Results 1 to 17 of 17

MAC headers install - easy?

This is a discussion on MAC headers install - easy? within the External Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm planning on getting headers. I have very basic experience when it comes to engine knowledge. I was planning on ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    san francisco, ca
    Posts
    65

    blue
    2000 camaro z28

    MAC headers install - easy?

    I'm planning on getting headers. I have very basic experience when it comes to
    engine knowledge. I was planning on getting LT but I hear the installation can be
    a real pain in the arse but the MAC mids are a bit easier. How much easier is my
    question ? Is it is semi-easy, what tools would i be needing? I live in California and having to pay for installation and de-installation (if that is even a word ) for smogs reasons can be a real drag.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or comments
    btw - this is for a 2000 z28

  2. #2
    Impounded MikeSomething's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420

    Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

    I have a Pewter '00 Z/28 I'm about to put the same headers onto.
    Try this man...
    http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...%20Headers.mht

  3. #3
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    They can be tough to get in too. Good thing is, once in their are no k member clearance issues.

  4. #4
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    I thought LTs and Mid Lengths are about the same in difficulty for installation.

    I havent seen someone get MACs for a while.

  5. #5
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    If you're going to go through the trouble of installing headers (its a job), do yourself a favor and just get long tubes. They will give you a much better sound and more power.

  6. #6
    Formulatastic yellowv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,271

    Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

    Actually getting the headers is is not really a big deal. Just get the car up high enough and the drivers side will give you a fight but nothing too bad. The longest part of the job is taking off all the old stuff and putting it all back together. Fighting with the headers from underneath is no more than a 30 minute job. Just go with the long tubes.

  7. #7
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    If you're going to go through the trouble of installing headers (its a job), do yourself a favor and just get long tubes. They will give you a much better sound and more power.
    I remember WAY THE FUCK LONG AGO, when LS1.com was up before going down, they had some dyno numbers and some times and they were THAT much off.

    Shorties were always the supposed joke.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Macs are cake to install. I had very little problems with mine they slide in from the top with little effort. I only took probably about 3 hours all toghter for the install. I also put down damn good number as well with these headers 358hp and 369ft lbs with the mod in my sig.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs


    Sold 01 z28

  9. #9
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    whats the diff HP ratings for the MACS compared to the LT's
    ?

  10. #10
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Macs are cake to install. I had very little problems with mine they slide in from the top with little effort. I only took probably about 3 hours all toghter for the install. I also put down damn good number as well with these headers 358hp and 369ft lbs with the mod in my sig.
    Jesus christ, those are good numbers. Almost unbeleivable.

    Dammit, I need a tune.

  11. #11
    Formulatastic yellowv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,271

    Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Jesus christ, those are good numbers. Almost unbeleivable.

    Dammit, I need a tune.
    I'm sorry but with those mods I think his tuner was being a little generous with the dyno numbers. Where in Florida did you tune and dyno? There are a lot of shops down here known to give inflated numbers. Have you ever run the car? Trap speeds don't lie.

  12. #12
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    I dont know of any local tuners... Any.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I'm sorry but with those mods I think his tuner was being a little generous with the dyno numbers. Where in Florida did you tune and dyno? There are a lot of shops down here known to give inflated numbers. Have you ever run the car? Trap speeds don't lie.

    The car was tuned by jeremy formato a very well known tunner here in fl and I was there the entire time he tuned/dynoed the car. We made about 5 pulls on the car each making alittle more than the last makeing a few tweaks before each pull untill he was satisfied with the hp/tq curves. Even he was very inpressed with the numbers my car put down.





    Unfortuantly I have not run my car, I have a sticking clutch pedal problem since the header/tune install plus I got in an accident about a month ago and am still waiting to get it back.
    Last edited by JonB; 05-01-2007 at 08:10 PM.

  14. #14
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I thought LTs and Mid Lengths are about the same in difficulty for installation.

    I havent seen someone get MACs for a while.
    My MACs were WAY easier to install than my Hooker LTs. The MACs dropped in from the top with no more than removing the passenger-side coil-packs and valve-cover.

  15. #15
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    If you're going to go through the trouble of installing headers (its a job), do yourself a favor and just get long tubes. They will give you a much better sound and more power.
    My MACs made 18-20rwhp with the factory GM cats welded in the Y-pipe (do NOT use MAC cats). That's not too shabby even by today's LT standards. As long as you clean up the flashing/welds and "adjust" the coating, they are great headers. Cut off the ball-flanges and replace with Flowmaster collectors for even more HP. They are easy to install, don't bang on anything and offer great clearance.
    The only things MACs lack is torque production, which is why I went with Hooker LTs on my first H/C set-up. My cam was already hurting things down low, so I didn't want the MACs to exacerbate it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JonB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,458

    Black
    2005 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    As long as you clean up the flashing/welds and "adjust" the coating, they are great headers. Cut off the ball-flanges .
    Oh yeah I did all of the above as well. Once you get ahold of a set of these you will see how restricted the primaries are because of the shity welding they do on them. I just took some time and smoothed them out real good and then cut the ball flange off which I think also helps with the install makes them easier to slide in from the top. Also I would look around the for sale sections and try and pick as set of them up before you go and buy a new set. There seems to be a set for sale like every week. I picked mine up for $100 locally so I am very pleased with the bang for the buck.

  17. #17
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Oh yeah I did all of the above as well. Once you get ahold of a set of these you will see how restricted the primaries are because of the shity welding they do on them. I just took some time and smoothed them out real good and then cut the ball flange off which I think also helps with the install makes them easier to slide in from the top. Also I would look around the for sale sections and try and pick as set of them up before you go and buy a new set. There seems to be a set for sale like every week. I picked mine up for $100 locally so I am very pleased with the bang for the buck.
    Yep. I sold my MACs for $300 with the GM-catted Y-pipe. If I were to buy another LS1 F-body as a driver, I'd have to look around for another set of MACs. You made a nice score for $100!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Shift Light Install, easy questions
    By KMdef9 in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. easy way to install these?
    By Qwk94Z28 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
  3. How easy to Install new manifold?
    By LS1 Kahboy in forum External Engine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
  4. TIP, for easy coil pack removal/install passenger side!
    By ibanez7 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM
  5. Header Install Easy/Hard?
    By ss~zoso~ss in forum External Engine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 07:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •