has no rasp, it is quiet and no droan at highway cruising, and the car sounds mean as hell and is plenty loud when I get on it. A nice alternative to Flowmaster, and I have some Flowmasters on my '68 Pontiac Le Mans droptop.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

+1 for the Hooker Aerochamber, I installed just the muffler on my stock 99 Z28 and loved the difference. My current car also has the Hooker catback with LT's and ORY and I couldnt be happier. I've heard a few magnaflow catbacks and IMO I think they sound a lil bit deeper but still like the sound of the Hooker better. Either way I think Hooker and Magnaflow are two of the better choices for our cars, I'de like to hear how the Cherrybomb kit sounds but no one ever posts a sound clip.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Magnaflow!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    '98 Z28

I have Magnaflow with LTs and no cats. I love the sound. Just loud enough, no drone, no rasp.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
    You are better off getting a full catback. Between those 2 i would opt for the hooker catback over magnaflow. They actually would both sound the same as far as loudness goes at startup and idle. But i give the edge to hooker over magnaflow because it has a more deep rumble, and muscle sound to it. Magnaflow has a smooth crisp sound.
    I pretty much agree with this.
    Although my preference would be Magnaflow.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

NBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I pretty much agree with this.
    Although my preference would be Magnaflow.
    Right on Mr.Luos!!! I ran magnaflow and just got rid of it for my TSP bullets.

I will say that the SLP lid was my first mod then followed by Magnaflow. I will say after i added magnaflow my car and throttle response was better by the SOTP feel. So that shows how good of a free flowing system it is. Just wished it was a tad more louder. Still a good system though.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1 View Post
    I will say after i added magnaflow my car and throttle response was better by the SOTP feel. So that shows how good of a free flowing system it is. Just wished it was a tad more louder. Still a good system though.
    Somewhere around this board is a thread that shows how well most brand name catbacks tested against each other, there was both flow and decible numbers if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure Magnaflow did a lil better than the Hooker on both ends, just throwing that out there in case it helps your decision. My vote still goes for the Hooker system, but if I ever needed a new catback I would probably get either Magnaflow or look into the CherryBomb kit.

black
    2002 trans am

well seems like yall have good things to say about both of them so either decision i think i would be happy with the results. i went ahead and ordered the aerochamber hooker so lets see how it goes when i install it. thanks guys

NBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin78transams View Post
    well seems like yall have good things to say about both of them so either decision i think i would be happy with the results. i went ahead and ordered the aerochamber hooker so lets see how it goes when i install it. thanks guys
    I think you made a great choice with the Hooker catback. It sounds alot better in my opinion as far as sound goes.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Couldnt go wrong with either, I went with Hooker and love it with ORY and Pacesetter LT. The grunt at 2000 RPMs is amazing

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah you prolly woudn't be dissapointed with either.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

With long tubes, no cats, cam and a magnaflow, it droned to much for me. I changed the muffler to an aerochamber and all is well. That was like 6 years ago. To this day im beyond happy i switched as my car sounds great

Black
    '98 Z28

Just for the record, I have no drone at all with longtubes, no cats, and magnaflow catback.

Thread Information