Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

MAF sensor gut it or keep screen in?

This is a discussion on MAF sensor gut it or keep screen in? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Ricer Cooker So if you change the airbox you don't need the screen to "smooth" out the ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer Cooker View Post
    So if you change the airbox you don't need the screen to "smooth" out the air flow and if you have a turbo, or any forced induction, with a constant cross sectional airflow you also don't need a screen. Can you also get a MAP(sorry don't know if they come with one) sensor instead and take out the MAF and screen altoghther? Shoot me down if I'm going in the wrong direction here, but I thought the MAP gave a more accurate account for the incoming air because of the ideal gas equation PV=nRT and it's not subject to immenent fluctuations in cross sectional air flow readings taken by the MAF.
    From what I have read from various sources, a MAF is superior to a MAP for airflow calculations. All the MAO does is tell the PCM what load the engine has (senses vacuum or lack of) and the TPS tells the PCM the throttle. Then the PCM looks up airflow in its memory to calculate PW, for the given throttle angle, RPM, MAP and a few other things. The MAF tells PCM actual airflow.

99 Firebird Formula

To each their own, this will be a debate that never ends, that is for DAMN sure.

I believe the screen is there because the same MAF was used on the trucks, which had a substantial bend in the tubing going to the MAF, so it was there to straighten air flow. On an f-body you don't have that problem.

I remove mine on every car I have, it takes 2 seconds and it's 5hp. How do I know? I did it on the dyno one night. I had maybe 3-4 pulls right in a row. I stopped only for the amount of time it took to knock the screen out (1 minute) and ran again and showed 5hp across the board.

Last week my A4 car went 8.39 @ 85.4mph. This week, after knocking the screen out, doing the tb bypass and home-porting the throttle body, I went an 8.23 @ 87.5mph.

Whether you want to remove the screen or not should be a personal choice

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Are you using SLP MAF? Don't think sooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! lol
    No but it seems like despite what the original poster said, most of the talk in the thread was concerning stock pieces.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

When I put my MTI lid on I noticed that the previous owner had some how banged up and crushed the screen, so I took it out. WOW. What a difference. I am sure that if it wasn't blocking airflow it wouldn't have made a diference.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I took mine out, and have had no problems...well with the exception of the computer tune letting me run just a little lean. The tuner said that he was going to go a little conservative since the engine itself isnt broke in yet. <2500miles on it. As soon as I get some mileage, he will put more of an aggressive tune to it, and I should see about 400. Without the screen in it!!

This seems to be an on going debate. After talking to SLP and telling me,,,don't remove the screen I got a little more curious. I know this has been considered one of the free mods for years.
    As far as what benifit the screen offers? I don't see any. Straightening air flow? I just don't buy that theory.
    Since I just picked up this 02 SS I stopped by a local tuner here to look into getting the car tuned. He had a list of things he wanted me to do to the car before a tune, and one of them was,,,,,remove the screen.
    Telling me the screen is there for nothing else but to keep trash out of the motor. Also telling me it takes up about 20% of area available, and simply removing the screen increases cfm capability,,,and he can compensate for any A/F ratio differences in his tune.
    I believe SLP tells you to keep them in for the simple fact that,,,,most people just rip them out and do nothing else,,,,which skews the A/F ratio. Most people will not see any gain by just doing this.
    After talking to several tuners, you will not reap any benifits from removing the screen unless a tune is performed afterwards to compensate for it.
    This seems to be agreed upon among several tuners in the area. I have to agree, I also see the screen as nothing more than a restriction, a safety precaution for trash and debree for GM, and the car was tuned at the factory as such. Removing it will cause A/F ratio issues,,,,removing the screen is recommended by every tuner I have talked to,,,as long as a tune is done afterwards. Larry.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This seems to be an on going debate. After talking to SLP and telling me,,,don't remove the screen I got a little more curious. I know this has been considered one of the free mods for years.
    As far as what benifit the screen offers? I don't see any. Straightening air flow? I just don't buy that theory.
    Since I just picked up this 02 SS I stopped by a local tuner here to look into getting the car tuned. He had a list of things he wanted me to do to the car before a tune, and one of them was,,,,,remove the screen.
    Telling me the screen is there for nothing else but to keep trash out of the motor. Also telling me it takes up about 20% of area available, and simply removing the screen increases cfm capability,,,and he can compensate for any A/F ratio differences in his tune.
    I believe SLP tells you to keep them in for the simple fact that,,,,most people just rip them out and do nothing else,,,,which skews the A/F ratio. Most people will not see any gain by just doing this.
    After talking to several tuners, you will not reap any benifits from removing the screen unless a tune is performed afterwards to compensate for it.
    This seems to be agreed upon among several tuners in the area. I have to agree, I also see the screen as nothing more than a restriction, a safety precaution for trash and debree for GM, and the car was tuned at the factory as such. Removing it will cause A/F ratio issues,,,,removing the screen is recommended by every tuner I have talked to,,,as long as a tune is done afterwards. Larry.
    Couldnt have said it better myself!!

