Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

MAF, screen removal ?

This is a discussion on MAF, screen removal ? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Thank you! Too many people are still swinging from the "Port your maf, Do ANYTHING to ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thank you! Too many people are still swinging from the "Port your maf, Do ANYTHING to your MAF" tree. What is so hard about leaving the MAF alone? I dont think I will ever understand it. Im just going to start coping and pasting that response in every thread I see about MAF porting/screening.
    lol its as stupid as "porting any other sensor"...when sensors are involved...leave it alone..with the exception of people running 90mm+ all the way through..but then go get a 90 mm tb and tune for it.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I'm with these guys (Sorry Preston,lol) I ported and descreened mine, and have not had one problem, ....

Maybe you do, maybe you don't, maybe you don't know (because close loop operation covers it up)... do you have the before and after logs to support your argument? I can offer a pile of hard-data that says it's a problem. The logs in the link I posted in my previous post show and prove the same as well.

I'm all for going fast, especially on a budget. If this were worthwhile, I'd recommend it; I'd have no reason not to

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Logs tell all.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?
    Interesting read. I never logged anything so I can't say either way. But I do have a stock MAF sitting around that I could pop on if I needed to . I didn't notice any improvement from doing the P&P so I may just put the old MAF back in.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am going to have to post up some pics of my MAF... looks like Moe, Larry and Curly got their hands on it. I pulled the air box and MAF when I did my coolant, hose and belt change a few weeks ago and found that it has been de-screened, de-bladed, and carved on like a Thanksgiving turkey. It even has one or two holes hacked in it that are covered by the bellows. How the asswipe that managed this fine piece of modification managed not to break the wires is beyond me... The funny thing is the car runs great with no evidence of overfueling or other issues. Some people really should not own tools or attempt to use them!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am going to have to post up some pics of my MAF... looks like Moe, Larry and Curly got their hands on it. I pulled the air box and MAF when I did my coolant, hose and belt change a few weeks ago and found that it has been de-screened, de-bladed, and carved on like a Thanksgiving turkey. It even has one or two holes hacked in it that are covered by the bellows. How the asswipe that managed this fine piece of modification managed not to break the wires is beyond me... The funny thing is the car runs great with no evidence of overfueling or other issues. Some people really should not own tools or attempt to use them!
    you never know, the car may have been tuned around it already.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The car doesn't have any other mods and by the quality of the work that was performed on our MAF the prior owner probably thinks a tune is what you do to a piano. Once you perform a tune is it "locked" in so that it can not be messed with, ie. with a handheld?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 04-20-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Punctuation -- again!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I should post pics of my MAF...it was debladed/descreened by the previous owner and was tuned when he got headers and a lid installed. Last fall, I decided to clean up the hack-job that was the deblading of the MAF by the previous owner. I took my dremel with a 120 grit sanding wheel on it and "ported" the ends smooth and polished it smooth with Mother Mag Polish. The ONLY reason I did this is because the previous owner had it tuned after he messed with it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will trade you...

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I will trade you...
    Me?

I'm going Speed Density with my H/C/I swap, so it will be for sale if you want it

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Just buy a Granatelli and quit all this nonsense!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

The before pics are on my dead desktop...here are the after pics.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Dam. MBA used to sell these.. I wonder if anyone had issues with them..

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Dam. MBA used to sell these.. I wonder if anyone had issues with them..
    Keep in mind mine is a stocker.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nah it totally is true. Porting the MAF RUINS it, so do the ported MAF ends. They make them inconsistent, non-repeatable in measurement and jack your fueling WAY out until you retune for them. A 40% change in fueling is insane, and that's what you can expect. Don't take my word for it though, look at this guy: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...ar-dies-2.html Unhooks his 'ported' MAF and his trims go from +35 to +45% down to 4% in SD with the MAF unhooked. I junk about 1-2 MAFs a month for customers who have 'ported' them and now they won't run the same AFR twice in a row on the dyno to save their lives.

There is just not some big gain to be had by jacking the MAF around. I don't understand the high volume of threads that concern this. The MAF is a [once] calibrated sensor that is directly responsible for fuel delivery to the car. How can you 'port' a MAF and have any idea of it's impact without the software to log before and after and fix the AFR change that you cause when you mod them?
    Thanks Frost

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

WOW freaking geniuses, just take out the damn MAF screen any body ever look at a book and read it can know that the screen is only there to straighten out the air, BUT since F-bodies and corvettes have a straight filter to intake it is no longer necessary, thats why in 2002 GM realized this and took it out of the Z06, just dont touch the wire's and you wont have a problem.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Keep in mind mine is a stocker.
    Maf housing are the same though.. just billet

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK12 View Post
    WOW freaking geniuses, just take out the damn MAF screen any body ever look at a book and read it can know that the screen is only there to straighten out the air, BUT since F-bodies and corvettes have a straight filter to intake it is no longer necessary, thats why in 2002 GM realized this and took it out of the Z06, just dont touch the wire's and you wont have a problem.
    yea okey

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Laugh your ass off but im still right

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK12 View Post
    Laugh your ass off but im still right
    1) weird that you want me to blow you..
    2) is a screened maf tuned to read/register the amount of air coming in..with or without the screen..the stock tune expects the screen to be there when reading from the maf..and adjusts accordingly.. as with the ls6 etc..the tune is expecting no screen and is tuned accordingly..taking off the screen dramatically changes the true amount of air that is entering the intake..so when the maf read how much air is coming in..the pcm takes into account the true amount based on a formula with the screen in place..since those little wires can in no way read all the air entering the intake at 1 moment..so you screw the reading of the true amount of air entering the intake and messes up your a/f . so i must politely retort "no "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information