Results 1 to 19 of 19

MAF ported ends

This is a discussion on MAF ported ends within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i was looking on the ws6store.com site and saw the MAF ported ends by Fast Toys. Looks like it will ...

  1. #1
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    MAF ported ends

    i was looking on the ws6store.com site and saw the MAF ported ends by Fast Toys. Looks like it will significantly increase airflow without having to change to an aftermarket sensor. I know people say the stock setup is good to 500hp but why do people get bigger TB's and manifolds with such a small area of air passing through the stock MAF ends? i am newer to the ls1 world but as in everything else, a team only performs as good as its weakest link and the stock MAF ends have to be the weakest link in just about any air induction setup.

  2. #2
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I agree with your theory. The stock MAF seems like a restriction to me also, especially with all the rage about 90-92 throttle bodies and intakes,,,,but there are so many LS1's making good power with the stock MAF still in place so it's hard to say.
    My 02 still has the stock MAF and I have no plans to seriously tax it's potential so it will stay for now.
    My wifes 00 however has the ported ends on the stock MAF body. I bought it this way. It has taken me a little while to dial in the MAF tables on this car, I think due to the ported ends, since my 02 was a breeze.

    These ported ends don't have the screens in them either and have a much smoother entry/exit. Seems to work okay now that the MAF tables are decent. But I don't think I'll even get close to taxing the stock MAF on this car either, but they were already there so.......

    But it seems like this might be a better way to go for those that want to experiment. You can easily swap the ends back and it's much cheaper than buying an entire MAF.

  3. #3
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    i was told that if you get the ported ends you could throw off the maf. i dont know how tru that is but the guy that told me knows what he is doing so i tend to believe him. just my .02.

  4. #4
    Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Studio City, CA
    Posts
    1,054

    Red
    2001 Camaro SS

    interesting...subscribing!

  5. #5
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    ill have to do some more research i guess. i know there are people out there making loads of power on the stock MAF but just imagine if they replaced that with something better...... prob pick up 20hp lol. just seems so restrictive with that divider and those screens. one air filter is enough lol.

  6. #6
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    just get a speed density tune so you dont need one at all.

  7. #7
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i was told that if you get the ported ends you could throw off the maf. i dont know how tru that is but the guy that told me knows what he is doing so i tend to believe him. just my .02.
    Yes it does, just as if you were replacing the entire MAF with an aftermarket.

    As with either mod, you have to retune the car and calibrate the MAF tables accordingly. Thats all there really is to it.

    As I said, my stock MAF equipped 4th gen was very easy to dial in once Frost straightened me out. Our other 4th gen with ported MAF ends was a little more finicky. Not bad, just took a little more time, thats all. Once the MAF tables are squared away it'll work like any other. Ours is running great, good throttle response and gas mileage is excellent.

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    just get a speed density tune so you dont need one at all.
    Winner

  9. #9
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Ya thats the way to go if you plan big power. It's just not as forgiving when you make changes to the setup. Thats where your own tuning software would come in handy.

    Also if you drive in very different conditions as I do where elevation goes from 7,000 feet to 1,000 feet in a matter of a few miles speed density could give you fits and should be something to consider as well.

    I know it's throwing me for a loop on my carburated hotrods. Trying to find a happy medium is time consuming, especially if you're as picky as me about your tuning.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-23-2009 at 09:54 AM.

  10. #10
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    This will start up a huge debate, but heres my thoughts on the topic....

    IMO, I ported my MAF in the first month i had the car, and have not had one problem, even the elusive buttdyno felt better, but if you look at the stock ones, theres a big fin in the middle that yes i realize "straightens the air out", but the same air is still moving over the sensors, some will say this will lead to bad readings and be a pain to tune, but mine tuned just fine..... so my position on the subject is to either port them yourself, there is a great write up on the install university, or like you said buy the ends,

    but on a side note, Speed Density FTW!!!

  11. #11
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    This will start up a huge debate, but heres my thoughts on the topic....

    IMO, I ported my MAF in the first month i had the car, and have not had one problem, even the elusive buttdyno felt better, but if you look at the stock ones, theres a big fin in the middle that yes i realize "straightens the air out", but the same air is still moving over the sensors, some will say this will lead to bad readings and be a pain to tune, but mine tuned just fine..... so my position on the subject is to either port them yourself, there is a great write up on the install university, or like you said buy the ends,

    but on a side note, Speed Density FTW!!!

  12. #12
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    so one person says it was harder to tune without the center fin and another person says the car made more power.... sounds like a hit or miss kinda deal on these things.

  13. #13
    MANWHORE TEAM suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's Bedroom
    Posts
    4,548

    Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so one person says it was harder to tune without the center fin and another person says the car made more power.... sounds like a hit or miss kinda deal on these things.
    i think alot of it all depends on how it was done.....