LOL, thanks but it's funny, it seems not many people agree or maybe are uninformed? I don't know for sure, and I have not seen back to back comparisons at a dragstrip or dyno,,,but after having several tuners tell me to remove it and then have a tune performed,,,,I tend to think they have found something that others have not. And since new aftermarket MAF's and even some cars now come factory without the screens installed, I tend to lean towards them being an unnecessary obstruction.
    I'm taking mine out, and having a tune performed right afterwards as per recommended by my tuner. If it yields anything thats great, if not thats fine too,,,it's not like I am buying a $300 part and finding out it does nothing for the car,,,,you won't spend a dime with this mod,,,other than a tune,,,and if you are doing that anyway,,,as in my case, it's not a concern and not really worth arguing over. Larry.

regal blue
    1999 trans am convertible

leave it! i just removed my maf sensor while installing a ram air kit and found some tiny pieces of trash on my maf screen. the screen kept that shi- out of my engine so i know i will keep mine. a question for a new thread might be " how does trash get past an air filter and air box that seems to be sealed quite well?" ps the trash found its way through my stock gm air box, could be even more trash through an aftermarket lid or air box

Sounds like maybe your lid has been apart at some time in the past and someone wasn't carefull about letting dirt in. I have also seen these cars at the track where people are removing the filters and reinstalling just the lid and then go racing. Who knows what trash got sucked up in there, this is bad practice in my opinion. Hard to say what these cars have been through unless you bought it new.
    These filters are sealed pretty tight as you said though.
    It seems the MAF screen has it's good and bad points. But most seem to agree that the screen serves no real purpose other than an extra filter of sorts that really isn't necessary if all other details are attended to.
    I have had the screen out of my 97 Z-28 for a long time with no ill affects at all. But I keep the filter cleaned and oiled regularly and I am carefull with the air intake tract when it's apart, blowing it out with compressed air before it's reassembled etc.....
    I haven't removed it from the 02 SS yet though. I probably will when I get a chance to tinker with the car again. Cheers. Larry.

red
    01 z28

well i took mine out because the last time i had a nitrous back fire that shit went everywhere and i was affraid if it happened again it might suck it into the motor

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs down A reason NOT to remove the screen....!!!

My car was just serviced (6/8/07) by the last owner at a gm dealership in his home town. Today being the first day home since our return trip home, I did some inspection, first off; the air filter. Apparently when the tech (yeah!!!) cleaned/checked the air filter, they just unclipped the two front clips and pulled the lid up without removing the clamp around the bellows!!! This caused the lower seal to come loose on the bottom of the bellows and you see what got in! That flat black strip stuff is some type of glue/seal/gasket that went around the inside of the lid end where the bellows goes in, I removed the rest before it got sucked up, cleaned it all up and then put it back to the correct position, another great reason to service you own car!!!

That looks like you were the victim of letting someone else work on the car. Sorry to hear that. That trash is way too large to even make it past the air filter if the system was connected and working properly so I really don't consider it the job of the MAF screen but in this case you got very lucky.

This looks like it's more of a case of,,,,don't let flat rate techs work on your car rather than a case of whether to remove the screen or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information