Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

MAF, screen removal ?

This is a discussion on MAF, screen removal ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Thank you! Too many people are still swinging from the "Port your maf, Do ANYTHING to ...

  1. #21
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thank you! Too many people are still swinging from the "Port your maf, Do ANYTHING to your MAF" tree. What is so hard about leaving the MAF alone? I dont think I will ever understand it. Im just going to start coping and pasting that response in every thread I see about MAF porting/screening.
    lol its as stupid as "porting any other sensor"...when sensors are involved...leave it alone..with the exception of people running 90mm+ all the way through..but then go get a 90 mm tb and tune for it.

  2. #22
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I'm with these guys (Sorry Preston,lol) I ported and descreened mine, and have not had one problem, ....


    Maybe you do, maybe you don't, maybe you don't know (because close loop operation covers it up)... do you have the before and after logs to support your argument? I can offer a pile of hard-data that says it's a problem. The logs in the link I posted in my previous post show and prove the same as well.

    I'm all for going fast, especially on a budget. If this were worthwhile, I'd recommend it; I'd have no reason not to

  3. #23
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Logs tell all.

  4. #24
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

    There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?
    Interesting read. I never logged anything so I can't say either way. But I do have a stock MAF sitting around that I could pop on if I needed to . I didn't notice any improvement from doing the P&P so I may just put the old MAF back in.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I am going to have to post up some pics of my MAF... looks like Moe, Larry and Curly got their hands on it. I pulled the air box and MAF when I did my coolant, hose and belt change a few weeks ago and found that it has been de-screened, de-bladed, and carved on like a Thanksgiving turkey. It even has one or two holes hacked in it that are covered by the bellows. How the asswipe that managed this fine piece of modification managed not to break the wires is beyond me... The funny thing is the car runs great with no evidence of overfueling or other issues. Some people really should not own tools or attempt to use them!

  6. #26
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am going to have to post up some pics of my MAF... looks like Moe, Larry and Curly got their hands on it. I pulled the air box and MAF when I did my coolant, hose and belt change a few weeks ago and found that it has been de-screened, de-bladed, and carved on like a Thanksgiving turkey. It even has one or two holes hacked in it that are covered by the bellows. How the asswipe that managed this fine piece of modification managed not to break the wires is beyond me... The funny thing is the car runs great with no evidence of overfueling or other issues. Some people really should not own tools or attempt to use them!
    you never know, the car may have been tuned around it already.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    The car doesn't have any other mods and by the quality of the work that was performed on our MAF the prior owner probably thinks a tune is what you do to a piano. Once you perform a tune is it "locked" in so that it can not be messed with, ie. with a handheld?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 04-20-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Punctuation -- again!

  8. #28
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    I should post pics of my MAF...it was debladed/descreened by the previous owner and was tuned when he got headers and a lid installed. Last fall, I decided to clean up the hack-job that was the deblading of the MAF by the previous owner. I took my dremel with a 120 grit sanding wheel on it and "ported" the ends smooth and polished it smooth with Mother Mag Polish. The ONLY reason I did this is because the previous owner had it tuned after he messed with it.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I will trade you...

  10. #30
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I will trade you...
    Me?

    I'm going Speed Density with my H/C/I swap, so it will be for sale if you want it

  11. #31
    515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,702

    440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

    Just buy a Granatelli and quit all this nonsense!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

  12. #32
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    The before pics are on my dead desktop...here are the after pics.






  13. #33
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Dam. MBA used to sell these.. I wonder if anyone had issues with them..

  14. #34
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Dam. MBA used to sell these.. I wonder if anyone had issues with them..
    Keep in mind mine is a stocker.

  15. #35
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

    There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?
    Thanks Frost

  16. #36
    Junior Member HAWK12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    WOW freaking geniuses, just take out the damn MAF screen any body ever look at a book and read it can know that the screen is only there to straighten out the air, BUT since F-bodies and corvettes have a straight filter to intake it is no longer necessary, thats why in 2002 GM realized this and took it out of the Z06, just dont touch the wire's and you wont have a problem.

  17. #37
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Keep in mind mine is a stocker.
    Maf housing are the same though.. just billet

  18. #38
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK12 View Post
    WOW freaking geniuses, just take out the damn MAF screen any body ever look at a book and read it can know that the screen is only there to straighten out the air, BUT since F-bodies and corvettes have a straight filter to intake it is no longer necessary, thats why in 2002 GM realized this and took it out of the Z06, just dont touch the wire's and you wont have a problem.
    yea okey

  19. #39
    Junior Member HAWK12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8

    Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

    Laugh your ass off but im still right

  20. #40
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK12 View Post
    Laugh your ass off but im still right
    1) weird that you want me to blow you..
    2) is a screened maf tuned to read/register the amount of air coming in..with or without the screen..the stock tune expects the screen to be there when reading from the maf..and adjusts accordingly.. as with the ls6 etc..the tune is expecting no screen and is tuned accordingly..taking off the screen dramatically changes the true amount of air that is entering the intake..so when the maf read how much air is coming in..the pcm takes into account the true amount based on a formula with the screen in place..since those little wires can in no way read all the air entering the intake at 1 moment..so you screw the reading of the true amount of air entering the intake and messes up your a/f . so i must politely retort "no "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: MAF screen
    By 02silverbird in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
  2. maf screen removal
    By tholly in forum General Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. De-screen MAF? Yes or No...
    By StuntmanMike in forum General Help
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 11:58 AM
  4. Need new MAF screen, Help!!!
    By FLEX3269 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM
  5. WTB: Screen for ls1 maf or cheap maf with screen
    By carman in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •