Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

MAF, screen removal ?

anybody remove the screen from the stock MAF. Is it a problem to do so
    (it seems restrictive). ??

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

sorry, searched and found the answer. Leave it in !!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Do it.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I took mine out. No problems at all

I did it on all 3 f-bodies I had.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

De-screening the MAF is so hit or miss. IMO, the Cons far out weigh the Pro's. Look at it as how much HP you MAY gain from doing it. Then look at how much headache it may cause for a amount of HP that is so questionable. I have heard people (on here) say they actually 'felt' a HP increase from de-screening the MAF. I find it 100% impossible to actually 'feel' any HP increase from doing this. Leave your MAF alone. Look into other proven areas to gain HP.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I 100% agree with Hi-Po. Lets just say that you gained 5hp which is a far stretch. Then lets say a piece of debri (spell?) hits the MAF wires and wrecks it. Now your out around $300 for a damn sensor for a questionable gain. I ported mine but left the screen in for insurance. In my 76,000 miles I have seen one thing the screen stopped from entering the engine. Thats one thing I didn't have to worry about
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Its hit or miss...

There is no right answer actually..

I swore by leaving it in and got pissed and popped it out.. Runs fine to me....

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

Thanks everyone, I am leaving it in for now.
    BlackSS ... I ported & polished my TB, but how do you port the MAF ?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NitrOmm View Post
    Thanks everyone, I am leaving it in for now.
    BlackSS ... I ported & polished my TB, but how do you port the MAF ?
    You don't, leave the MAF alone.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You don't, leave the MAF alone.
    Thats totally not true. The MAF ends, you cut the metal out of them. Its actually quite simple. I don't really know if it helps that much, but it keeps you busy and may make a difference.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...afapalooza.htm

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Thats totally not true. The MAF ends, you cut the metal out of them. Its actually quite simple. I don't really know if it helps that much, but it keeps you busy and may make a difference.

Porting the MAF= Get out the lappie and start tuning IMO..

My screen was fucked up from the PO and it looked like ass and was blocking some air so I just popped it out... Thunder racing via MBA used to make maf ends. Personally I wouldnt port the stocker at all

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

anything you "think" you feel from descreening the MAF is in your head. leave it in

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I would just leave it in. They put it in there for a reason. And it can help, even though you wont know it till you look at it. When i bought my car i went to clean the air filter and noticed there was something in the ducting. I took it off and my MAF was packed with birdseed the a mouse must have put in there somehow. If i hadnt had the screen that wouldve been sucked down into my engine.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

I am convinced, it stays in.
    I am just wondering if there is a way to free up some more air flow. Has anyone had luck with the smooth bellows or possibly a larger diameter after market MAF.
    Lid, K&N, PPTB, PRC 2.5 heads, Comp Cam 228/.588 112 lsa w/ suporting mods, 96mmNW TB,102mmFast, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, Tune, 4:10's, Aurburn Posi, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter, Stano/ Koni , 18" C6 rims, 295/30 Kumho tires.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    I would just leave it in. They put it in there for a reason. And it can help, even though you wont know it till you look at it. When i bought my car i went to clean the air filter and noticed there was something in the ducting. I took it off and my MAF was packed with birdseed the a mouse must have put in there somehow. If i hadnt had the screen that wouldve been sucked down into my engine.
    No offense and I'm sorry, but this is one the dumbest comments I see on car forums. The EGR and AIR systems are put on our cars FOR A REASON, but 90% (the other 10% being CA residents or people wanting to keep everything stock and unmolested) of members on here remove them for various reasons.

The reason I took mine off is because I have the intake air filter there. That is supposed to stop anything from getting inside the engine. If the MAF was before the filter, then I could see leaving it on, but its not, so yeah...

Disclaimer: I'm not stating I gain any hp off of it...just weight reduction off of the front

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I gotta agree. The corvette mafs dont have the screen. If you have something missing the filter or have a mouse packing stuff in there then you have OTHER issues..

Stock maf =great!
    Descreened maf= ok to me. i did it.
    Ported maf = tune it or go SD

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post

Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    No offense and I'm sorry, but this is one the dumbest comments I see on car forums. The EGR and AIR systems are put on our cars FOR A REASON, but 90% (the other 10% being CA residents or people wanting to keep everything stock and unmolested) of members on here remove them for various reasons.

The reason I took mine off is because I have the intake air filter there. That is supposed to stop anything from getting inside the engine. If the MAF was before the filter, then I could see leaving it on, but its not, so yeah...

Disclaimer: I'm not stating I gain any hp off of it...just weight reduction off of the front
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I gotta agree. The corvette mafs dont have the screen. If you have something missing the filter or have a mouse packing stuff in there then you have OTHER issues..

Stock maf =great!
    Descreened maf= ok to me. i did it.
    Ported maf = tune it or go SD
    I'm with these guys (Sorry Preston,lol) I ported and descreened mine, and have not had one problem, and as camino said, you should not be getting shit into your MAF, thats a filter problem.... If you look at a stock MAF, screen blade and all, then a ported descreened one.... there is night and day difference, yea it may be only worth a few ponies, but to me its giving the engine every chance of flowing better... Some will also argue that it causes tuning problems, but i've seen that go both ways....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?

Thank you! Too many people are still swinging from the "Port your maf, Do ANYTHING to your MAF" tree. What is so hard about leaving the MAF alone? I dont think I will ever understand it. Im just going to start coping and pasting that response in every thread I see about MAF porting/screening.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information