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so one person says it was harder to tune without the center fin and another person says the car made more power.... sounds like a hit or miss kinda deal on these things.
    Well I don't know if you are referring to me or not, But I don't remember a center fin in there, maybe the ported ends removes that???. I'll have to look at the stocker on my car to see what it is you are talking about. But as for the ported ends on my wifes car it did seem a little more finicky with the AFR jumping around a bit, took some creative MAF tables to straighten it out but it wasn't bad by any means.
    Just comparing to my stock MAF on my car the AFR was rock solid throughout and very easy to dial in.

    As far as more power I can't say. The ported ends were there when I bought the car. It wouldn't be that difficult though to take the stocker off my car and throw it in the trunk of my wifes car next visit to the track. Would be interesting to see if there is any difference. An easy swap between rounds and maybe a simple reflash with the laptop.
    The nice thing about the ported ends is being able to switch back to the stockers if need be.

  15. #15
    Powerstrokin LT1 > LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Aurora IL
    Posts
    1,264

    Trans Am owner
    former

    Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    ill have to do some more research i guess. i know there are people out there making loads of power on the stock MAF but just imagine if they replaced that with something better...... prob pick up 20hp lol. just seems so restrictive with that divider and those screens. one air filter is enough lol.
    the screen is there to strighten out airflow.

    since f-bods have straight ari intkaes, its not really needed. descreening it is a popular mod.


    I believe some of the later LS6 corvettes came from the factory with no screen on the MAF

  16. #16
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1 View Post
    the screen is there to strighten out airflow.

    since f-bods have straight ari intkaes, its not really needed. descreening it is a popular mod.


    I believe some of the later LS6 corvettes came from the factory with no screen on the MAF
    Ya I've heard that before. I somewhat struggle with that theory but one thing is for certain,,,,that screen at the very least will slow down the air flow and thats not condusive to performance.

  17. #17
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    maybe i will try to de-screen the maf and see how that works then. if that is good then i might see about removing the center fin or thinning it out somewhat because its definetly a restriction.

  18. #18
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    maybe i will try to de-screen the maf and see how that works then. if that is good then i might see about removing the center fin or thinning it out somewhat because its definetly a restriction.
    The only MAF I ever descreened was on my wifes 97 Z28 many years ago. She drove it everyday up until it was totalled a few months back. Never had any ill affects from doing it unlike some of the horror stories you hear.

    Even though it worked fine, I don't plan on descreening the stock MAF on my 02. And since my wifes new 4th gen came with ported ends the screens were already gone. I assume the screens come off with the ends??? I'm not sure on that, I haven't looked at it that closely, but if thats the case it would be easy to reinstall the stock ends with screens if the ported ends don't work out for you. Thats my thought anyway. It's nothing perminant and can be switched back, unlike removing the screens themselves, they tend to get a little mangled and won't go back in.

    But you have peaked my curiosity. I may just pull the ported ends MAF off my wifes car and take it with me to the track next week when I race the 02 and see if it's worth anything over the stock MAF. I need to play with it this week on the street and check the AFR first so there aren't any mishaps at the track.

  19. #19
    Member Siciliano15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Age
    33
    Posts
    263

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The only MAF I ever descreened was on my wifes 97 Z28 many years ago. She drove it everyday up until it was totalled a few months back. Never had any ill affects from doing it unlike some of the horror stories you hear.

    Even though it worked fine, I don't plan on descreening the stock MAF on my 02. And since my wifes new 4th gen came with ported ends the screens were already gone. I assume the screens come off with the ends??? I'm not sure on that, I haven't looked at it that closely, but if thats the case it would be easy to reinstall the stock ends with screens if the ported ends don't work out for you. Thats my thought anyway. It's nothing perminant and can be switched back, unlike removing the screens themselves, they tend to get a little mangled and won't go back in.

    But you have peaked my curiosity. I may just pull the ported ends MAF off my wifes car and take it with me to the track next week when I race the 02 and see if it's worth anything over the stock MAF. I need to play with it this week on the street and check the AFR first so there aren't any mishaps at the track.
    if u end up trying it out, def let me know how it went.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Ported MAF ends
    By ldurham in forum External Engine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 03:59 AM
  2. SLP LS6 intake, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttle body, Ported MAF
    By cru ss n in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM
  3. whisper MAF ported ends!!!
    By white01ws6 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
  4. Tbyrne Ported MAF Ends Black,Weiland Intake,Hpp3 97-98 for sale.
    By SSDoubleK in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
  5. Ported MAF Ends...Bad/Good?
    By HiLL99SS in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 09:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •