Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

magnaflow question

This is a discussion on magnaflow question within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ive been wondering this for the longest time. Is this replacement muffler the same muffler that comes with the whole ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    magnaflow question

    Ive been wondering this for the longest time. Is this replacement muffler the same muffler that comes with the whole Magnaflow catback set up? If it is this would be way cheaper than buying the whole catback.
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=625

  2. #2
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    You will pick up a few h.p, but the purpose of buying a whole catback is not only for a better flowing muffler, but for also bigger pipes.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  3. #3
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Bigger piped, stainless, the tips, i would hold off for the catback.
    It may be cheaper but a magnaflow really isnt expensive as for a catback

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    There really isn't a huge difference between the stock pipes and the Magnaflow catback. I laid them both out on my garage floor for a side-by-side comparison:



  5. #5
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    ^^^ I love my magnaflow

  6. #6
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    Pics speak for themselves. Catback setup is nice but the HP gain comes from th[MEDIA][/MEDIA]e muffler not the pipes. Biggest exhaust problem on a fbody is the ypipe if u look at the stock one it is flat for.better ground clearance.
    Just get the muffler and I got some nice corsa clones from afterthought auto for $55.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Well my situation is this. I have a Hooker catback, and i have Tips that i already like on my car. I just wanted to get something a little louder and different. So i already have the bigger piping and all the goodies, i just want a different muffler so in that case the whole catback would probably be a waste of money.

  8. #8
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Magnaflow muffler will not be louder. Unless you go with something smaller than the catback muffler.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Well my situation is this. I have a Hooker catback, and i have Tips that i already like on my car. I just wanted to get something a little louder and different. So i already have the bigger piping and all the goodies, i just want a different muffler so in that case the whole catback would probably be a waste of money.
    Long tube headers and a 3" y pipe will make any exhaust loud.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Magnaflow muffler will not be louder. Unless you go with something smaller than the catback muffler.
    Ok, perfect answer that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Long tube headers and a 3" y pipe will make any exhaust loud.
    I already have these u speak of

  11. #11
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Pics speak for themselves. Catback setup is nice but the HP gain comes from th[MEDIA][/MEDIA]e muffler not the pipes. Biggest exhaust problem on a fbody is the ypipe if u look at the stock one it is flat for.better ground clearance.
    Just get the muffler and I got some nice corsa clones from afterthought auto for $55.
    Not entirely true. For starters the factory I-pipe on non SLP optioned cars is 2 3/4 inch verses 3 inch for SLP option or aftermarket.
    The tailpipes are 2 1/4 for non SLP cars, and 2 1/2 on SLP optioned cars or the aftermarket setups.

    So in a nutshell, you can't just throw the aftermarket magnaflow on there without some fabbing, swelling, adaptors, welding, and making new tailpipes, or what have you.

    There is in fact a gain in pipe size. I found this 10 years ago when we tried many systems for comparison. All the 3 inch systems performed nearly the same, didn't matter what muffler was on it. We stepped up to the 4 inch mufflex and dropped 3 tenths and gained 4 mph. So there is in fact power to be found in pipe size when you are dealing with these crappy single pipe systems. Bigger is better, even if it is only a 1/4 inch on the I-pipe and a 1/4 in on the tailpipes. I'd prefer more though from my experience.


    As far as the stock Y-pipe, I've been down that road too. Removing it and installing the aftermarket SLP mandrel bent round Y pipe,,,both with and without cats,,,,and found no gain in ET or MPH what so ever on my car over the factory flat Y-pipe. So for those looking to keep the stock system and replace the Y,,,,don't spend your hard earned $200 on replacement Y's unless you are changing the entire system.

