Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

MAF sensor gut it or keep screen in?

This is a discussion on MAF sensor gut it or keep screen in? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; All that I am asking for is proof. Dyno proven...

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

All that I am asking for is proof. Dyno proven

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Dont get me wrong, the results are pretty much negligable. But like I said. Why have it there if you dont need it?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Ok, I'll give you the SLP MAF sucks ass

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Prove me wrong then. You cant. It flows better with NO SCREEN IN IT.
    K, so just curious since your so ANTI-SCREEN on the maf........ What's your car run now...... 13's, high 12's and you gained how much......? Cause you obviously have proven gains to yourself!!!!!!

So I guess SLP didn't do dyno and multiple other r & d before they released there product. Have you let them know yet also.....?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Man, I'm getting bombarded here. Its physics. When you put something in the way of something else, its going to slow it down. Like I said before, it may only net you a horse or 2. But thats a horse or 2 that you didnt have before.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Man, I'm getting bombarded here. Its physics. When you put something in the way of something else, its going to slow it down. Like I said before, it may only net you a horse or 2. But thats a horse or 2 that you didnt have before.
    It is physics yes, but you are also throwing the calibration off ... which can cause you to run lean. This can cause HP loss and also possibly knock, which also causes a loss in HP. So you want to run without a screen for 1 or 2 HP of airflow, but potentially lose HP due to less fuel being used and possibly knocking, no thanks! Without retuning the MAF Table, the computer is going to get the wrong info of how much fuel is coming in. If the MAF was doing nothing but sitting there, you would have a valid point (much like an exhaust pipe). Truth is the MAF needs a steady and constant source of airflow to predict how much fuel it needs to add. Without that screen to smooth out the air in front of the MAF sensor, the MAF will think there is less air passing by, so it won't inject more fuel, this is because you are allowing more air to flow past it under WOT conditions. And since it is not constant or consistant, it will not be properly calculated for. Now during idle conditions, you could be running rich, this is because now the air passing over the MAF resembles that of a breeze (twirling air), this is very unpredictable and very hard to tune for as the airflow changes quite a bit. Something the MAF can't read very well (backwards flow or airflow readings going out the intake tract). If the tube in front of the sensor was constant, then you would not need a screen. This is proven by many of the worlds best authorities in automotive EFI calibrations (PhD's) time and time again, and you think they are wrong. Remember, the screen in F-Bodies (or what ever car has a screened MAF) is due to the design of the intake lid, it causes huge tabulations as it enters into the throttle body (without the MAF in place, SD Mode). It is not on there to increase HP, it is on there to accurately predict the airflow to properly add the amount of fuel the engine requires.
    Last edited by 12secSS; 01-20-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    It is physics yes, but you are also throwing the calibration off ... which can cause you to run lean. This can cause HP loss and also possibly knock, which also causes a loss in HP. So you want to run without a screen for 1HP of airflow, but potentially loos HP due to less fuel being used and possibly knocking, no thanks! Without retuning the MAF Table, the computer is going to get the wrong info of how much fuel is coming in. If the MAF was doing nothing but sitting there, you would have a valid point (much like an exhaust pipe). Truth is the MAF needs a steady and constant source of airflow to predict how much fuel it needs to add. Without that screen to smooth out the air in front of the MAF sensor, the MAF will think there is less air passing by, so it won't inject more fuel, this is because you are allowing more air to flow past it under WOT conditions. Now during idle conditions, you could be running rich, this is because now the air passing over the MAF resembles that of a breeze (twirling air), this is very unpredictable and very hard to tune for as the airflow changes quite a bit. Something the MAF can read very well (backwards flow or airflow readings going out the intake tract). If the tube in front of the sensor was constant, then you would not need a screen. This is proven by many of the worlds best authorities in automotive EFI calibrations (PhD's) time and time again, and you think they are wrong. Remember, the screen in F-Bodies (or what ever car has a screened MAF) is due to the design of the intake lid, it causes huge turbulations as it enters into the throttle body (without the MAF in place, SD Mode). It is not on there to increase HP, it is on there to accurately predict the airflow to properly add the amount of fuel the engine requires.
    I can agree with that. Without a computer tune, its doing nothing for you. Probably hurting you since you are going to run lean. I was saying after a computer tune though.

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    It is physics yes, but you are also throwing the calibration off ... which can cause you to run lean. This can cause HP loss and also possibly knock, which also causes a loss in HP. So you want to run without a screen for 1 or 2 HP of airflow, but potentially lose HP due to less fuel being used and possibly knocking, no thanks! Without retuning the MAF Table, the computer is going to get the wrong info of how much fuel is coming in. If the MAF was doing nothing but sitting there, you would have a valid point (much like an exhaust pipe). Truth is the MAF needs a steady and constant source of airflow to predict how much fuel it needs to add. Without that screen to smooth out the air in front of the MAF sensor, the MAF will think there is less air passing by, so it won't inject more fuel, this is because you are allowing more air to flow past it under WOT conditions. And since it is not constant or consistant, it will not be properly calculated for. Now during idle conditions, you could be running rich, this is because now the air passing over the MAF resembles that of a breeze (twirling air), this is very unpredictable and very hard to tune for as the airflow changes quite a bit. Something the MAF can't read very well (backwards flow or airflow readings going out the intake tract). If the tube in front of the sensor was constant, then you would not need a screen. This is proven by many of the worlds best authorities in automotive EFI calibrations (PhD's) time and time again, and you think they are wrong. Remember, the screen in F-Bodies (or what ever car has a screened MAF) is due to the design of the intake lid, it causes huge tabulations as it enters into the throttle body (without the MAF in place, SD Mode). It is not on there to increase HP, it is on there to accurately predict the airflow to properly add the amount of fuel the engine requires.
    So if you change the airbox you don't need the screen to "smooth" out the air flow and if you have a turbo, or any forced induction, with a constant cross sectional airflow you also don't need a screen. Can you also get a MAP(sorry don't know if they come with one) sensor instead and take out the MAF and screen altoghther? Shoot me down if I'm going in the wrong direction here, but I thought the MAP gave a more accurate account for the incoming air because of the ideal gas equation PV=nRT and it's not subject to immenent fluctuations in cross sectional air flow readings taken by the MAF.
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Step away from the MAF and it's screen. Leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Step away from the MAF and it's screen. Leave it be.
    Does the Vette' have one(pretty exhausted topic, I know)?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I took my screen out when I out put my "Turbonator" in and gained a whopping 27 hp & 23 lbs of tq!!!! The screen removal had to help with those gains!!

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

So the turbonator actually works. I havent heard of it really doing much.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

He is joking.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Ricer Cooker View Post
    Does the Vette' have one(pretty exhausted topic, I know)?
    Yup.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

So the turbonator actually works. I havent heard of it really doing much.
    Nah dude I'm just playing around, leave the screen be

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    Nah dude I'm just playing around, leave the screen be
    Ok then...you confused the crap out of me. Dont do that man.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Ok then...you confused the crap out of me. Dont do that man.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

You're a dick man...lol

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

The screen keeps the gnats and mosquitos out.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

All that I am asking for is proof. Dyno proven
    Well you went to the dyno and you were lean as YOU posted in another thread YOU started!!! But let me guess it had NOTHING to do with you removing that dumb screen................

"I got the dyno...

386HP
    373TQ

I'll post the dyno sheets once I scan them. I was running LEAN too!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information