Green
    1996 Firebird Formula

MAF Sensor, do I need to replace??

I noticed this weekend when driving around, that when going up a steep hill and getting on it a little bit it feels like it misses/skips every now and then. Now the wires that go to the MAF when idling if you put a small amount of pressure on the wires it will cut the car out for a brief second.

I don't know if when going up a hill the engine is shifting to one side just enough to move these MAF wires to cut it out for a quick miss or not. What's everyone else think???

Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah its a 95 Z28 LT1 6spd.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

u can un-plug it and see if it runs better, if so.....u need a new MAF or replace the wires going to the MAF

with the MAF un-plugged the car runs off of a speed density calculation to calculate A/F ratio. at least most cars are like this. idk if LT1 is different.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1Gun View Post
    I noticed this weekend when driving around, that when going up a steep hill and getting on it a little bit it feels like it misses/skips every now and then. Now the wires that go to the MAF when idling if you put a small amount of pressure on the wires it will cut the car out for a brief second.

I don't know if when going up a hill the engine is shifting to one side just enough to move these MAF wires to cut it out for a quick miss or not. What's everyone else think???

Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah its a 95 Z28 LT1 6spd.
    Does the SES(service engine soon) light come on? There should be a trouble code set. Have it checked out.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    u can un-plug it and see if it runs better, if so.....u need a new MAF or replace the wires going to the MAF

with the MAF un-plugged the car runs off of a speed density calculation to calculate A/F ratio. at least most cars are like this. idk if LT1 is different.
    It will run worse, or stall, and set a trouble code if you unplug the MAF sensor.
    Your prob. could be the wire harness, or the MAF. Have it checked by a proffesional. It could save you some money.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

It will run worse, or stall, and set a trouble code if you unplug the MAF sensor.
    Your prob. could be the wire harness, or the MAF.
    is that just LT1's that will stall when u unplug it? because thats how i usually start to isolate problems on other cars. i dont work on many LT1's

Green
    1996 Firebird Formula

Actually after looking at it a little more closely it looks like one of the wires is loose in the plug that plugs into the MAF. Does anyone know if you can splice in a new plug. I'd splice the one I have but the wire is loose way down inside the plug and wouldn't have enough slack in the wire to resplice. I'll take pics if I get a chance....

red
    2001 ss camaro

how many miles the car have?..have you ever put a distributor in it, or plug wires?...the skipping under a load is usually an ignition problem...i know those distributors on a LT1 are bad about moisture. i work on a lot of GM vehicles and i've replaced a few LT1 distibutors..but they are not cheep....expect to pay at least $250.00

Thread Information