  12. #12
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Long tube headers and a 3" y pipe will make any exhaust loud.
    I have long tubes and a 3 inch Y-pipe (without cats) on both of our SS's with the factory optional SLP dual/dual exhaust (one with CME). Neither are loud at all. As a matter of fact my wife couldn't tell a difference which is good, because she drives one of them and she hates noisy cars

    As a matter of fact, mine being a convertable, noise is a huge issue. Don't want the top down with the engine blaring away. But with the setup I mentioned above, it's extremely comfortable, very easy to carry on a conversation without needing to scream over the engine. You really have to get aggressive with it just to get a little growl out of it. Which is great, no need to attract unwanted attention.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have long tubes and a 3 inch Y-pipe (without cats) on both of our SS's with the factory optional SLP dual/dual exhaust (one with CME). Neither are loud at all. As a matter of fact my wife couldn't tell a difference which is good, because she drives one of them and she hates noisy cars

    As a matter of fact, mine being a convertable, noise is a huge issue. Don't want the top down with the engine blaring away. But with the setup I mentioned above, it's extremely comfortable, very easy to carry on a conversation without needing to scream over the engine. You really have to get aggressive with it just to get a little growl out of it. Which is great, no need to attract unwanted attention.
    Stock muffler? I can see that being some what quiet.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Ok, perfect answer that makes sense.


    I already have these u speak of
    Loudmouth 2 is pretty loud with headers, and its fairly cheap.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lunatikgixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St Pete, FL
    Posts
    1,429

    Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

    Ya ive heard from a lot of people the LMII is omega loud. I was actually checking out the TSP rumbler catback with a single dynomax bullet muffler. I bet thats loud as shit lol

  16. #16
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Stock muffler? I can see that being some what quiet.
    It's not the stock tin spot welded muffler as in what was installed on most Z28's and T/A's.

    It's the optional SLP dual/dual stainless welded case muffler that was also part of the CME package, which is still a mild sounding muffler, even with headers, yet still performs just as well as any of the 3 inch catbacks
    Same 3 inch I-pipe and 2 1/2 inch tailpipes as the aftermarket stuff.

    Great if you want the performance without all the noise, too bad it's not made anymore.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's not the stock tin spot welded muffler as in what was installed on most Z28's and T/A's.

    It's the optional SLP dual/dual stainless welded case muffler that was also part of the CME package, which is still a mild sounding muffler, even with headers, yet still performs just as well as any of the 3 inch catbacks
    Same 3 inch I-pipe and 2 1/2 inch tailpipes as the aftermarket stuff.

    Great if you want the performance without all the noise, too bad it's not made anymore.
    Oh yeah I forgot about that system. My bad.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Ya ive heard from a lot of people the LMII is omega loud. I was actually checking out the TSP rumbler catback with a single dynomax bullet muffler. I bet thats loud as shit lol
    TSP rumbler is just as loud as the orginal loudmouth. Its brutal with long tubes. Just make sure you run cats or it will be very raspy.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    gta
    Posts
    12
    My stock SS system was pinched down over the axle and even the tailpipes were flattened on the sides for whatever reason! Anything has got to be better than that! The new 3" stuff fit without problem, so why did SLP flatten the smaller stuff?

  20. #20
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by pewter2002 View Post
    My stock SS system was pinched down over the axle and even the tailpipes were flattened on the sides for whatever reason! Anything has got to be better than that! The new 3" stuff fit without problem, so why did SLP flatten the smaller stuff?
    Are you sure you had the optional SLP stuff? Because mine isn't flattened like that, and it isn't smaller than the aftermarket 3 inch stuff.

    The I-pipe is in fact 3 inch, and the tailpipes are 2 1/2's. They perform just like the 3 inch aftermarket stuff, I've been down that road with several different 3 inch catbacks. The SLP dual/dual runs right next to em'
    So if you like the sound don't waste your money on another 3 inch catback unless you want something louder, or you want to make an actual improvement with a 3 1/2 inch or 4 inch I-pipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Magnaflow Cat-back question
    By Ironwolf in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
  2. Question about Magnaflow cat backs
    By muteki in forum External Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
  3. Magnaflow Catback question.
    By BuBbABFP in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM
  4. Magnaflow Catback Question
    By TheKitchenSink in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM
  5. Magnaflow question : you won't believe this
    By JettRink in forum External Engine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •